The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Telemarktumalo

Telemarktumalo Go Red Sox!

Oddometer:
    Thinking of buying another bike, but will need to part with the 250L to get it done. Wondering about how much I should ask for it from a friend.

2013 CRF 250L
    ~1000 miles, mostly commuting on pavement
    I rate condition 9/10. No drops.
    Mods and Accesories: Flatland skid plate and radiator guard
    Cycra handguards
    Easton bar
    Manrack

The 2014 is selling for $4999 locally.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. kiwi5

kiwi5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Scoot- i removed my backfire screen and snorkel along with stock exhaust and EJK at 1.5/1.5/2.5, my gearing is at 40/13. I tested with and without snorkel, and without snorkel is definately better ( more power). Why bother with the snorkel at all? Try without it i reckon. I have plenty of power in the low to mid range and only wish for a bit more power to pass slow moving traffic! ( 305cc big bore kit is my next mod). One question: can you maintain 100kph (gps verified) on the highway with that gearing?
  3. lccpmj

lccpmj Totes amaze balls

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE]

It's probably best to just play around with the settings. My bike has full Arrow system, DNA air filter, stock airbox and EJK controller. My settings are 1.5,3,1.5. Which are different from a lot of peoples on here. With the stock Stage 1 settings it was way too rich. The bike flies now :-)
  4. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's probably best to just play around with the settings. My bike has full Arrow system, DNA air filter, stock airbox and EJK controller. My settings are 1.5,3,1.5. Which are different from a lot of peoples on here. With the stock Stage 1 settings it was way too rich. The bike flies now :-)[/QUOTE]

DNA Air filter?.....pleated gauze like a K&N, or some sort of foam? Thanks.

Found it here: http://www.dnafilters.com/en/products.html?pid=62&sid=1396:CRF-250L-2013

I think RamZ has it on his site too
  5. lccpmj

lccpmj Totes amaze balls

Oddometer:
    Yep, like a K&N and the same as on RamZ website.
  6. ScootToots

ScootToots Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Central Okanagan, British Columbia Canada
    Hi Kiwi,

I wanted the snorkel to stop migrating water on the airbox lid from being sucked in. That lid does get wet. Not losing anything by having a snorkel, since I chose the size. You asked if with 13/42 gearing I can hold 100kph. Yes, I can. It's just at higher revs than before, but not excessive. Having said that, I chose the Dunlop D606 for my new rear tire (needs it), and the D606 is slightly larger in diameter, so that will lower the ratios a tad, lowering the revs a bit.
  7. ScootToots

Oddometer:
    It's probably best to just play around with the settings. My bike has full Arrow system, DNA air filter, stock airbox and EJK controller. My settings are 1.5,3,1.5. Which are different from a lot of peoples on here. With the stock Stage 1 settings it was way too rich. The bike flies now :-)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you're right, I do need to play with them a bit. After a couple more rides I'll see if it looks too carbon'd up or not. I hate adjusting the EJK. It skips steps all the time. I have to get lucky when I press the mode button to advance to the correct next step.

I've bookmarked the site for that air filter. It would be nice to have a high flow filter that has some backfire protection, and is cleanable!
  8. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    Me on my CRFL, and two buddies (WR450 and WR250) doing some of the technical sections of the Calabogie Boogie last Sept.

The CRFL makes an excellent submarine.
  9. ScootToots

Oddometer:
    Ed,

I've tried to find retailers of this filter. I can only find The DNA online store, which is on Greece, and their price is $129.00 CAD (plus shipping) when converted from Euros. You mentioned RamZ has it on his site. Who is ramZ, and how do I find his site? I've googled ramZ to no avail.

Thanks,
  10. kiwi5

kiwi5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be buying a foam air filter from Uni Filter Australia- these have gotten excellent reviews. I will try out Scoot's air box mod- i didn't think any water got under the seat. Probably because it is a long hot and dry summer over here in NZ!
  11. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Lmods.htm#airfilter

They are on sale.
  12. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just lurking on the KLX forum. This applies to us also. Somebody had coolant loss, and the instrument cluster failed to indicate overheating, because if the coolant has all leaked out, the sensor can't read air. DOH! I'll bet Honda stripped a KLX to find out how to do it better.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107591
  13. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    On sale???? The factory store says 80 euros...that converts to $110 US and it says includes shipping....I didn't bother to look further because that's too expensive in my book, and cotton mesh/gauze K&N type filters don't filter well enough in my book. I'd think it was ok for street use, but MI is loaded with sand and dusty roads.....nope...don't want to go there.
  14. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.motorcycle-exhausts.co.uk/Honda_DNA_Filters--category--776.html#.Uwad4fldVaE

$88 USD, still a little expensive for my tastes also.
  15. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks...$88 = better...but then again, $13 for the stock filter...88/13 = 6.77 filters...12,000 mi filter change interval = 12,000 * 7 = 84000 miles.....that's a frikkin long filter change interval....based on that...plus you gotta buy filter cleaner and oil....maybe not a good economic choice
  16. ScootToots

Oddometer:
    Man, you sure have to check prices eh? A stock air filter at my local Honda Powerhouse costs $31.00 CAD. CRF's Only sells the same OEM filter for $21.00 CAD. Put together a sizable order to mitigate the shipping charges (which to Canada, are inflated about 300% over actual shipping cost), and it becomes a good deal.
  17. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure of shipping US to Canada, but these are reasonably priced.

http://www.hondapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053e49af870021c54be212e/air-cleaner

http://www.partspitstop.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053e49af870021c54be212e/air-cleaner
  18. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    $CA 31???? for a filter? Holy crap...$US 13 from cheapcycleparts in California
  19. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    So of these 2 plus this one.

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053e49af870021c54be212e/air-cleaner

Can anyone comment on which has better shipping costs? I'm planning on getting 3-4 air/oil filters. CRF'sonly stiffed me on shipping for the 13t.
  20. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    I just off the phone with Bill Blue and thought I'd share this for anyone interested.

He was at the dyno measuring his wifes CRF250L. On their dyno they got 17.4 HP at the rear wheel. (I realize that's lower than most dyno #'s)

With his 305cc kit and pipe he got 25.1 HP.

He did some porting on the head, oversize valves and hasn't checked it yet as they were working on another engine. From riding it he told me he thinks it'll have another 2 or 3 hp over the Big Bore.

All of Bill's Dyno #'s seem low/conservative. If you were to compare to this test in cycleworld:
    http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/02/27/dual-sport-motorcycle-comparison-test/
    They measured the CRF @ 19.6 RWHP (or about 15% more than on Bill's Dyno) and the Yamaha WR250R at 24.8.
    Adjusting the dyno #'s would give Bill's 305cc 28.8 RWHP and will have to wait and see on the run with the ported head but I'm sure it's over 30!

Of course the 305cc kit is new so no info yet on reliability but my KLX351 has been amazing reliability wise! http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954209