SV1000 where ya all at?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Dalmatino, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho Got Beaver?

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  2. jesse v

jesse v Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    All bagged up:

[​IMG]
  3. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guys...

How do you clean the oil cooler? I ride mine on every kind of weather and both the radiator and the oil cooler have I guess water residue over them that doesn't come off easily. I don't want to brush the radiator and oil cooler, actually I don't go near them when washing the bike, not even with a sponge, as I'm afraid of bending the fins.
  4. jesse v

jesse v Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Ditto that question. I too have frequently been troubled by my dirty oil cooler and radiator.
  5. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
    I use a pot and pan nylon bristle brush. You could use compressed air too. 1500 psi + pressure washers will bend and damage the aluminum fins so avoid that getting too close.

Garden hose sprayer should get most of the stuff out of the inside of the coil. You would have to remove it and back flush the radiators to REALLY clean it out, but unless they are full of mud or something.
  6. ganze

ganze lone biker of the apocalypse

Oddometer:
    when it's 108 degrees I don't ride that much and when I don't ride the svk much I start lusting after other bikes. I got on a friends inline 4 sport tourer the other day and was moved by how little I liked it at all. I couldn't wait to fire up the big twin and twist the loud knob.
  7. J_White

J_White should be working

Oddometer:
    Rode mine today to attend my kids softball tournament, it sat in the sun
    for about four hours with roughly 7/8 tank of fuel - when I started it to
    leave, it died, acted flooded, would fire then die 6-8 times before I ever
    kept it running.

vapor cannister I'm guessing, flooded?

Anyway, just got done bypassing it and noticed something under the rear
    of the tank that did not look OEM. Little round plastic tube with label
    saying "checker sports" and wires - black, blue, red.
    It is plugged in-line between two of the factory connectors.
    After looking at the wiring diagrams and colors, I'm guessing
    it's a delimiter, gear postition "spoofer" probably to show 4th gear?
    Can't find anything searching the net except some chatter about an out- of- business co.

These bikes don't have any sort of gear position display other than
    a neutral light - do they? I'd unplug the delimiter if it would gain me
    a top gear light, but???

edit: for anyone interested, I'm pretty sure the Buell pegs part number is N0006.1AD
    pair, L&R about $40 with shipping
    Hope to get the set I have ordered next week, I'll put up a picture after I get them fitted.
  8. goatroper

goatroper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. gtbensley

gtbensley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its been way to long since anyone has posted in this thread, bump with a picture

[​IMG]
  10. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    My SV at a motorcycle parking area:

[​IMG]

I hadn't really took the SV on a long-ish ride, so last Saturday I decided to ride to Taxco. It's nothing amazing, like 220 miles... OMFG...

The seat was the least of my problems, my back and my wrists were killing me! Also my legs did feel cramped after a while. I like this bike, but I just can't manage to bond with it... It's almost like a love & hate relationship, very few rides have been truly enjoyable, but those that have been, were amazing.

Last Saturday wasn't one of those times. I did enjoy the ride, the twisties were nice and I was practicing my body positioning (which is quite different to a DP bike or a Standard), but I really wanted to get home. The bike was killing me, and the fact that I decided to walk around in a town to visit a church, while wearing full gear, just made matters worse.

All in all, the only "flaw" I can find on the SV1K is the heat in the frame. The rest of the bike is fine, for what it is. I can't understand why the poor thing got so much hate.
  11. ganze

Oddometer:
    been off my bike for most of the summer but now that it's getting cooler I had the rear master cylinder replaced (under warranty) changed the fluids and rolled the sv out. it's been awesome ripping it up the last few days, been riding like a squid and I need to grow back up or I will be having a serious talk with the law.
  12. jfurf

jfurf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, sounds like it might be the TRE mod, which is very common among SV1k owners. If you go over to SV-Portal.com you'll find a bunch of info about it.
  13. Silverbeard

Silverbeard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Enjoying a coffee break , The Putty Road North West of Sydney. Mines the black SV - 05, my mates on the silver 03

[​IMG]
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  14. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    That black 05 is pretty!

I've seriously thought about making my SV1KS into a naked one, but I want a real OEM conversion and it is kinda expensive. I hate how naked conversions look with aftermarket parts, they reek of wrecked bike.
  15. jfurf

jfurf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Silverbeard,

Nice looking SV. Where did you get that cowl/wind deflector mounted above the headlight? Is that the stock piece off the later model SV650? I've always liked the look of the 650's piece, but I wasn't sure if it would fit the SV1K.
  16. ganze

Oddometer:
    Weird I know, but humor me.

I would like to find a way to get about 25-40mm extra travel on the front and back. The back is easy, buy a new shock, but the front is much harder to figure out. That with riser bars would make the bike a Multi Strada starter kit for about 1/5 the cost. As it is, dirt and gravel roads are really a test of one's character, or display of one's stupidity. Since I have no funds for selling and buying a more versatile bike with character, humor me. How could I get an inch to inch and a half more travel up front?

oh, and for those of you who want to tell me how dumb this is and how it would just ruin a good bike by making a bad different kind of bike.... I get it.

just humor me, how could I get more travel up front without breaking the bank?

ganze
  17. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess the easiest way would be to swap another set of longer 46mm forks, several bikes use that size, for example, the ZZR600.

BUT, I'm pretty sure that there are lots of people willing to trade ADV bikes for sportbikes. Most of the ADV bikes are owned by people that consider offroading to ride over some grass in the sidewalk in front of the Starbucks.
  18. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally I have pictures of my SV1KS worthy of this thread!

Weeeee!

[​IMG]

Wait, isn't Mexico supposed to be a desert!?

[​IMG]
  19. jesse v

jesse v Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    More pics of your conversion-to-naked please :)
  20. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's no conversion, that's a real SV1000 "N". They kept selling the Naked one in Europe, Australia and Oz alonside the SV1000S for the entire run. I think USA/Canada were the only ones that didn't got the naked one after 2003.

(We never got either one)

You can do it to your bike, with OEM bits. But it gets stupidly expensive FAST.