The 'No Pissin and Moanin' DR650 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by AST236, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Glad I could help out! :freaky
  2. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Thanks AG.
  3. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    PS, I bought Eibach springs (front and rear) from Jesse in 2006.
    I weigh 210 lbs. with gear. Jesse recommended the 7.6 kgs. spring with my stock shock. I since scored an Ohlins, sold off the stock shock.
    Front springs are .46 kgs. with Race Tech emulators. Works pretty good on both street and dirt. YMMV. :freaky
  4. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EIB-08002501100/ Googlefoo. Race car springs...? :norton
  5. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    You're about 20-25 lbs. heavier than I (with gear). The only way to figure out what I have, is to disassemble the front forks. Although, based on measurements, more than a few of you have opined that my DR is "in the ballpark" for my riding weight and the type of riding I like to do.
    I have no idea what it is. There's one and it looks like I have a spare set of the shims, cap and retainer, too. The more I think about it, and having just looked at the shop manual, I don't think any of this stuff is for the DR.
  6. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    If anyone needs a set of white side covers, there's a scratched up pair for $50 on eBay. (No connection to me)
  7. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Here it is, the middle of the Winter, and I'm out there in the cold garage installing my countershaft oil seal retainer...

[​IMG]

Fits very nicely.

Need to order a new countershaft sprocket though, before closing it up. Should have guessed it would be shot.
  8. Dusty Danny

Dusty Danny b00b

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]This is us on a break at Chimney Rock, NC. Lots of good curves in this area.
    It was the first tour that my wife (Frau Blucher) did on her new DR650.

Chimney Rock Cafe 2.jpg
  9. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Did I just hear horses..........? :D
  10. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
  11. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Before I got the dr I joined a local dual sport meet up group, but they weren't meeting. The leader gave up the group, so I took it. Went out on a good, road ride Saturday. My dr behaved well, but needs a little carb fine tuning. Had a v Strom, a husky, klr, and the new Honda 250 show up for the ride.

Not much dirt near by, but the Uwharrie forest is about 90 minutes away. Some gravel and about 25 miles of trails. The next decent day will see me down there attempting to stretch my skills. (Currently zilch)
  12. BluesCruiser

BluesCruiser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks but I already have a scratched up pair with FSSNOC stickers on them.:lol3 Took my DR out Sunday for a ride down Mines south of Livermore. About froze my you-know-what off, even with an electric vest! GOT to get a windscreen but need one short enough to be able to stand up. Any suggestions?

Dave
  13. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    I don't like shields on the DR ... especially off road. Hard to see what's out ahead and NOT good if you crash and go through the shield. :eek1 Nice in the cold I guess. It's been super cold in the Bay Area. Mines rd. get icy ... so beware! I don't like Black Ice ... I skip riding when it's below freezing.

If you keep headed South (past The Junction) you can go up to the Lick Observatory. You may have snow and ice on the road up. The West side, going down off the mountain, is warmer, less ice. Some great secret roads heading back North from there.
  14. BluesCruiser

BluesCruiser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agree completely about riding Mines. Rolling down to "The Junction" for a Gerry-Burger and rings is high on my list of good time rides. I go back and forth on the windscreen. It would be nice to have one that is easy-on-easy-off.
  15. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    First off I would suggest getting heated shorts :lol3

A one piece riding suit can make a big difference :clap
  16. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A bit above timberlne, about 11,300 ft asl.

[​IMG]
  17. TrophyHunter

Oddometer:
    Windscreens. I have the Cee Bailey's Sport. Only time it got in my way was on some technical stuff. Other than that, no problems. Only 4 bolts so easy enough on/off.

[​IMG]

When the bike was blue-ish
    [​IMG]

Got smacked in the chest on this trail. Dats me in the back getting ready to get punched.
    [​IMG]
  18. BluesCruiser

BluesCruiser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Troph! Does it actually do anything for you? It looks pretty short.:D
  19. TrophyHunter

Oddometer:
    You sound like my doctor talking to my wife after my last physical.....! :D Somebody was gonna say it.

Yes - takes all the air off of my chest and puts my head in clear air. The relief "scoop" on the screen lets enough air get behind the screen which takes out the buffeting. I know folks have had great success with other screens and if I was all weather road bound, I'd go bigger, but this suits my needs. I'm 5' 9.

I did a 290 mile day a few weeks back - about 50 on dirt - and it helps. Especially since it was 35 F out and we were on back roads at 60 - 70 mph sometimes. I love my heated grips and have a strange feeling I'm getting heated gear for my birthday (it's in my wife's closet waiting to be wrapped - shhhhhhhhh).

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14625-palm-desert-with-pmb/
  20. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    I finally got to the forks this past weekend. This "tool" worked perfectly for loosening/tightening the damper rod bolt. Naturally, I did not have enough fork oil so I only lowered one fork. But, it was simple enough to do.

The oil that I drained was red and did not have much, if any, odor to it. I'm guessing it was ATF. I replaced it with 10# weight fork oil (which smells like 90w gear oil). Now, I need another 6 oz. to do the other fork and complete the job.