ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Dirty in all

Dirty in all Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer:
    I agree 100%. Same exact set up but I did/do tweak the JD Tuner. I have mine mounted up on the frame close to the headlight so I can adjust it while riding. I deal with altitude from 0 - 500ft or so and temps from 10 - 95F. There's a small hiccup that shows its face once every few months so it does require a bump up or down, mostly in the mid range. Recently I put a supermoto setup on it and the bike is a screamer. I have an Aprilia SXV 550 that is also supermoto setup and sees alot of dirt roads and the occaisional trail. On the pavement I swear the EXC is faster and it does it with less violence, if youve been on an SXV then you know what I mean. The EXC surpases it hands down in all other areas. Ive been on WR250s, Husky 610s, DRZ 400s, KTM 690s and I wouldnt trade the EXC for any of them. In dirt trim is where the EXC really shines. The bike has made me a better rider in every way and the confidence it inspires for me is unmatched by any bike or time in my life with the bikes Ive owned and been on. I was getting a lot of flame outs in the begining when the bike was only desmogged and I found that just bumping the idle up a click at a time until it went away was good enough. Im also a very clutchy rider, I dont mind using it and Im very mindful of it so maybe thats part of my fix or lessened issue with it. Since the tuner Ive not had a flame out, the bike lugs in low rpm very well. :D
  2. avconnect

avconnect Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had zero issues and did not have to install a JD tuner or like device. I simply desmogged and re-mapped and the bike has absolutely no issues. Runs strong and snappy. Added an FMF 4.1 titanium exhaust system, including the PowerBomb header and that added a noticeable boost but was not necessary, just lots of fun and lightweight. No flame outs, no hesitation, no stalling. Just hard snappy acceleration. I did turn the idle up considerably, removed the filter at the throttle body and added a Golan filter plus a fuel sock in the tank.
  3. djhartm

djhartm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    EU map fixed the stalling & excessive p\backfiring for me.
  4. AussieClay

AussieClay Adventurer

Oddometer:

Already checked TPS and it's fine... also running tank sock and additional inline filter... replace injector filter routinely so I don't think there is any fuel issues.
  5. AussieClay

AussieClay Adventurer

Oddometer:

No kidding.... regardless of the type of bike, is it too much to expect no flame outs, backfiring etc. from a US$11K + bike? With all the emissions crap removed and the unrestricted maps installed it's 90% better but still not 100%.....
  6. Big Poppa T

Big Poppa T I love it when you call me Big Poppa

Oddometer:
    Anyone have an extra set of wheels they want to sell?
  7. PatrickM

PatrickM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the stock exhaust, what's the proper way to remove the noise screen in the end of the exhaust? Does it screw off? Do you just drill it? Does the cap pop off (allowing you to pop it back on later)?

Went down to the San Francisco area and got into riding talk at a local shop... Boy, I am glad I don't have the asinine California rules on how/where to ride! But if I remove that noise restrictor/suppressors, is anyone in California (with a badge) going to notice? I understand the spark arrestor is further down so if they check, life should be fine there...

They were even like "Sorry, we can't even remap the ECUs for our customers due to CARB"

NFS, BLM, state parks and that doesn't even include the miles of dirt available here!

But I did get the 500EXC because it does open up the resale market if I ever do decide to sell.

"what do you mean I have to pay to ride my bike there..."
  8. avconnect

avconnect Long timer

Oddometer:
    The screen screws off.
  9. Chris6_85

Chris6_85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just installed a rekluse Exp. And installed the correct install gap according to the rubber band check. However when riding there was a lot of slipping in the clutch at higher speeds so I backed out the adjustment on the external adjustable slave cylinder to get rid of the slipping in the clutch. Now at idle the bike slightly creeps forward and the tolerance with the rubber and method is way off. It seems to run good and I don't mind the creeping. But is this normal? Any suggestions?
  10. SJktmRider

SJktmRider USMC Veteran

Oddometer:
    with it set up to creep like you have it will it stall if you slam on the brakes? or if you stay still while its in gear will it stall?
    I am about to get a rekluse exp as well. just curious if you have engine breaking at all
  11. Chris6_85

Oddometer:

i did not stall the bike once. with about 25 miles of single track locking up the rear all the time and never stalled it. it just creeps a little. i can start the bike no problem in gear and it does not stall when i put it in gear. engine breaking is different, it will take me and you a little bit to get use to. i found just blip the throttle a little and it will kick in.

also i noticed on the highway 25-45mph with a steady hand on the throttle there was a ever so slight bit of lunging or something around that. i am trying to find the right word to describe what i am talking about. forward and back feeling.

it might do it at all speeds i dont know i that was just my range of speed on the road. how ever on the mile long drive way i can go from 0-80 all 6 gears and i dont feel nothing but the pull from the beastie 500

anyone with the rekluse have that?
  12. SJktmRider

SJktmRider USMC Veteran

Oddometer:
    Thanks man. 3 of the people I ride with have rekluses in their bikes. 250 xc, 250xcw and 350 exc.. I like it but knowing this about the 500 I'm sold. I have a 500 xcw and ride strictly single track.. Also race harescrambles so starts are crucial
  13. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Ya know I was thinking about it. I wanted a dirt bike but it came with the supermoto setup as well as a unused set of wheels and knobs.. Before this weekend, I hadn't had the little wheels on since September so was thinking about putting em up but..............
    It's only a 30 min swap and so much more fun on the road (than with knobies) that I've decided to keep em. :D

I do need to program the spedo computer with the correct size front tire cause it's way off now. Not the best cause I know I going about 15 over. .As you can imagine the wheelies are amazing

[​IMG]
  14. Chris6_85

Oddometer:
    ya i just got off the phone with rekluse and the guy i talked to was great. told him my concern and he said there are 3 settings on the pressure plate. and mine was set to 2 which was where it was at for oem seetings. i will try that and see out it does to perfect this nice weapon.
  15. SJktmRider

SJktmRider USMC Veteran

Oddometer:
    Keep us posted
  16. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    Rekluse recommends that you turn the adjustment screw in 1 1/4 turns, I like 3/4 of a turn. The bike will just 'twitch' at idle and is fully engaged by 3000 rpm. No slip, it releases just before idle.

Great clutch. You can run higher gearing. Very fast in tight woods. No down side yet. I may hook the clutch master to the rear brake since I never touch it now.
  17. YAHBO

YAHBO Grip and rip since 1983

Oddometer:
  18. Stifdickerson2006

Stifdickerson2006 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Stiffy - I love the Jager graphics. Too bad you can't rig up a dispenser like this trike :D Looks like a well sorted 500 as well.

[​IMG]
  20. Stifdickerson2006

Stifdickerson2006 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do have one. Its just under the seat. Gotta keep warm on those cold mornings, I think I am having Deja Vue, or its the Jager?