Radio control nuts

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by RC Pilot, Apr 15, 2009.

1. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    Here's my first vid onboard my 48" RC Factory profile Sbach. Camera is 100 grams naked but the plane handles it nicely.

Pardon the dead-stick at the end, I think my ESC is a bit undersized.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8PNx9MGyjws?list=UUymbkCEyMPHrjoWBEgA7Lpw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  3. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
  4. JanB

JanB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They start to look like gliders... but I still have to place the motor, servos & receiver. I am slow...

[​IMG]
  5. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    Another

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MXGZ3FtKHhU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  6. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was lucky enough to have yesterday off...so spent the morning flying. All of these guys got at least one flight.

Starmax Cub...the gear is so weak on this plane...it actually broke on TAKEOFF. Made some changes and I hope belly landing this is now in its past. 1400mm

FMS Stuka, this is really a great flying plane flies like a trainer, 1400mm.

FMS P51B Maiden this plane yesterday...first plane with retracts, we will see how they hold up on the rough field I fly from. This flies very very nice as well...if all the FMS 1400mm planes fly like this I will be getting more.

Parkzone Albatross. Real nice little WWI plane and like all PZ planes it is just a stick battery in and go type plane. Wish the battery bay was a little larger 1700 bats fit fine 2200 are very tight.

FMS P40 this little guy is 800mm and you do have to stay on top of it...likes to be flown quick and you do have to be on it all the time or it will take a bight out of you. I think all their 800mm planes are pilots planes, I have had 3, Lost my skyraider, and still have the Zero and P40. I like them but their small wheels are really hard on my rough strip. I usually take about 10min to get them in the air...they just do not roll...and landing is usually a nose over and sometimes requires epoxy after.

All in all a good day, that P51 is my first plane with retracts...like it a great deal....I am now eyeing their Zero and P40. Gotta build up the toy funds again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a total of 6 flights on the FMS P-51B and what a nice flying airplane. 1400mm and needs a 4s battery...I use 3300, but most use a little larger.

This thing still flies and lands fantastic....it is just amazing how much plane you can get for your money now. I usually only fly foam and ARF balsa planes any longer...just don't have the time to build anymore.

Over on rcgroups there is a lot of talk about the new PZ plane and its cost....that Mustang cost me $230 to my door...lights, flaps, retracts and fit and finish that is very darn nice. In looking at the PZ offerings their Corsair is $250 you have to add flaps, add retracts, and I would say the model looks more toy'ish (for lack of a better word) out of the box.

This hobby has really taken big steps from my first electric plane....a GWS pico tiger moth....and I am wondering if PZ is going to go the same way as GWS....hope not they make some nice planes....but the value for what you get is just not there.
  8. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Below are three of the corsair offerings...Durafly, FMS, and parkzone....the durafly and Parkzone are both right at 1100mm the FMS is larger at 1400mm.

Durafly is around $150
    Fms is around $250
    Parkzone is around $250

I like parkzone....but they really need to up their game.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. RC Pilot

RC Pilot I am not anti social. I am selectively social! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Picked this up Saturday.
    [​IMG]
  10. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    Fly it yet??
  11. XpressCS

XpressCS Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer:
    Got some much needed stick time in today. Too bad it suddenly went from blisteringly hot to hand numbing cold all in the span of a few hours :huh:D
  12. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have had some wack weather as well...last 3 days of 30+mph winds...gusts over 45...you are not flying in that.
  13. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    So, I just bought a used mCPX BL from a guy who works at the hobby shop for $140. He is leaving for Vegas tonight and wanted some spending money and I needed a new heli. Or did I? :eek1

So far I've bound it to my DX7S, set the T/P curves according to the manual, and hovered it in the living room.

So far so good! It sure sounds like a larger helicopter.

I've been practicing my inverted hovering on my Nano. Not easy but I am trying! I like to roll into inverted. What is everyone else doing?

Nose-out hover rolling to nose-out inverted hover reverses pitch but roll stays the same.

I started pitching to inverted but found it more difficult.
  14. Saget

Saget Not quite a full house

Oddometer:
    I like flying straight at myself upright, then doing half a loop. The end result is the same, a nose out inverted hover, but just do whatever works for you!
  15. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    I do the roll thing which usually results in a crash regardless of nose orientation....so ya....I'm good like that. :rofl

This is where a Sim really helps. I download the model I'm flying into the sim and just keep practicing.
  16. XpressCS

Oddometer:
    You'd be crazy NOT to fly in that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfoxjNg-eg0
  17. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
    How can I test to see if I have a bad RX?

(See more detailed post in the quad thread).
  18. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
  19. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
  20. XpressCS

Oddometer:
    That's why I don't mess with HelimaSlicers.

-----------

I've got the itch for another airplane. But I don't know what I want. And I still have to keep it relatively inexpensive. Not looking for 3D, sport is fine, not sure, suggestions?

I was looking at a couple of the HobbyKing EDF Jets. Something that has a decent aerobatic envelope, with a decent speed envelope. Don't necessarily want another foamy, but will consider something made of EPP or EPO, no 3D/precision micro foamy crap. I have my depron airplanes for 3D.