Have you "Downgraded"???

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by N.Penley, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Domiken

Domiken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For that price, maybe even $2500 - SV650 or used TU250x is what I would go with depending on what you are looking for.
  2. bearcat1

bearcat1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sage advice! I also suggest the 1st generation Suzuki SV650. You can find one in your $2K and under range, a lot of bike and smiles per mile for that money.

About 10 years ago I got back into street bikes with a "free" 1981 Honda CB900C that cost me $1000 to get it going. It had charging system issues, rotten tires, gummed up carbs, the usual barn find problems. It was a good start and I sold it for $900, not bad. I then progressed onto other newer bikes.

Two years ago I purchased a low milage 2006 Yamaha FZ1 for $4K (I know, not in your $ range) but I love that bike! I got a good deal on it... hint hint... and that made me like it all the more. Yes you can enjoy a bike for $2K, it keeps you in the wind. Check out those early 2000 era SV650s! Be patient because when you least expect it one will pop up, just be ready with cash to pounce on it!:D
  3. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    NOICE! I have my connie for long range patrols, but for tearing around the city, the SV is just about perfect for me.

:deal What he said. It's what we did, & I'll never look back.

If I had the garage to support it, I'd get an RC8. If I could afford the insurance (and didn't think it'd get stolen), I'd get a GSXR650. But the SV does me just fine. Got mine with 5700 on the clock for $2300 from an inmate.
  4. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't get rid of the GR650. "Modern" bikes come and go. That GR is a classic, and you will not likely find another one in that condition. It even has a centerstand. And look at that seat. All day comfortable. I would love to get my hands on a bike like that.
  5. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    If I was a new rider looking for a first bike, or if I didn't have the money for a newer bike and just wanted something to ride, I'd be all over this:

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4223707531.html

1982 Kawasaki 550 LTD. 4 cylinders, 50hp, 6 speed tranny, full instruments and a center stand. $900. Change out the hideous buckhorn handlebars for $20 and you've got a great all-around bike. Throw on a new set of tires, clean the carbs and you're still well under $2k.

I see these a lot here in CO. I think the dry climate causes less corrosion and wear than in other, wetter parts of the country.
  6. N.Penley

N.Penley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am looking for something to make my 30 mile (each way) commute more enjoyable and rip up the Northeast TN mountains on the weekends (with or without my lovely wife). Something that looks good sitting in the garage would be a plus. Cruiser, duel sport, sport, standard, touring, etc. I don't care as long as it is cheap and fun.

My $2,000 budget is set from the sale of a ton of junk recently sold while renovating the garage.
  7. N.Penley

N.Penley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a clean 550 but it would cost me more to get it home than the asking price.
    I would have to fly out and then pay for fuel and food for a 2 day trip home in December. Shipping wouldn't be ADV approved!
  8. McJamie

McJamie STROMINATOR

Oddometer:
    If I downgrade anymore than I have in the last 15 years, I won't have any bikes left. The last one was a bare chassis with a motor & some other stuff.
    I went from a Concours, to VStrom, to a 250 Sherpa and a bunch old junk that doesn't run. And now my son wants the Sherpa. Being a poor Art student, I'm likely to get downgraded out of existence some time soon.
    bike41 and Trucker jay like this.
  9. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're missing the point.

There are deals to be had right frickin' now. So, go beat the bushes and see what shakes loose.
  10. shakeybone

shakeybone Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sold my BMW and bought a 82 Suzuki GS650E on cl for $500 about 4 years ago. Dirt cheep to insure and registrar. Easy to work on. Fun to ride. I have done almost nothing to it other than regular maintenance.
  11. Milar

Milar Life is an adventure.

Oddometer:
    I've generally found riding enjoyment is not dependent on $$$$'s spent.

I have as much fun riding my $3,000 bike as my $13,000 bike.

M
  12. bmwhacker

bmwhacker Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer:
    I have 40 years of "down grading".
    Bought 2 "New" bikes in my entire life: a 1969 Honda Trail 70 and a 1971 Honda SL 175...over a seventy + odd bikes later, it's been a constant "down grade" ever since 1971.:lol3
  13. nbsdave

nbsdave Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    bought 2 new Harleys, downgraded to a Valkyrie, then an R1200c, then a new Vstrom 650, then to a 2003 Nighthawk (with 12800 mi. and Givi bags). Want to downgrade again, this time to an older cruiser but can't sell the Nighthawk for 3400 (or so). Guess I'll wait till I do.
    Just want something to climb on and go for a hundred mile ride-or a 40 mile ride, just to feel the wind.
    There is a lot of life left in many older bikes and the ability to tinker makes me happy too.
  14. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Add 1k to your budget and I'll sell you a sweet '95 K75 ABS. It is certainly not slow or ugly.
  15. BeeCeeGS

BeeCeeGS WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer:
    I sold an R1150GS because I couldn't justify having so much $$ tied up in a bike, and ended up buying a '93 VFR. The VFR has close to 130000 miles on it now, but it still looks very good. I tried to sell it with GIVI bags, Corbin Seat, heated grips, a nice Wilbers shock, and new tires a while back, and couldn't get a serious bite with an asking price of $1800. This winter, I'll give it a bit of love, and figure I'll just keep riding it until the day comes that I can afford what I really want. Considering what it will do, and how little it's worth, there's just no point in selling now.
  16. DavesNotHere

DavesNotHere Aging squid

Oddometer:
    Went from a FZ1 to a TU250x. Zipping around on 1/4 of the engine is actually more fun. I like that is retro and inexpensive too.
  17. Dilligaf0220

Dilligaf0220 Miserablist

Oddometer:
    I know a few guys that parked their literbikes for smaller commuters. Though mostly for self preservation & law enforcement reasons. They still have fun. Small sumo's have taken off here, mostly because they are quick enough to cut through the sea of commuter cagers, while keeping the odds of crushing law enforcement revenue generation to a minimum.

There's plenty of groups around that do 125 or 250 only group rides.

Then again I am trying to justify a new Diavel to myself as a practical daily commuter. :lol3

Sent from my 'Droid using Boogerhook
  18. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Any vintage groups in your area? Really active group of vintage riders/restorers/modders in Indy (https://www.facebook.com/groups/116447828446737/) and they really love their old bikes. Several of them fix 'em up and sell them on. Some real craftsmen in the group. The rides are generally pretty near your budget. Might find a really good bike through a group like that if you have one in the area.

Most ride the old bikes because they are relatively inexpensive to buy, repair and insure. I've ridden with some of them and they know how to wick it up in the curves. Sure look to me like they are having a great time and they don't seem to feel like they've downgraded.

Doesn't hurt if you don't mind turning a wrench, or wielding a polisher. Can really turn an old rat bike into an object of envy with some elbow grease.
  19. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
  20. mdouglas71

mdouglas71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think anyone with a nicer bike will pretty much downgrade to a adventure/dual sport bike if they're on this forum. Theres nothing wrong with downgrading... Less amenities and nice of a bike = more raw riding experience. Riding around in a dual sport, it changed my riding style a lot..