taking on BAJA with 7 hp!!!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by damasovi, Dec 14, 2011.

1. bykpimp

bykpimp Live and let ride

Oddometer:
    BTW!!! Baja on my 85 (or 86) 150 Elite???? I'm in!!!!
  2. 2WheelDuende

2WheelDuende Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just S of the cheddar curtain (Grayslake,IL)
    Wow! What a great ride thread. I wish I were on the west coast; we have winter starting up here. I haven't ridden since Wednesday last week, and we got some snow on Thursday.

Amerivespa will be in San Diego next summer. I went this past summer in Lake Geneva, WI, and had a great time. I ride with the LG scooter club.
  3. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well today I did it! I hit 5000 kms! it took me just over a year!!1 I know it isn't much but I have enjoy every single one!!!

The were was I pic

[​IMG]

The proof:
    [​IMG] :clap:clap:clap:clap

Damasovi
  4. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well since it is a new year = new accessories!!! here is the "winter edition" of the Beat, I still have to see about them mirrors so i will be adjusting the windshield, but I like it as it is, and it even looks as an accesory instead of a universal windshield
  5. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    here it is
    [​IMG]
  6. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just went back and reread the entire thread. It is nice you still have the Beat. I now have 3 scooters, the '09 Vino 125, '09 Stella 150 (same as Vespa 150, quality not as good) and a 2012 Zuma 125. It is fuel injected, and there have been some issues with them, mostly early models. All I can do is hope for the best. I have a 33L top box and a windshield on it.

In reading the thread, I get the impression there is a paved road from one end of Baja to the other? If so I would love to ride that on the Zuma 125. I took a 700 mile trip on it, from Phoenix to Wickenburg to Quartzite to Yuma, then to Tucson, and back to Phoenix. It did good. I carried an extra gallon of gas just to be safe. Had to ride 22 miles on I-10, which was a bit scary, because it is not legal here on a 125 scooter.
  7. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    YES THERE IS. If you cross at either Tijuana or Tecate it will be about 1,000 miles to Cabo San Lucas (where the Pacific meets the Golf of California). I think the zuma would be a killer scooter for this! I think the tires are good for all the road part and most of the off road sections you would see from the road.. you know THAT beach down there. l

When you do Baja it is necessary to care an extra 2 gallon fuel tank because on road there are sections with over 200 miles of no services, there are options for fuel along the way but if you want to be sure you just carry it!

I am thinking of buying a Zumay and "give" the Beat to my wife so we could go for ice cream, food and what not around town in summer, and latter the Zuma for my baby girl and I get a vespa! lol!!

Cheers amigo!

Damasovi
  8. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    so it has been almost 2 months or more since the last post, and yeah, winter was here and now it is gone.

Today I had no intentions of doing nothing, so I just went to wash my scooter, but first I had to see about the sea.

this was lunch:
    [​IMG]

so I park her over viewing the ocean,
    [​IMG]

then I saw this, the reason for coming..
    [​IMG]

and I can never pass up a self portrait on the beach, so the Beat had to go closer...
    [​IMG]

had a nice quiet time, some stuff to think about and in the 60's F, can't complain!

I hope tomorrow is a repeat of this 3 day weekend!

Cheers amigos!

Damasovi
  9. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    so my friends on scooters have been hiding from winter, so I call them up and mention this weekend was a good one for tiding scooters, not to much fog, not cold and we had 3 day weekend! so what better way to celebrate than with a small ride at 35 mph!

From the group I never know who will come, sometimes they say YES and then don't show up, either way I was ready, and after a small-huge fight with miss damasovi, well I was ready to hit the road!

At then end we were 6! I think this is the biggest attendance EVER! our magical number was 5, but now we were 6.

So at around 8:25 we hit the road, and that was a good thing since I was hungry, and we went north to La Fonda restaurant, somewhere at the end of the county on the northern end.

Here we are arriving:
    [​IMG]

We were all 150 cc and under, 1 motorcicle (on the front right) that is a Honda Unicornio 150 cc 4 stroke and Mendoza was the driver, a new member, next to the left is a Yamaha BW's 125 (or as it known in the US a Zuma) and his driver is Victor (the one wearing the orange vest) next is a Vento 150 cc with Carlos, also a new member. and then is us the 3 "old" members, Ada with her Italika 150 cc and Yasmin also with the same model bike, and last my Honda beat and all 100 cc of power!

This is the view we had for breakfast:
    [​IMG]

here we are READY to eat!
    [​IMG]

food was great, the new members fit perfect and laughter was the guess of honor!!

Going north we took la libre Ensenada-Tijuana and then on the way back we did the same (almost) then before going down to El Tigre we took a left and went into wine country, here are the bikes and people next to the wall of wine bottles:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

a couple more before we go home!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

all in all 130+ km (around 85 miles) and it was a lot of fun!!!

Cheers people!!

Damasovi
  10. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    today's ride map

[​IMG]
  11. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    So after a long time without a ride group, or pics to prove it... some emails went, some emails came ... so it was set! father's day was a no go, but on the 23rd we rode!!

Many were invited, the best came! 9 am was the date, I show up ay 8:59 and I already had since one the ladies!! so it was a sign!! by 9:15 we were all gas up and ready to go. 7 in total.

[​IMG]

Yasmin was ready! and today she had a great day to remember!!
    [​IMG]

on we went, south!!! A little breeze keep the ride fresh, never cold, 20 miles latter the sun was shinning...

I tough the restaurant was farther down, Acambaro, but it was some 5 miles closer... GOOD I was hungry!!

[​IMG]

Farther south from Ensenada the 4 lane road turns into 3, then 2 then 1 lane, doing 30-40 m/hr is a challange when you are blocking the only lane in the only road that goes for 1,000+ miles conecting TIjuana with where the Pacific meets the Golf of California, but NO worries, since it has been widen enough to fit 1 or 2 scooters side by side, so traffic was a non issue.
  12. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    this is the road...

So we went in, got food, WE ATE IT all!!
    [​IMG]

WE happy!!!

The ladies!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not so happy
    [​IMG]

then we were ready to go home, you know the road.. and hugo (the men in the BW aka Zuma) said, we should go to a winery ... we were on the old wine rout... so WHY NOT!!

Just the official picture out side the restaurant
    [​IMG]
  13. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    During breakfast we discuss a lot possible trips and rides, the Baja 1000 this, the Baja 500 that... you know classical stuff from motorcyclist. We then got to the types of motorcycles, yes you know, there are only two types, a) the ones who have fallen and b) the ones that will go down, and all the stories of broken bones came to the table.

ENOUGH!!! lets ride! the wineries are waiting!
    [​IMG]

Ensenada has two wine regions, the old and the new one, this was going to be on the south side (old wine region).

But before we got there, we had to do some dirt sections.

in Uruapan county!
    [​IMG]

get off the road
    [​IMG]

We need no stinking GS's!!
    [​IMG]

After the down hill that is visible in the picture above, we came into a river bed, were there was a lot of sand, no rocks. Remember there are two types of bikers? I won't say who but one of the ladies discover that when in sand... you can't turn directions like on asphalt...

[​IMG]

the good thing is she was doing under 15 m/hr and she landed on soft sand. The three guys behind her jump out of their scooters and got her up, she dust off and was all smiles after that! Also no damage to the scooter.

All smiles! what a camper!!
    [​IMG]

The men that help her!
    [​IMG]

On we go!!! For moments there was enough sand to make the rear spin and "dance" so when that happen we just put our feet down and continue, the beauty of small, light and low seat heights!!

the road was nice!! (sand aside)
    [​IMG]

So we continue...
    [​IMG]

Wine??? I CAN SMELL YOU!!!
    [​IMG]
  14. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    getting closer!!!

We continue to what seem as a lot of fun!! In the many fantasies that I have is to do Baja on my scooter with several dirt sections, read "dirt" with no silk, and this trip was a nice sampler.

You get extra points for finding the scooters.
    [​IMG]

one the best pictures...(that my friend Hugo took)
    [​IMG]

and then we got there!

[​IMG]

A view from above..
    [​IMG]

and so it begun, Chenin Blanc as wine #1/1 (we decided we would not have to complete serving of wines, just a taste)

[​IMG]
  15. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then we just child for a bit,

going up the hill was not for me but for my friends yes.
    [​IMG]

there they found a pound with some fish..
    [​IMG]

a lot of good times, sooner than what we wanted got time to go back, but first another look at our scooters...

[​IMG]

going to the hwy

[​IMG]

I miss the shot, but when I got there, Yasmin had gone down, again a low speed dive, she had a lot of dirt on her pants, no more than that but I am sure she was a little hurt (just ego? maybe) again the guys took care of her and help her up.

[​IMG]

The winery is building a restaurant-hotel-tasting room and Jose wanted us to see it, so had to see it!

[​IMG]

let's follow Victor and his BW's/Zuma
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    the rest!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can you see my BIG fat smile?

[​IMG]

On the way south I took the lead one more time and we got home in one piece, happy and with a date for next July!!!

Damasovi
  17. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    So last week AmeriVespa was held in San Diego. A friend (inmate here) Raja tells me he is coming and if I want to go for lunch and meet him in Puerto Nuevo, capital of the lobster (in state or country..) and how can you say no to a ride, a friend on your first day of summer vacation and the weather was in the 60-80F??? NO you can not.

So my friend comes with his son...
    [​IMG]

So I got to Puerto Nuevo a little earlier and got to an oxxo to drink some juice and eat something. Angel, one of the organizers said they would be there at around 11:30, and at 11:30 I see a BIG group of scooter approaching the peace full town Puerto Nuevo... man they came by the dozens...

I found my friend!!! and we rode the together the last 1/2 mile to the parking lot, look at all this scooters!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a Honda among all the vespas!
    [​IMG]

so we great it, and talk a bit then I said "let's eat!" so inside the restaurant we went.

this is all you need, a big **s tortilla, lobster, beans and rice.
    [​IMG]
  18. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Raja road with his son, father and compadre. Here is a pic of all 3 Kumars
    [​IMG]

I normally don't take food pictures, but this time a had to get a pic of the shrimp ceviche, it came in a pine apple!!! what?? yes first time I had it like that, and Raja took this pic that I don't hate (I don't like pics of my self when I am all alone)
    [​IMG]

aaa all the people, all the scooters!!! what a great time there!!! We spoke about a trip down south, on the scooters?? maybe not, not enough time for me to go since my scooter is only 100 cc and top cruising speed is around 40 mph and for 1,000 miles (x 2) is not much fun if you have to be back in under a week, sure I could do it one week (south bound then another to come back)...
    so Raja is a brand new happy owner of a Huaskavarna Terra, one of this
    [​IMG]

Then it was time to departure!
    The compadre!
    [​IMG]

Let's get ready to leave the parking lot!
    [​IMG]

front view
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    rear view
    [​IMG]

mirror view
    [​IMG]

self portrait
    [​IMG]

some pics from the road
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This guy ask me about my top box... and I think his vespa would look so cool with a aluminum box!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the pace took off! I could not follow, I was doing WOT and only reaching 50 mph, so I decided I was not going to follow no more, I did had to return for the birth day cake, so I wave good bye to the last rider (Angel) and scream that I was returning!

And in a few words and a couple of pics, this was my Lunch with AmeriVespa!!

I hope you like, and post some comments

Damasovi
  19. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    well my group is very much dependent on me, I have been some what budy to ride with them, and I also found my new group call Cochilocos, they all ride bigger bikes, and when I do on the scooter I basicallyide solo but it is fine with me, on other days I take the KLR...

So here is just one picture from last week, 10,000 km in less than 2 years, not bad for a 100 cc scooter, a new tire is waiting, so Monday I will change it.

[​IMG]

Damasovi