Royal Enfield/Indian

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by robberst, Oct 29, 2011.

1. robberst

robberst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So here was the result of my first attempt at lacing a wheel.

I ordered a set of Stainless spokes. I had made a diagram when I took the wheel apart. It had broken and heavily corroded spokes. The original Dunlop WM-2 19 and wm-3 18 seem to be in pretty good condition. The front had some rust and pitting inside. I cleaned it up and put on a coat of primer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I watched a tutorial on youtube then started truing. It was obvious right from the start that there was a dent in the rim. I didn't notice this when I took it apart, but I couldn't get it true with the dent there. I tried beating it into submission with a deadblow hammer and wood blocks, but was unsuccessful.

So I took it back apart.

This is how I straightened out the bad spot.

[​IMG]

pretty crude method, I know, but it was effective.
    I laced the wheel again and adjusted the radial runout and wobble.
    The manual says +/- 1/32

The wobble is less than 1/64 inch and the radial is about the same.
    chris a, Mach Z and spokester like this.
  2. robberst

Oddometer:
    while the corner this project is in may get dusty, I hope it never gets dark:lol3
    Old Mule likes this.
  3. WU7X

WU7X The Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Incredible writeup and pics. I wish I had all the skills shown by you and the peanut gallery. Keep up the great work! :clap
  4. robberst

Oddometer:
    I wish I had the skills that I see shown by many people on here. My father restores antique cars. Somehow I did not inherit the attention to detail or patience that he shows.

I've done a bit of work and collected a few parts since November.

I stopped in Marne, Iowa at Baxter Cycle. They have lots of parts! Cool old British bikes and new Triumphs. It's a great reason to visit Marne (not far from Omaha NE) Iowa. While there I picked up new brake linings for the rear brake shoes. The rivets I got were the wrong size so I riveted them on with aircraft rivets.

I got new stainless steel spokes for the rear wheel. I straightened it in the same fashion as the front. Laced and "timed" it. I must say I found a lot of satisfaction in lacing wheels.

I took both transmissions partially apart. Cleaned, flushed and reassembled.

I measured and cut out new rear engine mounts, then put the engine and 1955 transmission into the frame. (transmission with the push rod actuated clutch)

Cleaned, repacked and reassembled the rear swing arm. I found a pair of Royal Enfield Bullet shocks and have them on there at the moment.

I bought a set of RE Bullet front forks to see if I could somehow make them work. I've been watching for forks on ebay and elsewhere for a year and decided to try to make do with Bullet forks for now. The only problem so far is that the Bullet has a single front drum. So there is no lug to hold the right side brake assembly. I cut out a nice little bracket to bolt on and hold it.

I guess that's about it for now. It's starting to look like a motorcycle again. I'll try to get a photo or two.
  5. robberst

Oddometer:
    Okay, I just went out to the cold COLD garage and snapped a very quick poor picture:vardy

First off here is a small portion of one isle of many old Brit bike parts at Baxters

[​IMG]

Then in the back of the shop here are a few of the Brit bikes for sale.

[​IMG]

Now the current state of the Trailblazer with the front wheel on backwards:lol3

[​IMG]
    Pezz_gs and chris a like this.
  6. robberst

Oddometer:
    I see it's been well over a year since I posted anything.

The Indian has made small progress. This motorcycle was was made into a chopper in the 60's and while I'm trying to make it look somewhat original, I really have no intentions to restore it. Just get it back on the road one day as a "bitsa"

I have a nice sissy bar from the sixties off of it if anyone is interested :D

I've been cobbling together fender brackets and seat mounts.

[​IMG]

I recently got an alternator from an interceptor for it. I need to find an adapter bracket for it. Still need primary drive parts and lots of other stuff.
  7. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    excellent job!.... :bow

I get so tired reading about monkeys on here that could break a wet dream!

The bike looks totally cool, i'm sure it's gonna be great running....:deal
  8. Boondocker1

Boondocker1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice build.
    I'm doing one too (a 57 Apache)... been about a 6 year process so far. I'd be interested in the sissy bar and I noticed in one pic that you might have a set of tall bars as well. I'm interested in those too if you have them.

:evil

I shot you a PM.

Thanks!
    Claude
  9. robberst

Oddometer:
    Time for the yearly update I guess.

Not much has changed on the bike. A busy life has gotten in the way of progress on the Royal Enfield/Indian. Too many other interests, kids, the kids involved in sports and a plethora of other excuses. :nod

My youngest boy and I made a new work bench for it....
    We've been going down to St. Paul for the Viking chapter AMCA and vintage Japanese motorcycle show for a few years. In years past there has been a bike on display on a neat old wooden work bench, so we tried to copy it. I works pretty well! The axle pivot could be a little further back for longer wheelbase bikes like my V-strom.

[​IMG]

I made an air box/battery box out of aluminum. Hammered out the side covers and solid riveted it all together. It's not very nice, but I think will be functional until I can find/afford the proper parts. That has been my plan with lots of the parts. Cobble something together until I can find/afford proper parts and it's still progressing incredibly slow. :lol3

I think the major items still missing are:
    Primary drive/clutch - Both clutches I have are in REALLY bad shape and not just the plates
    Exhaust
    Alternator - I found an Interceptor assembly but need an adapter
    Electrical system
    Fuel plumbing
    Drive chain/ sprockets
    Cables

I've been practicing TIG welding stainless steel. (Haven't TIG welded since Technical College) I may keep on my current theme and cobble together some stainless head pipes.
    Brewtus likes this.
  10. Old Mule

Old Mule Long timer

Oddometer:
    Overland Missouri, home of 1950s sidecar tech.
    If you are at all interested in off-road or ISDT Enfields, look at the Speed Track Tales website.
    Very nice pile there- I'm envious.
  11. robberst

Oddometer:
    Thank you for that. The 1953 Meteor Combination (Sidecar) is VERY cool. That's giving me an idea........
    Old Mule likes this.
  12. Old Mule

Old Mule Long timer

Oddometer:
    Overland Missouri, home of 1950s sidecar tech.
    Now yer hooked.
  13. robberst

Oddometer:
    Over the last month or so I got some stainless steel from Columbia River Mandrel Bending and put together some head pipes adapted to some Sportster mufflers.
    Still need to add exhaust hangars and such. The sportster mufflers have fitting for a cross over tube. I need to make a cross over or plug the fittings.

IMG_0222.JPG
  14. flemsmith

flemsmith lurk

Oddometer:
    Just saw this thread...It's exactly the sort of long term build that makes most of us want to tune in for no matter how long it takes. Excellent work and make-do's when you don't actually have all the right oem parts. Thx roy
    chris a likes this.
  15. Twotaildog

Twotaildog Old Poop

Oddometer:
    Nice job on the exhaust.

Kevin
  16. robberst

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kevin, that means a lot coming from you. I've been watching your project for years. Marveling at the mechanical talent and then the tenacity to complete your route. It's my dream to do that, the reality is I'll be lucky to actually take this thing for a ride. I'm hoping to come down and see you guys pass through this summer either in Spirit Lake or Pierre.

Thanks for the comment.
    I like to think I do excellent work when I'm on the job working an aircraft. At home.......I have a much different attitude. Make-do. :-)
  17. Cat Daddy

Cat Daddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Slow and steady wins the race. I hope you continue to update this thread with your progress.
  18. robberst

Oddometer:
    Every once in a while I look back on this narrative to remind myself what I started this project with. A lot has happened in the past few years, but really not much on the Trailblazer.
    It gets shuffled around the shop. Moved on and off the table. Sat on to make motorcycle noises. But no real progress toward making it a running rideable motorcycle. I love this bike but it's very low on the priority list of things to do.

I have a few excuses...
    Three boys that are 17-22 and each has a project car we are working on together.
    The youngest a 1972 Volkswagen fastback. We welded in floor pans and rebuilt the engine, twice. The second time it broke a valve and broke the magnesium engine cases. In my "make do" fashion, I welded the cases back together and it's been running for 10,000 miles now

A 1976 Mustang II Mach I. Also welded in floor pans and repaired the subframe. We have just completed a year long engine swap with a drivetrain out of a newer mustang. That was way more work than I had imagined......

and my oldest son has a 1978 Jaguar XJS. Working on replacing floor pans now.

Here is my only progress for the year.

image1-3.jpeg

We cleaned and reassembled all the spare engine parts. My youngest son had this idea, I think from watching "Top Gear" or something. He welded together a frame from square tube for it to sit on. Welded some old Lycoming aircraft engine pushrods together for braces for the wood top and voila......a new end table for the living room
  19. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    Funny you bumped this.
    Local to me this has been on Craigslist for awhile. I think the original price was $1200, now down to $800.
    [​IMG]
    I keep looking at it and thinking "Well, if I could find X, Y and Z it wouldn't be that bad to put back together". Except all you get is what is in the picture. No tank. No seat. No mudguards. In other words all the hard to find stuff. Reality is that thing is a parts bike.
    Right?
    Please tell me it is.
  20. robberst

Oddometer:
    I can't promote my sort of doctrine.....:lol3
    But I'm reading Royal Enfield: The Complete Story again and I'm such a sucker...
    If that were anywhere near me for $800 it would already be in my shed.