VFR Thread, How many of us have 'em?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chad_NC, Feb 5, 2009.

1. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    95 viffer here. in custom color. red.
  2. kdstang

kdstang Child of the Corn

Oddometer:
    I'm considering moving into an 07 tri-color this year. A local dealer is asking $7700 for a brand new, out of the crate non-ABS, deal or no deal? Are used ones a better bargain?
  3. fleshpiston

fleshpiston Think bicycles, ya perv

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I'll never sell it :clap
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  4. Chad_NC

Chad_NC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I paid more than that for mine with 451 miles on it, but not much more than that. I would say buy it, you would love it.

Great pics of the bikes guys, keep em comin. I will get a better pic of mine up soon.
  5. Chad_NC

Chad_NC Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  6. jefmad

jefmad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Red '99 here. Bought it this summer and though I over paid a little, I like the bike so much I don't even mind.
  7. Chad_NC

Chad_NC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with the overpaid a little part, but like you said, I dont mind because I like the bike enough it makes up for it.
  8. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Deal, no question.
  9. wfobusa

wfobusa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New 07's are 7999 in my area.. I've always wanted a v-4 and it's one of the few bikes I haven't yet owned..This just isnt a great time to pull out savings ..I may however give in to the deal :deal ... I like the idea thats this model is in the final stages of it's developement and is sooo refined..Could be that any decade now the new version will be announced and it'll be hard to resist as well, even though it may have gremlins..
    Daytona is on my list next month..The Interceptor would be a classy way to arrive .. :D
  10. CBR-ELEVENTY-TEN

CBR-ELEVENTY-TEN Tastes Like Chicken!

Oddometer:
    Down...lower....lower..... Yeeaaagggghhhhhhhh!!!
    with a few bits added:

[​IMG]

Paint is Pearlescent White a la the 2006 VTEC model available in the us. It looks fantastic on a sunny day with the pearlescent flecks catching the sun.

Micron pipe sounds fantastic.

Helibars and Laminar Lip are essential for any long distance riding. I can sit bolt upright at high speed for hours with no windblast or buffeting.

[​IMG]
    TonyKZ1 and StayinAlive like this.
  11. Chad_NC

Chad_NC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great looking bikes fellows. At least now I know that I am not the only one with a VFR on this forum. The more the better!!
  12. RideOn2

RideOn2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey VFR Guy's,

Need some advice, I got back into MC's about three years ago. Started doing the 'dirt' thing with my son when he was 13. He's 16 now and has his Virginia LP, Car and MC. My plated bikes are a BMW K75 and DRZ400S. Jamie and I have been going out doing rural road rides since last spring. My son has a great feel for riding, so I'm starting to think about a street bike for him. He's had a go on the K75 and handle's it very nicely.

The K75 is a 1994, rides and runs like new.

I've read that the VFR 750's from the mid 90's have gear driven cam's and are easier to maintain.

I did alot of research on the K75 and learned that the K75 motor with proper maintenence is a 200K engine.

What kind of miles is a well maintaned VFR 750 capable of?

Most important! Is it too much bike for a teenager with very strict supervision.

My plan would be to do some 1 or 2 day trips together and then ease into some regional touring.

Thanks,
    RO2
  13. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    K75 should serve your purpose nicely, VFR750 or 98-01 VFR800 have gear driven cams, they are both reliable and capable, but it might be a bit much for a teenager to insure. Are you trying to decide a bike for your teenager between the K75 or VFR750?
    There are other less expensive choices that are just as capable for your purpose with even less intensive maintenance schedule: SV650, Nighthawks, etc..
  14. RideOn2

RideOn2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cat, essentially I view all our bikes as pool bikes. They are my bikes and are insured for my use. Depending on whether it's a dirt day or two lane we decide who uses what and then we switch back and forth.

A 50k mile K75 is just broken in... Where does a VFR fit in terms of say buying one with 20K-30K on it. I realise it depends on the riding style and maintence profile of the previous owner. I've read about valve adjustment at 16K intervals, what about new pistons, rings etc.

Just trying to get a feel for what to look for in a VFR. which I happen to think is one beautuful bike.

RO2

I could see that I would spend alot of time riding the VFR and letting my son ride the K. That would really give his chian a good jerk. I'd let him ride it more as he gains seat time and I see that his brain actually works.
  15. staves

staves Weaponized

Oddometer:
    I'm sure others will chime in with first-hand experience, but I wouldn't worry about buying a VFR with 25K-35K miles on it. With proper maintenance, these Hondas will go and go and go. . .

www.vfrdiscussion.com is also a great resource. Good luck with your decision.

ST
  16. NCStephen

NCStephen Riding NC

Oddometer:
    Chad,
    Looks great. I hope it is such that I can see it in Greensboro. As nice as the Jeep is.. ... the bike is outstanding!
    S
  17. GS THONG

GS THONG Banned

Oddometer:
    I bought a 2000 vfr w 18k on it after a year of reading everything and concluded it is at least a 100k motor even with a hard life. Couriers in the UK routinely get over 200 thou and one did about 240, put another used motor in and was going strong at 440,000 an then he wadded it up in an accident. I plan to do a minimun of 120,000 0n mine and it is one of the few bikes with good enough build quality to be worth keeping that long.
    Hell, I still have the original battery. Other than tires, oil and gas the only maint needed (vale adjust done at 16k) was 37 bucks for some tapered roller bearing stearng head bearings (easy job) as that is the only thing that Honda should have done in the first place. Sublime handling comfort and easy on insurance. Read older UK mags, they reconize older bikes in tests and report how thier doing with miles on them and indepth owner imput. US mags are not for people who actually ride that much IMHO.

h
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  18. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike high, wide and handsome

Oddometer:
    Picture taken at the Road America Superbike races a few years back. I no longer own the '94, but still have the '86.

[​IMG]
  19. AWolff

AWolff AWolff Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got an '03 that is the best motorcycle I've ever ridden. It's so refined, so polished, and so all around good that I honestly can't be tempted to anything else for now. As I wrote in another thread, the bike is never, ever the limit.

To paraphrase myself: It's capable of going further than my bladder can hold out, faster than my license can stand, leaning deeper than my nerve will allow, and amazingly it's still good fun to go out to breakfast with the wife on the back on a sunny Saturday.

Best bike I've ever had.

-A
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  20. jfurf

jfurf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Question for the VFR cultists (because you people really are a cult. admit it :rofl)...

If you were in the market for a used VFR (and assuming they're the same price), would you go for a 5th generation (99-2000) VFR with low mileage or a slightly newer (say 2003-2004) 6th gen VFR with higher mileage?