Stelvio != dirt bike

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by James Adams, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Way ta go! :thumb
  2. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    I take the screen off the bike now when I'm planning an off-road adventure. The tall screen gets in my way when I'm standing on the pegs. I may cut down the damaged stock screen and make a flyscreen out of it just so it looks less funny.

Thanks Tony. I'll post some stuff up on the PAR thread tomorrow. :thumb
  3. kellymac530

kellymac530 motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Lets see, you were riding it in the dirt, crashed and recovered it, and continued riding it in the dirt.....I think that actually qualifies it AS a dirt bike...albeit a heavy one.

I dont care how heavy a bike is, I crash them all in the dirt at some point. A crash does not disqualify it as a dirt bike. If that is the case, every YZ, KX, CR, RM, KTM, and thumper I have owned was also NOT a dirt bike...and I have the X-rays to prove it. :D
  4. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It has been my experience that more damage occurs removing the bike from a situation like this than from the fall.

Case in point. I dumped my v-strom off a ~40 sheer rock face on Imogene pass (not one of my better moments). I was able to walk away essentially unscathed. When we winched my bike down the side of the mountain it incurred the majority of the damage but there really was not other way to safely extract it. I rode the bike 2,000 miles home but insurance declared it a total loss.

Sometimes you just can't get them out on their wheels. Mine was winched down on its side.
  5. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are still waiting for an answer...
  6. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf n00b

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"I'm really impressed with the sturdiness and durability of the bike"[/QUOTE]

Judging by the 3 pics above, I'm really impressed with the balance of the Stelvio - pretty much vertical and stable all the time! :wink:
  7. modeselector

modeselector Common as muck

Oddometer:
    The only thing I came up with is James A was sitting off to the side, dazed, confused and feeling lucky to be alive :knary while the boyz did the recovery and was just thankful for the help while calming his nerves. I would have had a heart attack right then' n' there with my bike being dragged like that. But hey...you ain't getting that pig out solo :deal
  8. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    The bike wasn't dragged anywhere. I never wrote that anywhere so I'm not sure where you're getting that from. All of the photos of the bike upside-down show the bike exactly where it had landed (after I took the bags off); the winch line off the front end was to stabilize it while we pivoted the back end around to solid ground.
  9. modeselector

modeselector Common as muck

Oddometer:
    Ok that's good to hear there was no dragging going on.
  10. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer: