New Caponord

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by dtysdalx2, Nov 10, 2012.

1. KTMmiker

KTMmiker Moto Junkie

Oddometer:
    They will probably slap the 19" wire wheel on there for the Rally Raid version, along with the flat Khakie paint. estimated price:.... $15,999.00 USD. Like umh..... Tiger Explorer.
  2. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    I think this bike may alter that statement a bit...... :wink:

[​IMG]

-SM
  3. KTMmiker

KTMmiker Moto Junkie

Oddometer:
    I like Capo's... alot. But I WANT that stinkin KTM!!! I just don't want to pay for it.
  4. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I like the styling of the Capo better, I'm pretty sure I'd like the price better also, but that remains to be seen. I'm glad to see KTM removing a bunch of plastic, maybe they'll pull off a few yards from the 990 Adventure. Amazing how all the companies are gravitating towards a similar design, notice how incredibly similar the seat designs are between all of them.

I just wish there were more Aprillia dealers around. I like many of their products, but have never owned one, partly because they are hard to find. Ya, I know there's a couple around if I dig hard enough...... but it's slim pickens

I know many are dissing the more street oriented "ADV" style bikes, but I think the ADV style is to motorcycles what SUVs were to the "car" market, and look how well they sold. Without comfortable standard style bikes to choose from (at least here in the States), ADV style bikes are your only choice if you don't want a crotch rocket or cruiser. For many it makes sense even if it's a off-road poser, how many 4x4 SUVs ever got dirty? Plus some of the worn out, beat up, and generally lousy excuse for roads these days almost require a bike like this just to navigate the "pavement". Personally I like the way Triumph has handled it with 2 versions, makes huge sense to me.
  5. Pampero

Pampero Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sensible point of view, hard to argue with. I think Aprilia's difficulty in forging a solid dealer network has been their
    Achilles heel in the USA, although that is not an issue where I live. This bike should do well (that is, it probably has the basic stuff to do well), but I still think it would appeal to me more (making a big presumption here) if it were a bit lighter. I happen to like the look myself. I wish them great success with it because overall I think they do a fine job engineering their products and I personally have no hesitation owning an Aprilia. I've had two and they have both been good bikes. I think this machine has nice clean lines as well.
  6. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just going on what a few other brands have done...
    ...would be nice although no one much in OZ has heard of Aprilia
    Same importer does Guzzi,I used to get a lot of sentemental looks
    and life stories from old guys when I owned a Guzzi CaliEV.
  7. Ergo

Ergo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to see a new one! :eek1

Can someone add 2014 aka 1200 to the thread Title? Thanks! Almost passed it on by. :deal

Thoroughly enjoyed my ETV1000 in many ways and miss it to this day. Saw 14 states on that thing.

Bring it! :evil
  8. Pampero

Pampero Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Guzzis do seem to attract an...ah....mature crowd. The ETV1000 seems to have quite a few enthusiastic owners in Oz from what I see on the forums, but my impression is that Piaggio has dealership issues in many places outside of Europe. And I leave Europe out only because I don't know how they do there and in Great Britain; impression is that they do a bit better closer to home.
  9. trentster

trentster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know of a US dealer to contact? Any idea when this will be in the states? Price?
    Thanks!
  10. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Ony 61 Capos were imported to Australia - and there's a handful of us you'd call 'enthusiastic'. This is much truer of owners in Europe - Greece had a gathering of about 25 bikes not so long ago, and regular UK weekends get upwards of 15 attendees.

AF1 Racing in Texas would be one, or Moto International in Seattle another. AF1 host an incredibly well-supported forum wherein you can find out almost anything about these bikes.
  11. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What he said.

AF1 is outstanding as are Seacoast Sportcycle in New Hampshire. I have a fleet of Apes and buy lots from both places.
  12. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    So this "new" bike is just a Dorsoduro with a bigger fairing and tank?
  13. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    And some new gadgets, I think.

Exactly what people have been complaining about when the DD came out.
    Now they've made it.. and now people want a 1200GS competitor.

:huh
  14. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess people were expecting a renewed Dorsoduro "ADV", or something, that was less of a tall Shiver, instead of a Caponord being just a farkled Dorsoduro.

IMHO it's kind of a let down, I would have expected it to be derived from the RSV4.
  15. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    That's strange..

I think most people expected it to be the much needed update of the
    outgoing Caponord, which needed some refinement, weight cuts etc.

There's probably more Caponord owners out there that'd like the bike
    to be a mix of KTM 990 ADV & BMW GS then people wanting it to be
    another Multistrada/Tiger 1050.
  16. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    A V4, high-revving dual-sport bike? I don't think that would suit anyone other than the Wannbes and cafe-society dual-sport riders!

Exactly - my wife would like her Capo to be 30% lighter and physically more nimble but still be as powerful, comfortable and competant as a tar-tourer, but offer slightly more off-road capability.
    Oh, and shaft-drive would be nice - she's had multiple Guzzis over many years and really doesn't understand why bicycle technology is still in use in the 21st century.
    Yes, she's ridden the Stelvio NTX and commented that it's not $18,000 better than what she already has, and doesn't address her issues of size, weight and bulk.
    If Guzzi did a DS version of the 750 Breva, she'd be first at the door.... She had a 650TT before the Capo, but it was old and gnarly after 25 years!
    I'd like my Caponord to be lighter and smaller too: the bike's not getting any bigger, so I must be getting older!
    In fact, if there was a 750 V-twin shaft-drive DS bike, I think we'd have TWO of them!
  17. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup,agreed...expect that'll be my next bike...but probably be hard to find in other than chain drive...
    Unless I DS mod something...
  18. ishmac

ishmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm I like it, nice and fresh looking! Anyone know its fuel tank size & brake horse power?
  19. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
    About 24 litres and 125-ish HP
    Biggest issue for me is fuel usage...
  20. vivo

vivo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Personally having owned a Capo and am waiting on a Stevio ordered, I think the problem with this bike is it's name. It is not a Caponord and seems more inline with the Shiver. In my opinion to have been a true adventure bike of a new design it needs it's own frame design. It clearly is an adapted model and that is it's downfall. I'm certain it will be a nice enough bike*but what is it offering that is very special? Why not buy the Ducati? Why not buy the Stelvio? Why not buy the 1050 Tiger? Why look for ownership problems on a bike that is just not so insanely tasty?

Naming it Caponord is a mistake. I see the new Caponord more like the new KTM Adventurer but now it's not going to be and so goes the idea of really great Caponord.

I like the look of this new bike, hope it sells for Piaggio.

Vivo