Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks JD, I would like to get to Austin sometime and hear some music, have bumped in to a lot of folks there and we have a music festival in July that is all Texas musicians. Thanks for the tip on smug mug posting. I did what I have always done and it didn't work, have they changed something? Will check out the how to post a pic thread. Always something new with techno. Hard to eat baclava with that burka, uh balaclava, on your face.

dfoyster.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/The-Way-South/i-D52sTqk/0/M/image-M.jpg[/img][/url]

Sheeeite. That didn't work either. I gotta get on the road. Will try more later.

Thanks
  2. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    ORIGINAL
    dfoyster.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/The-Way-South/i-D52sTqk/0/M/image-M.jpg[/img]

MODIFIED BY ADDING THE ORANGE PORTION
    https://www.[/COLOR]dfoyster.smugmug.com

If you learn how the string should look you can fix things.

[IMG]https://www.dfoyster.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/The-Way-South/i-D52sTqk/0/M/image-M.jpg
  3. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very sweet bike M'ito.
  4. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    A good decreasing radius corner on a mountain road with no guardrails is something that sticks in your mind with a clarity only matched by the pic of Schizz and his dessert offering.:eek1
  5. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    Thanks Schizz and Weazy. I have been posting fotos since december and suddenly a problem. WTF. I will get it sorted.
    David
  6. mark883

mark883 and the mysterians

Oddometer:

I heard Baldy got one of those super-secret DHS / FBI non-subpoena subpoenas regarding this photo.
  7. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    When someone does something thousands of times because their life and their family depend on it they develop a grace in their actions that is lovely to behold

[​IMG][/url]
    Lake Catemaco Fisherman

[​IMG]
    Lake Catemaco Fisherman II

This is working now just the way it has since December without modifying the string. Some temporary aberration I guess. Thanks for jumping in guys. Help is always valued and sometimes appreciated :evil
  8. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's called "Catemagico"!
    Odd things happen when you are living on Tuxtlas time. Rod Serling couldn't have said it better.
  9. mark883

Oddometer:
    Great pics RMO.

I'd like to get to that part of Mexico sometime.
  10. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    Great ride. No fotos. Was booking it. Hwy. 180 has some great twisty bits but with a fearsomely uneven surface in places. There was a a pizza delivery guy on some kind of Chinese 125 down in one of the potholes. The only thing that kept him from falling all the way back to China was that box on the back of the scoot. I slowed down enough that he could grab my crash bar and come flying out of there... good thing because there was a doble remolque loaded with more Chinese shit bearing down on us.

I again salute you iron butts who pound out 500 miles in a day. In this heat and humidity 300 miles was plenty for this old boy.

Don't wear shorts and sandals when you go out for dinner at night here. My legs have been devoured my no see'ems while I was writing this...

[​IMG]
  11. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    I am in Panama City and have a few questions???

How do you find the location where you can watch the ships pass through the canal? I have Panama Maps in my GPS, so an address would be great!

From where do the sail boats depart that carry the motos to Columbia? Not heading further south this trip, but will be in the future. :d

In following CA1 to its end at the Darien Straight, how is the availability of fuel and motels after leaving Panama? :huh

Thanks! :clap
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  12. miguelito

miguelito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess you're never really safe on a motorcycle. I stopped for a break in Jalpan today, and met three guys on their sport bikes and full racing leathers. They took off first. I finished my break, then left Restaurante Karina's wondering how fast and how far they had gone.

[​IMG]

Above Pinal de Amoles, I saw them with two other riders parked by the side of the road, helmets off. I gave them the *thumbs up* and they returned it, so I rode on, enjoying getting my chicken strips disappeared on the new bike. About 15 minutes later I heard the high pitched whine of their motors behind me, and waved them around. They were flying, and as much as the Oyster thinks I'm fast, these guys were tearing it up, using both lanes, and simulating a track day on one of the greatest motorcycling roads in Mexico. I soon lost sight of them, and about 5 minutes later, I came around a curve below the village of Camargo, to find two of them in the road, waving me to slow down.

I immediately saw why. One of the riders who had joined them when I passed them, apparently had a head-on with a car coming the other way. I am not sure if the error was hers or the driver of the car, but his car was a a standstill in his own lane. I think the rider was a girl, but never saw her with her helmet off. Her friends and some other by-standers were fishing her out of some brush about 15 feet below the roadbed. She had a leather jacket and full face helmet, but just jeans on her legs. I helped the other two drag her bike off the road, then we all gathered sand and dust to throw over the oil spill area. They got her into a car to drive her the 70 miles or so to a hospital in Queretaro.

It was a sobering moment, and I left after most of it was under control. I found myself riding with a heightened sense of caution and the tenuousness of being after that. Say some prayers for a fellow biker tonight inmates. I hope she will recover fully.

[​IMG]
    Her bike after we dragged it to the inside of the curve.

[​IMG]
    Her tank was over the guardrail on the outside of the curve.

Ride wrecklessly amigos.
  13. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Allahu Akbar!!
  14. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    October, Amigo.

October.

Still owe you a Oaxaca trip.
  15. mark883

Oddometer:
    So far my schedule is open!

(subject to change without notice.) :bluduh
  16. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Miguelito. Sad scene. Hope the rider is OK. "Using both lanes" will get you an ass chewing if I'm around. I ride pretty fast but dang. If ya can't stay in your own lane, slow the fuck down. "Maintain lane discipline." I preach it often.
  17. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Prayers for this rider.

Your photo of her broken bike is indeed sobering for all of us :pope
  18. airdale7

airdale7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I will be watching for your RR on this stretch Donnie. Hope you remember to charge your camera batteries.
    Looks like the pavement ends in Yaviza at a river. I'm scanning Panaramio but not finding a bridge except a very narrow foot bridge. Might have to take a (water) taxi across. I see pickup trucks and buses, there must be fuel somewhere.

GOOD Luck
  19. Jick Magger

Jick Magger Exile on Main Street

Oddometer:
    Okanagan Valley BC, Canada/Scottsdale, Arizona
    Sad scene Miguelito. Its all about arriving at your destination in one piece so we get to do it again. Hope she survives without any serious injuries.
  20. miguelito

miguelito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm on the same page as you on this one buddy. As JicK said: