New Desert/Enduro Gas Tank for the SE950R

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by PowerCell, Aug 23, 2012.

1. PowerCell

PowerCell Manufacture Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is said, it is done... we'll only be offering the QD Fuel Tap anodized in one color for now; natural aluminum!

I feel it's the best compromise, and I really don't want the headache of building and stocking several colors unless production volumes go up. :thumb

[​IMG]
  2. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    Works for me! Nice looking part, too! Do you think inline filters would be a good idea since these don't have screens?
  3. PowerCell

Oddometer:

As I mentioned previously, I think an in-line filter is manditory! Even if you're running a stock fuel-tap, you should still have a quality in-line filter.

4. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:

:doh How'd I miss that? :lol3
  5. Splisken

Splisken I'm not dead yet...

Oddometer:
    Looking great Ken! I'm still in for the black tank and (2) of the QDs. :D
  6. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Is the final price still $89.95 + shipping each?
  7. PowerCell

Oddometer:

Yep... and they are now ready to ship. They also now feature a satin finish as I had them stress relieved prior to type-II anodizing.

[​IMG]
  8. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Oh nice!

So... to install: pull the stock petcock and screen, install the QD fuel tap (this will work on Safari Tank?), attach the other 1/2 of the QD to the fuel line, add fuel filter, go ride?

When the QD fuel tap is apart... neither side lets fuel out, correct?
  9. PowerCell

Oddometer:
    That's pretty much it... but I am including instructions just in case some need a little assistance.

10. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    Any date for the tanks yet?

RIDE ON!
  11. Dan950ser

Dan950ser Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer:
    Curious as well was the final test sample a success?
  12. PowerCell

Oddometer:
    I want to start by saying thanks to all you guys for being so patient. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and this tank project has been like my child for the last 6 months. There have been so many small changes to the original design, and I wouldn't have attempted them without knowing everyone was OK with the necessary delays. I really wanted this thing to be the absolute best it could be, and we only get one shot at it. You guys have been awesome...

But I'm happy to say that the mold is finally done! The final design and fit has even impressed me! Right now I'm scheduling production time and trying to get a slot for next week. It will only take a couple of days to build all the tanks, then we can ship them out!

13. unaweep

unaweep Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer:

That's great news, Ken. Your desire for perfection is much appreciated. I very much prefer to have the right tank later than the wrong tank sooner.

Attached is a pic of the Clockwork tank I purchased for my 500 EXC. What a piece of shit. I will never buy anything made by them ever again. A gas tank is not something you want to just get close, but rather something you get right. :thumb

[​IMG]
  14. wiseblood

wiseblood This checks out Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Ken!

I have a 2007 KTM 950 SMR. I've been looking at the Safari tank, but it's pretty BIG. :bluduh I need more range than the stock 14 liters, but almost 8 gallons seems a bit much, and possibly will weigh so much filled that the sporty canyon carving of the SMR will be tainted.

One of the guys in the Supermoto Chronicles thread pointed me here! The size tank you're making seems just perfect.

I have questions:

1. Will it fit the 950 SMR?
    2. This is a street bike, so I will need a horn. Any suggestions?
    3. Do you have installation docs written yet?
    4. If I want to retain the locking gascap, is that possible?
    5. I have a Corbin seat. Will that work?
    6. What happens with the "spoiler" (fairing)? If the answer is "you don't need those any more", then no problem. (Your tank is shaped plenty nice!
    7. If I ordered a black one, what's the lead time for you look like? :D

Thanks!
  15. PowerCell

Oddometer:

1. Will it fit the 950 SMR?
    Yes!
    2. This is a street bike, so I will need a horn. Any suggestions?
    Shouldn't be hard to mount near the radiator
    3. Do you have installation docs written yet?
    Pending
    4. If I want to retain the locking gascap, is that possible?
    There are some that claim they have used the Aceribis locking cap on the IMS filler neck, but I do not know if it really fits. Your stock cap will no longer work.
    5. I have a Corbin seat. Will that work?
    Nope! You'll need an SM seat...
    6. What happens with the "spoiler" (fairing)? If the answer is "you don't need those any more", then no problem. (Your tank is shaped plenty nice!
    You don't need those any more...
    7. If I ordered a black one, what's the lead time for you look like? :D
    We are currently in production, with shipping starting next week. It's first come, first served (that's you Dzrtracin!)... so if you ordered today, your tank would go out in about 2 weeks.
  16. PowerCell

Oddometer:
    I spent the weekend testing the new tank. Everything works and fits perfectly.

One thing I can tell you that even surprised myself, was how much weight the tank removes from the front end! Feels 20lbs lighter!!! And the more centralized mass really helps the bike move through tight corners. The front end was so much lighter, that I had to back-off on my compression by 2 clicks! Awesome!

[​IMG]

Even my dog Max thought it was easier to float through the whoops! And as you can tell by his expression, he's very serious about handling... :D

[​IMG]
  17. PowerCell

Oddometer:
    Ok, here's something kinda special...

Now that we have enough fuel capacity to travel deep into Mexico, I've been looking for someone that can build me a seat capable of providing comfort on those long trips down south. The new SM pan has a great shape, and is a big upgrade from the stock SE seat, but we wanted even more!

Enter the guys at Seat Concepts: Posed with a challenge, not only did they build me a great looking seat, but one that has to be the most comfortable dirt bike seat I've ever experienced! Check out the pix below and see for yourself!

And to show their support for our tank project, they're offering to build this exact same seat to anyone that wants one, matched to your weight and riding style!

Now, I've become a pretty big fan of Seat Concepts, so I asked if they could do something special for my customers to thank them for being so supportive and patient.

Here's their reply:
    "Tell anyone that buys your new tank that we will offer a 15% discount plus free shipping on our new SM off-road kit!

Bundy"

So there you have it! Awesome seat and a great price!!! Give them a call directly to get yours. Tell them that you have the new PowerCell Super Enduro gas tank and want the matching off-road SM kit. 951-756-1030

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:

Just to clarify on the Corbin seat; If it's on a 950 SMR then it will have the same stock seat as the SE and won't fit the Powercell tank. The 950 SM seat does fit the PC tank.

I have an Acerbis locking gas cap. I'll try it when my tank arrives. :thumb
  19. PowerCell

Oddometer:

Missed the "R" part... thanks!

20. wiseblood

wiseblood This checks out Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Yardstick --

Can you clarify the above for me? Are you saying the PC tank won't fit the SMR at all? Or, are you saying it won't fit with the Corbin seat? :dunno