Comparison: Piaggio BV500 and Honda Silverwing

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by gumshoe4, Jul 27, 2012.

1. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    So anyone know if a piaggio bv500 with 28000 kms has another 30 K left it or just another year or 2? Still sound like Piaggio has parts issues
  2. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where I get my Scarabeo serviced they have a Scarabeo 500 (basically the same as the BV 500 just a bit different suspension and body style) which came in for its last service at 85,000 miles before the owner was leaving on a trip to visit his daughter (near Seattle from Houston.)

The BV 500 will have as many miles left in it as you want to maintain it.There maybe a temporary parts availability according to AF1 Racing because all orders are processed by Piaggio's NYC headquarters which is in one of the areas without power but the parts are in warehouses in other parts of the country so it shouldn't take too long for parts to get back to normal once power is restored.
  3. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know, Cortez. Only you are smart enough to have chosen the best bike in the world-all other bikes suck and we're all stupid because we didn't pick the machine you like. Message received. I'm returning you to ignore mode now.

Back to the subject at hand-I think it's fair to say that Piaggio's parts supply system is not very good. AF1 Racing, in Texas, seems to have a pretty good supply pipeline, as CD mentioned. A&S, my local dealer here, is not so good...they don't seem to have a complete stock of parts and usually have to order them and delivery seems to take 2-4 weeks. For all I know, they may be getting them from AF1. That said, however, they figured out the speedometer problem and fixed it.

Also, I rode the bike over the hill early this morning as the sun was coming up and it was glorious...very nice sweepers to bend the bike through in the cold air...a short ride, to be sure, but a nice one. And when I got back, the turn signal was STILL intact!! So, in transparency, I think the first two must have been my bad...but we'll keep watching and reporting.
  4. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    Stuff like this is why it never buy boutique brands. I'd love a motto guzzi but the cost and availability of parts has always kept me away. Hopefully you get your issues squared away without too much hassle. Sounds like you've had a run of bad luck with a bike you thoroughly enjoy.
    Salth2ofish likes this.
  5. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    luck and upkeep do have allot to do with how long it runs but it doesn't give an idea . it's like you can say your smart car might go 200 K but some only get 80 K before major cash out puts for turbos etc. One expert in England said they get worn around 60 000 miles. But back to my question there no real data is there out there because so few here ride far and long what i wondering. For small brand theres not the number of people to say one way or the other??? thinking of one for 2250 wit 28 000 K but might just go back to motorcycles . KlR 650. With the right paperwork it's same insurance as a helix 30 bucks a month.
  6. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Not because of the handling I'm sure.. :D
  7. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    while parts supply might be a problem, the engine if maintained properly is
    bullet proof, especially the 492cc version.

On the 460cc you gotta keep an eye on oil level as often as possible.
  8. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    :huh
  9. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Funny, I have had no more issues with parts on any of my Italian scoots than I did on the Suzuki Burgman we used to own. Service and parts availability have been about the same since the Suzuki dealership didn't stock any greater amount of parts than the Piaggio/Vespa or Aprilia dealerships. Even something like a light bulb for the Suzuki wasn't in stock and I had to pick it up from Cycle Gear. It took 3 days for an exhaust gasket to come in which is a pretty common failure on Burgman 400s. Seemed like whatever was needed was always "we seem to have just run out". Guess that makes Suzuki a "boutique" brand.
  10. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    Not really. Do a quick count as to how many suzuki dealerships there are in the country now do the same for you Italian brand.
  11. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Handling is a somewhat subjective matter. It is dependant on the rider as well as the bike.

For example, I have had the chance to ride two bikes that most consider very good handling bikes, the Yamaha R6 and Honda RC51. I wasn't impressed with either one. I thought the RC51 steered like a truck:huh Maybe the fact that I rode it right after riding my R1100GS had something to do with that impression since the GS had much lighter steering than most sport bikes. Had I been riding another sport bike, maybe my impression of the RC51 would have been different.

If a bunch of riders compared the Scarabeo 500 to the SW, I am sure that some would prefer the SW, and some the Scarabeo. In the end it comes down to personal preferences, how those riders ride, and what they were used to.

I once did a test ride on a Kawasaki EX500. I was NOT impressed. A couple of years later I rode another one. I loved it, bought it and put 66,000 miles on it. What was different between my first test ride and the second on? I have no idea.

Ever notice that when two magazines compare the same bikes, they often come up with different results?
  12. cdwise

Oddometer:
    I've always found one when I needed one [shrug] besides when I'm in Colorado the same person works on my BVs as worked on my Suzuki. He does a much better job than the nearest Suzuki dealership (which happens to be about the same distance away as the nearest Piaggio dealership.)

I can get parts from AF1, ScooterWest as well as my Houston and Denver dealerships shipped to me so a dealership isn't as important as a good mechanic regardless of bike brands.
  13. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Sounds like you've had a run of bad luck with a bike you thoroughly enjoy."

That's exactly it in a nutshell...well said.

"Scooters in his country are used for daily transportation and are much more prevalent than they are here. he worked in a scooter shop and did scooter tests for a publication. So I give his opinion a little creedence. Just my humble opinion."

Point noted and expertise acknowledged. Doesn't make anyone else's opinion less valid than his and his experience does not, in itself, cause me to ascribe greater value to his opinion than, for example, cdwise's or anyone else who has posted thoughtful stuff herein. It also does not excuse his confrontational style in what is otherwise a congenial exchange of information.

Just for the record, and to restate it for Cortez' benefit yet again, AND for yours, I have never said that the SWing or the BV were perfect or handled the best or were the most reliable. What I have said, over and over, is that the SWing is a packmule which makes a good touring platform and the BV is a lightweight local bike which, IMHO, handles much better than the SWing, but which is plagued with little design and quality defiiciencies. I own both machines and ride them both regularly, so for that reason, I feel I am qualified to pass along my observations to interested parties. I try to be transparent when I do so, up to and including reportage on myself when I screw up...not trying to hide anything about either bike or about my many shortcomings as a rider and maintainer of motorbikes. I claim NO expertise and you all are free to draw whatever conclusions you wish about what I'm reporting, Cortez included.

Anyway, enough said on all that stuff. May we simply proceed in a congenial, non-confrontational way with the goal of helping each other? Thanks...
  14. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    I've ridden probably upwards of 10 piaggio master 460 and 492 equipped
    scooters, more then a few Beverly's 460, one 400 (better), half-sister
    owns a Beverly Cruiser 500 (492cc), ridden the Beo 500, Nexus 500
    (amazing handling), Peugeot Geopolis 400 (better then BV 400/500 IMHO),
    and Satelis 500 (also Piaggio Master engine).

All in all.. the BV500 (1st version with the 460 engine and no tach) is the
    worst of the lot re: handling, but has amazing ride quality/smoothness.

Pics of some of the bikes mention can be found on my picassa and flickr
    accounts.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dbauernf

But what the hell do I know?!
    :deal
  15. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    How is the leg room different between the two models. I always find the Silverwing a little cramped.
  16. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking for tires for the SWing...I think the Bridgestones are getting tired and I don't like them much anyway.

Having done a little research, it looks like there are several good choices, which include the Pirelli Diablos, the Metzler Feelfrees and the Michelin PowerPures.

The Michelin tires are dual compound, which helps wear, but theoretically retains decent cornering...hard compound in the center tread and softer on the sides...that said, I've seen reviews that rate them OK...but I'm trying to do a bit better than that...the current Bridgestones are only OK or OK-, IMO.

The Pirellis get good ratings, the Metzlers also...Pirellis slightly better.

Anyone have any comments regarding these three choices or others I haven't considered?
  17. cdwise

Oddometer:
    I had Pirellis on the 2007 Scarabeo which handled very well but I don't know how long they would have lasted. I've kicked myself for not having them transferred over when I traded it in for the 2009 (NOS last year). They are far superior to the ones that came on the 2009.

I've got Michelin City Grips on it and the GTS right now. They are pretty good but not as good at cornering as the Pirellis. From everything I've heard the Power Pures are probably what I'll get next time I replace tires.
  18. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    I got Power Pures on my scoot - got more grip then Dunlop Roadsmarts I had
    on my Kawasaki. I heard a rumor that they made a new version of them
    (the power pures), something to do with different with central grooves on the
    tires that make the bike "catch" imperfection on the road and steer you
    around a bit.

I've noticed my scoot does that, but it's not a big issue.

The grip is amazing, and there's no noticeable wear yet after about
    4k miles (13" rear, 14" front, 30hp scoot, 400lbs dry).

They need a bit of warm up though before they work - I didn't expect
    to be able to powerslide with them, but around town, on poor pavement
    (and thanks in part to the performance CVT), I still can.

Tmax riders here are the most aggressive usually and they tend to prefer
    GPR100 tires, and on smaller scoots the most aggressive riders mostly
    use Diablo scooter tries.

I always liked Michelin tires on scoots (City Grips are fine too) so I'm stickin
    with these.
  19. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good info, guys, thank you...I think I might try the Michelin PowerPures...price is good, also...

The grip issue is my primary problem with the Bridgestones...they're a hard compound, so they wear well, but just don't corner great...

I'll probably get the Michelins put on in the next few weeks and I'll let you know how all that works out...

Thanks for the info!
  20. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer: