Scooter Cargo Trailers!

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by tburick, Apr 16, 2013.

1. tburick

tburick BLESSED

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to share some of the scooter cargo trailers I've designed and built over the past few years.
    I currently own a Vespa PX150, Honda Ruckus, and Honda Metropolitan. I've built cargo trailers for all three bikes.

Last summer I rode my 49cc Ruckus 7,330 miles on a solo charity ride. I went from Pittsburgh, PA to Matamoros Mexico...then from Mexico to Santa Barbara, CA. The journey took about three months. I had the Ruckus trailer on my journey...and it worked out great. My goal was to ride 10,000 miles but I got hit by an RV in California and my arm was broken. I fought with the ER doctors to put my arm in a cast in a position that would allow me to continue the journey but they refused...lol...imagine that...

Enjoy the pics and feel free to ask any questions.

Tom
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. MaineScoot

MaineScoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! Very nice. Would you share details on your hitch system?
  3. Too Many Toys

Too Many Toys Adventure Poseur

Oddometer:
    Just off the Lincoln hiway in Ioway & Mesa, AZ
    WOW, amazing work. And to ride a 50cc scooter 7,300 miles, now that's an Iron Butt Rider!
  4. tburick

tburick BLESSED

Oddometer:
    Each one had a completely different hitch system...so it's kind of hard to describe...the hitches are always the hardest part...lol...

The Ruckus hitch was the most elaborate and difficult...my friend who is a professional industrial designer did the hitch design.
  5. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Oh, well now, those are just too cool! As an adventure guy, I really like the Ruckus rig.

Outta Pittsburgh? Really? Where's the Steelers trailer? :lol3
  6. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:

That seriously rocks :thumb :thumb :thumb

Outstanding workmanship with a good eye for aesthetics :thumb

Color me impressed.

7. zipper421

zipper421 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    those are awesome
    and your mission is cool to
  8. choccoloco

choccoloco Cabin Fever....

Oddometer:
    Wow very nice.

Great work.
  9. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those trailers are excellent !!
  10. Montague

Montague UDF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    an alternate universe, much better than yours
    Those are great kit! Do you fabricate and sell or sell plans?

I have a Rokon 2X2 and have considered the single wheel trailer they sell, but it is not road legal.

Your designs would be much more functional both on and off road.

Do you mind if I post a link to these pictures on the Rokon forums?
  11. Melrone

Melrone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now this is to cool. Those trailers are really nice.My hat off to you.I know the Ruckus scooter has one hell of a following,but to do what you are doing is great.Ever hit Wisconsin.You have a place to crash..Now thats ADV Riding...:clap
  12. Tarka

Tarka Strangely strange. Oddly normal.

Oddometer:
    They`re all absolutely brilliant...thank you for showing us.

They not only appear to be well built,but they also are aesthetically pleasing too.

Might be worth posting your pics in 'Battle Scooters' too,so the scooter fans who might not enter here can see them too.
  13. boxertwin

boxertwin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful work. Really. Most folks are afraid to post around here if it doesn't have a training wheel. Thanks for putting it here so we could see it.
  14. tburick

tburick BLESSED

Oddometer:
    Montague,
    I don't mind if you post the pics in other forums. Please feel free.

I've thought about starting a business designing and building scooter (and small displacement motorcycle) cargo trailers. I don't know if there's enough interest out there to keep such a company sustainable...because if I'd do it, it would be a full time venture...I have no interest in pursuing it part time. I'm an all-or-nothing kind of guy :D

I think the bigger issue might be cost. In the age of made-in-China junk, where everything is cheap, cheap, cheap...my trailers might not be viable because of the cost. That's my biggest concern.

In my mind, my trailers are rolling art...I spend a huge amount of time on the aesthetics...(make no mistake, they are equally functional)...but the aesthetics are paramount to me. There's a ton of time an materials that go into each one.

Even if I designed a few standard models and "mass produced" them in small quantities, they'd still be $900 - $1,000...and I wouldn't be buying a Mercedes with the profits...

I recently designed a cost-reduced, open frame scooter cargo trailer that looks cool and could sell for $600 - $700. Not quite as "WOW" as the other ones, but a pretty damn cool trailer in it's own right.

Because my trailers are all one-offs, I've probably got $1,200 - $1,300 tied up in each one in time / materials. As a scooter enthusiast, I have no problem dropping a grand+ on a trailer. I've got myself convinced that I'm the only guy out there that would do that. Anyone care to prove me wrong?...lol...

Would any of you drop a grand on a beautiful, functional trailer for your scoot or small displacement motorcycle? If not, what is your price threshold? I am just looking for ANY reason to start a scooter cargo trailer company...lol...
  15. SammyTheSlider

SammyTheSlider You have insufficient privileges to reply here

Oddometer:
    Love the Alice pack frame/luggage rack....lol.
  16. boxertwin

boxertwin Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's kind of a ridonkulous (as my boys would say) question to ask of this crowd. People that spend $1200 for aluminum tool boxes for their GS's; a system that weighs nearly 50 pounds just so they can carry 15 pounds of underwear and coffee inside. People that spend thousands of dollars on fluff and farkles in gps's, electric roll charts, ram mounts, communication gear, riding gear, etc.
    So for this crowd a grand is not a problem. But the question I would ask is this; is $1,000 too much for people who tour on scooters. I don't know the answer to that. How many people tour long distance on scooters?
    Seems a great opportunity to make and sell an in-town cargo scooter for the Costco runs.
  17. idealistix

idealistix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is really cool. How much would the hitches cost? If you do go into business, remember to form an LLC to protect your personal assets.
  18. Montague

Montague UDF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    an alternate universe, much better than yours
    The factory Rokon trailer is $1000 and is off road only, so yes, some people (myself included) would buy. But you are correct that low volume, custom work isn't going to generate millions in profit.

But as a hobby business, it might work.
  19. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    yes it would......

i do kind of the same thing, though not trailers, or any item specifically. im a mechanic by trade (for now, its taking its toll on my body) but sometimes i get commissioned to build something, a go kart trailer, luggage rack system/panniers, a bicycle sidecar. it doesnt pay the bills, but it gives me something to do while im making it, and puts some money in my pocket for other equipment/tools etc.

so put it out there, offer your services, and see what happens. the work looks good, and i think people would be into it.
  20. tburick

tburick BLESSED

Oddometer:
    All good points guys!

Not sure how much the hitches would cost...maybe around $75 - $125 depending on the bike. For example, the metropolitan and Vespa hitches were relatively simple. The Honda Ruckus hitch was very elaborate and complicated...so I guess it would depend on the bike.

Tom