Horsepower & Weight - What's your bike like and is it enough?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ParrotheadJeff, Apr 29, 2012.

1. SmithSwede

SmithSwede Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Currently have 2 bikes.
    BMW F800S: probably 450 pounds and 80 horse. Plenty of power for me under any circumstances.

Ninja 250: probably about 375 pounds; 27 horse. Bike is an absolute hoot to ride. I commute about 100 miles per day, mostly interstate. Have to be willing to rev the crap out of it for power. Light weight and handling makes it fun.

Cruises 80 to 85 mph just fine. Only thing I miss is ability to immediately pass logging trucks and such on two lane roads. But everywhere else, it is immense fun to be able to ride a little bike really "hard" without getting into insane speeds.
  2. The Evil Twin

The Evil Twin Boxer Freak

Oddometer:
    As others have said, it depends on what you expect (IMO). I currently have a couple bikes. The R100rs probably puts out 30-40 at the wheel and weighs about 500 lbs. The ZX10 puts down a staggering 167 to the rear wheel and weighs in at 382 pounds with a half tank of fuel. The GS/A is heavy as hell and might put 80 to the rear? The ZX6 is 362 lbs and 114 hp. Each one puts a smile on my face!
  3. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    My Ducati S4 weighs about 400 lbs, and has an honest 95hp and 67lb ft of torque. It's a blast to ride. There are mods to bring it up to about 112 hp or so, but I like how reliable it is right now, and I'm not going to mess with it.
  4. The Evil Twin

The Evil Twin Boxer Freak

Oddometer:
    Yessir! One thing I have learned is not to crack that motor open if you don't have to!! :lol3
  5. jrs200

jrs200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Through the big mud hole to the big rock hill SC
    Well my 2005 DR650 is like riding a moped after getting off My 2002 KX500 @ 67hp only weighing in at 220 pounds it is a TRUE beast. And at my age tooooo much power. But so much fun to be in too tall a gear and wheelie at will. I really need to sell that bike.
  6. stefer

stefer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KLR 650... its power doesn't bother me, but but if I have to lug around a 400 lb bike, it would be nice to get better performance.
  7. the_sandman_454

the_sandman_454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KLR650. It does ok. I'm definitely going to own a "go fast" bike in addition to the KLR one day, but for now, it does ok for commuting, road trips, and mild off road stuff.

I had an 2008 SV650N for about 1000 miles til a deer jumped out of the woods at the perfect time so that there was no time left to react to either brake or go WFO on throttle. Dang deer didn't even have the decency to stick around and die so I could have a taxadermist preserve it as a conversation piece. Public service announcement: a motorcycle is not a good thing to hit a deer with.

I would have gotten another SV, but wanted to give some (not crazy) off road riding a chance as well. KLR seemed a decent compromise between street and other.
  8. Digasi

Digasi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SV650SFA - Yes it has more then enough power for me. Even two up on the freeway up a steep hill, I have never felt the need for more. Every time I have need more power, this bike has given it to me and showed no signs that it was running out any time soon :)
  9. 243Win

243Win Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SV650n, only once did I ever think a little more would be nice. I15, in Idaho. Speed limit is 75, everyone is doing 90. I'm doing an indicated 100 and it seemed at that point, acceleration seemed a little down. That one time I got to thinking something larger might be nice.
  10. LoneTraveler

LoneTraveler Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer:
    The only time I've ever thought, "Hey, that fucker is accelerating faster than me!" is when some squid came up next to me on an R1 and then proceeded to take off. The 12 year old running laps inside my head said "Hey fucker, CATCH HIM!" and the responsible, 28 year old software engineer that controls the 12 year old LoneTraveler said "You ninny, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT."

That was a split second, of course. :D
  11. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    108bhp at 9,200rpm and 97Nm (72lb.ft) at 6,200rpm,

[​IMG]
  12. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    Last time on the Dyno, my ZX11 gave us 181 RWHP.
    Fun, but about as useful as having a 20" cock!
    Anybody want to buy it?
    The bike that is. If someone out there is desirous of a 20" schlanger, you'll need to contact someone other than me.:lol3

Chris
  13. hscrugby

hscrugby "That guy"

Oddometer:
    I'm the same way. Cept I have a modded cbr954rr. Nothing is worse than realizing you just have NOTHING for someone on a straight away. Granted there are no trophies for a track day, but well, damn it. I'm competitive. I don't like having to pass the same guy on the second or third turn after every straight section cause he has that shiny new s1000rr. :( Seriously, that bike just f'ing goes. pisses me off. Somewhere around 160ish with my fat self on my bike against that thing, it's like a fat guy on a scooter. I want to help push my bike. :(

Or were we talking on the street? :lol3
    (See the same issue, but ermm, I'd never exceed a posted speed limit)
  14. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    And you have to remember guys, those numbers the factories advertise are Fantasy Island. If they say 125HP, figure around 100HP.
  15. the Pheasant

the Pheasant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice. My last bike was a 955i Sprint RS; 118hp, similar torque and a torque curve that was more of a pancake from 3,000 rpm. Don't think I ever managed to pin the throttle
  16. the Pheasant

the Pheasant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Honda CBF1000? Reworked '06 Fireblade motor with 61lb/ft at 3,000 rpm, 72lb/ft at 6,500rpm...
  17. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    Ducati Streetfighter 1098. 155 hp at the crank, around 140 to the ground, flat torque curve from 4K to redline of around 80 ft-lbs. Weighs about 400 lbs now after some weight reduction mods. That figures to 2.8 lbs/hp.

After an ECU reflash and a gearing change, it's able to deal with normal suburban traffic, but it really prefers open roads. Power is more than enough for anything I want to do, and without having to scream it like a triple or an I-4.
  18. Aussijussi

Aussijussi Long timer

Oddometer:
    990 adv, 90 something hp, weigh's just on 200 kg, i am thinking of getting the 690, less power but lot lighter, more fun i reckon!
  19. SteelJM1

SteelJM1 Former Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer:
    DR650: enough power to get me into trouble, I don't wish for more despite its weight because too much power would mean too much fast on too heavy a bike on too hard a trail.

SV1000C: "HOLY SHIT!" is what I say whenever I hop on it after not riding/ riding the DR for a while. Doesn't need more fast. Don't need more Pima County and City of Tucson performance awards either :D
  20. Toto

Toto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a 2009 new old stock CBF1000A a year ago.
    They took an RR motor (04 I think) and knocked about 70 some odd hp off it.
    You would think it would be a dog....far from it...lovely torque everywhere.
    Really no need to rev over 6500 ...just short shift and ride a big wave of torque.
    If you want it to really go shift her at 8500...drops off after that to redline.
    A real sleeper...and as easy as a bicycle to ride.