Interesting new Honda

Discussion in 'Canada' started by JimmieA, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

As is the case with most Canadian reps/importers, Yamaha Canada [now closed down] incorrectly priced the Tenere, which we all know is MSRP priced $3000 less across the border.
  2. pelvis_98

pelvis_98 Havin A Time

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or maybe $1709

3. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

yeah, you're right.

That's enough to get my attention.
  4. pelvis_98

pelvis_98 Havin A Time

Oddometer:
    Lets just hope fo rthe continued price drop.

5. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't get me wrong, it looks like an awesome bike. I'd have one right now if it weren't for unforeseen financial obligations. I had all intentions of buying earlier this year.

With that said, there was an ad in the Trader all season long for this "rare" bike. The Ontario dealer described it as being rare and having only one in stock, priced at MSRP. It remained in stock for more than 4 months... they may still have it, but I stopped looking.

Even with the price imbalance between the US and Canada, it's still a strong competitor to the BMW R1200GS and priced thousands less in similar configuration. I cannot explain why the bike didn't sell well here, other than to say there's no market for it. I doubt Honda could do anything differently and have more success.
  6. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to meet ya, Steve.

:norton
  7. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doh, I missed that comment... yeah, I care about fuel economy too. How can you not with the increasing price of gas?
  8. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

Airhead GS's are not really known for fuel economy are they?
  9. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not if you leave them stock, they're not. With a few mods a GSPD's stock range of 550kms can be extended to 700kms. But that's niether here nor there. The Oilhead GS1150 used fuel like mad. One of the reasons I despised that bike.

Fuel efficiency of the H-D motored Buells is pretty impressive, and one of the reasons I like them.

There's no reason why more modern motorcycles couldn't be more fuel efficient. BMW's taken the issue seriously with the mapping\fuel delivery of their 800 series parallel twins. Peppy 85hp machines that deliver excellent fuel economy. Looks like Honda's beginning to take notice, too.

There's lots of variables involved and it's a complicated subject, but you're probably correct: Historically, most people don't really care about fuel efficiency when buying a large displacement motorcycle.

I'm thinking that might change in the future.

:dunno
  10. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, if you stay under half-throtttle and 95 km/h :deal
  11. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:
    How did it turn out? Badly is the only way to describe it. $16,500 plus PDI and freight is not going to sell many. Canadians are smarter than that. A Tenere can be had for $11,500 to $12,000 in the states. Why does Yamaha think Canadians are stupid? They should have learned from the mistake that Honda Canada made when it tried to sell the Varadero here. Too much money and too much weight!

The Tenere is a price piont bike just like a V-Strom. It has to be priced much lower to sell. The poor sales here prove the bike is not worth anywhere near $16,500. It's very likely the one you saw on the road was imported from the US.
  12. WHALENTJ

WHALENTJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    15,no pdi or frt. and 20% off all acc.
  13. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:
    That is a good start but still about $3000 higher than a buyer in the US pays and we have a par dollar.

Not low enough if they really want to move a few off the sales floor.
  14. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    :scratch what?

I saw one at the local honda dealer ... glanced briefly but from that it's plain it's no 'adventure' machine.
  15. FINNDIAN

FINNDIAN Mine goes to 11

Oddometer:
    I got to try the nc700 at the HU meeting in Barrie. I thought it was a great bike for what it is intended. An entry level easy to handle bike that most likely won't give you any problems.
    It handled well on the street and had half decent suspension for the rough dirt roads.
    It's no high end adventure bike but it's not a Rukus either.
  16. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Honda has suprised me with several new bikes in its lineup this year, although the CRF250L is the only one I would be interested in. I think if the 700X was fitted with the same wheel sizes as a Vstrom if would be a better seller for them.
  17. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Did Honda Canada bring it to the HU meeting to show it off or was it a personal ride?

To me it's a light sport tourer with a sensible riding position, nothing more. what gives it cred for anything else?
  18. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why is anybody expecting more from an entry level bike?
  19. H e a d N o r t h

H e a d N o r t h (take the high road)

Oddometer:

Agreed... a reliable, light sport tourer with a sensible riding position... those are credentials, in my book.
    For someone a hundred pounds lighter and 6" shorter than me, I figure it would make a great all around bike.

20. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm watching these models with interest. It'll be a while before I'll ever be able to afford a "true" adventure bike again and my journeys are nothing more than day trips mostly on back roads. I think either the 500 or 700 would be perfectly fine for my needs and the prices are reasonable.