Yet Another GS Adventure Touring Sidecar (Totally Hacked!)

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by mikepa, Apr 2, 2008.

1. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist

Oddometer:
    Poulsbo, WA in the Great Pacific NorthWET (USA)
    Since I've only recently taken delivery, don't have all that many miles on the rig yet. Certainly, something needs to be worked out with the shocks. The tug (which I purchased used) had only 10K miles on it. After the first few test runs, the rear shock seemed alarmingly soft. I swapped it out for a newer one (also a BMW OEM Adventure shock, with only about 500 miles in it), and the results were the same, almost three inches of sag when I sat on the rig (hey, I'm not that friggin fat), and a lot of roll in corners. May need to lighten up the Progressive shock that Dauntless installed on the tub, it seems to be so stiff that the bike "hobby-horses" around the 3rd wheel.

Rear shocks on the oilhead and hexhead GSes seem to be a problem in general, I've had problems with Ohlins, and have seen too many of them fail (catastrophically) on client bikes on tour, to go that route.

One thing that really pleases me about the R1150GS Adventure is, the lowered 1st and 6th gears make for a much better gear ratio set than the standard R1200GS. Our property has a LONG driveway, most of it at an 18% to 20% grade, and I had to slip the clutch through turns with the R1200GS, but the R1150GS Adventure pulls through just fine.

However, the attraction of lowering the overall ratios with an R850R final drive, as you suggest, is compelling. Will know better once I've spent some time off-pavement.

The only "mod" that I'm considering to date it loosing the tub's brake system. I've found the easiest way to push-back when setting out is to sit on the bike and use my right leg for "reverse", but with dual brake pedals and rigging in the way, I can't really find space to get "foot-down" through all the hardware. And, having learned to ride without a brake on the tub, I find it overly powerful, and I still wind up actuating it unintentionally.

Regards,
  2. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist

Oddometer:
    No tilt. I "see" the attraction. Just couldn't be convinced that it was stone-cold reliable (even though I understand it can be manually cranked should the drive motor fail).

Would like to hear about "mostly trouble free" <g>.

Best,
  3. KiltBoy

KiltBoy Mahout

Oddometer:
    This is a fascinating thread. I always learn sooo much. I'm charging off to Google now to find out what 'TILT' is...
  4. KiltBoy

KiltBoy Mahout

Oddometer:
    Ha ha!!

(Tracking Increment Leanout Technology)

Now to figure out what that means...
  5. gregbenner

gregbenner Long timer

Oddometer:

Jay added TILT on my V Strom/Ural rig, i also have it my Hannigan. Have not had issues with either.

FWIW, for me, it is a benefit mostly on long "slab" rides, where there may be many miles of road with a constant crown. Consequently, I use it much more on the Wing than the Strom.

Mike, could I take the Strom on one of the GlobeRider tours?
  6. MZcountryboy

MZcountryboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mostly. :D

No bike problems, aside from some fuel disconnect issues. The mounting structure for the TILT mechanism failed. You may be wise to be wary of it.

I have the ability to repair it, so it's not so bad, but I'm redesigning the support for the pivot pin.

That, and a couple of wheel bearings that went south. Still need to sort that out, the shaft on my GS wheel hub conversion seems to be .003-.004" small, so my inner bearing race likes to spin on the shaft, making it worse.

That's it.

The stock shocks on the GSA are too soft. I rode it that way all last year, including a trip to Newfoundland. I've got a set of 3 wilbers I'm mounting up this season.

I really enjoy my rig, and 80+ mph is no problem. Nice + smooth.
  7. NomadRip

NomadRip Always a n00b

Oddometer:
    That is just beautiful :clap
  8. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy Mike,

I just now saw this thread, I really like this rig, the first one was nice this one is just way COOL. It will be much better in the rought stuff then the first rig.:clap :clap :clap
  9. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist

Oddometer:
    Sorry, was so excited to post, didn't even see the new Forum! Very cool, and thanks for the "move".

Best,
  10. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    Any chance of seeing some pics of the mounting brackets and frame bracing on your bikes?

Pezz :)
  11. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist

Oddometer:
    We've just provisionally qualified a rider on a 'Strom for the Silk Road next year. Our concerns with this capable-looking bike are twofold: (1). that exposed, chin-mounted oil cooler and (2). the cast wheels. However, we've noted our concerns to this rider, and he understands his "exposure". I look forward to seeing how the 'Strom does. It would be good to put another model on the approved short list. Certainly, Touratech has put their (farkle available) stamp of approval on it :D<G>.

Best,
  12. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist

Oddometer:
    We've just provisionally qualified a rider on a 'Strom for the Silk Road next year. Our concerns with this capable-looking bike are twofold: (1). that exposed, chin-mounted oil cooler and (2). the cast wheels. However, we've noted our concerns to this rider, and he understands his "exposure". I look forward to seeing how the 'Strom does. It would be good to put another model on the approved short list. Certainly, Touratech has put their (farkle available) stamp of approval on it :D<G>.

Best,
  13. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist

Oddometer:
    Would be very interested in hearing how the Wilburs peform for you on a hack. I've only known of one rider/client that had a set, on his R100GSPD (2-wheeler). They worked great for him, but, he was a fairly conservative rider, and didn't hunt for dirt.

Thanks,
  14. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist

Oddometer:
    Hey Mr. COB, good to hear from you. Been a while since we've been out tri-wheeling. Damn, I love my Gear-Up too, but, am not the type that ever wants to trailer anything that began life as a motorsickle, and the lack of oomph in the Russian Iron on the freeways stresses me out. The Russians do make a fine tub though. How's your rig treating you?

For the longest time, I was thinking about re-powering the Ural with a good old Airhead boxer motor, but all in all, I think the transplant I've done instead will make me a lot happier in and on the long run (hate giving up that 2WD and reverse though!).

Later,
  15. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy Mike,

Ever since IMWA installed the Ducati ignition system in my rig it "stopped" burning pistons, I finally after four pistons convinced IMWA to swap in the Duc spark maker. I have put 17,000 very hard kilometers on it since the melt down while on the way to the Copper Canyon and no more problems.

Your idea to transplant a R80 or R100 engine is a good one but I fear it will over stress the rest of the drive train. I have been running the Herzog gears in my final drive for over 20,000 hard k with no problems, however about 500 k ago the final drive would not shift out of 2wheel drive. Upon inspection we found that half of the bolts that hold the ring gear in place had sheared, the busted bolts held it engaged in 2wd. Sergey installed a new 2wd unit onto the final drive and after inspecting the Herzog gears we could find no evidence of abnormal wear or damage, we then reinstalled the gears.

Steps are being made to up grade the drive train but in time I think a more powerful engine such as the BMW air head would tear up the transmission or final drive if the rig were abused as I do on a regular basis. If you have time you should run your new rig in the "Black Dog" this happens June 7-8th in northwestern Oregon, the "Dirty Face" happens June 14th in eastern Washington. These two events are a LOT of FUN and would give your new rig a test.
  16. KiltBoy

KiltBoy Mahout

Oddometer:
    Mike, you need to update your avatar...
  17. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist

Oddometer:
    Mr. COB -

Good to hear that you're still "test piloting" for Ural, and encouraging to hear that the newer gearsets are holding up to your enthusiastic usage :evil.

Your thoughts on re-powering echo my own. Making one part of a system robust (like, a more powerful motor) adds stress further down the chain, and new problems could arise from stressing a tranny, clutch, final drive, even suspension, from more power.

Would love to do an off-pavement rally in the new hack, but unfortnately (or perhaps "fortunately"?), I'll be guiding a group of World Tourers from Tokyo to Munich this year, and won't return to the NorthWET until mid-July. Hope to see you at this year's PNWGS Rally though!

Best,
  18. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist

Oddometer:
    You're absolutely correct, an oversight I will correct as soon as I have a suitable ("dirty") foto!

Later,
  19. Dr Jim

Dr Jim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sadly, it looks like the Black Dog has been moved to June 7th & 8th - which puts it in a dead conflict with the Dirty Face ride....

The Black Dog AMA/Suzuki National Dualsport & AMA/Suzuki National Adventure Ride for 2008 will be bumped up to June 7~8

Quoted directly from the ONRA website here:

http://www.blackdogdualsport.com/bd_events.htm

This is major suckage IMHO, they are both great events, and I'd HATE having to choose - do you have later or better info Mr. Cobb?

Cheers

Jim
  20. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: