Getting into frozen car door locks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigChris99, Nov 16, 2012.

1. BigChris99

BigChris99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    She works part time at the Walmart in town, so she has access to window washer fluid. I'll tell her to get some.
  2. YOUNZ

YOUNZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hot water, the cheapest, most effective.
  3. fierostetz

fierostetz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stick a magnet over the keyhole when she parks? To keep snow out?
  4. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beware of pouring hot liquids on a frozen car. You can break the glass with thermal shock.
  5. BigChris99

Oddometer:
    That would be BAD! Thanks for that headsup.
  6. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the one, one of those flexible fridge magnets is magic.

Just leave it sitting there when you park, keep a few in the car in case some retard steals one, even if the car ices up, you can just peel it loose.

(That assumes the lock has had graphite in it and isn't already half full of water).

Pete
  7. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Car glass is tough. warm not boiling hot will not hurt it. Here is a myth busters show, I doubt you could break modern glass.

Rod
  8. rjsurfer

rjsurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just have her boyfriend pee on the lock.

Ron W.
  9. mjydrafter

mjydrafter evil boy for life

Oddometer:
    :lol3Apparently none of these responders drive POS cars in freezing areas. (Not that a Camry is POS:D).

However, here in Iowa we do get some freezing BS precipitation that can really be a bitch.

Most of the suggestions are good.

I have had to use Heat (the stuff you put in your gas) to un-freeze locks before. Just poke a really small hole in the foil without removing it, and it's like a squirt gun, just squeeze. Maybe squirt a little with the key half way in, etc.

As far as the doors freezing shut the best defense is a good offense as noted, silicone on the seals and clean door latches are really important. Cleaning door latches is not fun, and there are no easy ways, but in most cases there is no other option. The original grease will have dried out long ago, and they do see some dust, dirt, and wear particles.
  10. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I doubt it, I've sprayed starting fluid on a windshield and lit it to melt the ice. :lol3
    But I don't recommend doing it on a car you like or plan to keep.
  11. Kenny M.

Kenny M. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had to do that once. Looks silly but it will work.
  12. P B G

P B G Long timer

Oddometer:
    You had to have your boyfriend pee on your lock?
  13. Twilight Error

Twilight Error Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer:
    Or your car at all...
  14. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've driven cars that cost $75, it was an option.
    Made even more logical when the heater didn't work.
  15. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    Spray the locks with silicone, WD40, weasel piss, or whatever's your favorite light lube. Spraying the door seals and window seals with silicone is a great idea also -- it prevents a lot of problems, because they can freeze to the jambs. Lubricate the outside door handles also, Yanking on a frozen door handle can cause it to break off in your hand. This is when a sun roof comes in handy.

Get a little squirt bottle with denatured alcohol, Heet, or whatever, and keep it on hand. If the lock freezes, squirt some into the keyhole. If it still doesn't work, squirt more on and light it.

After this, re-lube. The alcohol will wash out any lube that's there.

From Ice Station Zebra.
  16. BigChris99

Oddometer:
    Taking notes over on the West Coast...... Thanks all
  17. marc-s

marc-s photographer

Oddometer:
    sometimes it helps using the door on the other side. Had that problem last winter: the passenger side door was less affected than the drivers one. and way too often it's not the lock that freezes but the mechanism inside the door and the part that makes contact with the cars frame. so be sure to apply lots of grease to the whole mechanism. And apply some vaseline or smiliar to the door gaskets, as the tend to freeze too. the more the merrier. and the better they seal, the less moisture you'll get into your door. Depending on your car it may makes sense to add an additiional outside seal to the door, so that less water can enter the door lock mechanism.

if you have the problem every day I guess the only thing that really helps is drying the shit out of that door. And then you can thinkg about on how to prevent new moisture entering it. but first of all you need to get rid of what's already inside.
  18. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    WD-40 used PREEMPTIVELY works great. Displaces the moisture that can freeze. Nozzle in the key slot and hose it out. Another BIG offender is the door gasket can get wet with melt water, then freeze overnight. Knuckle dragging mouth breathers routinely rip the door handle right off... (they are very tender compared to yesteryear) so if that is encountered, try all the other doors, maybe find one not frozen as bad, or grab the edges of the door with strong (daughters manly bud) fingers and pull while holding the handle unlatched. Also, use dry silicone spray on all the door gaskets BEFORE winter, it will reduce the freezing to a minimum. Your welcome. :1drink
  19. pennswoodsed

pennswoodsed lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer:
    What if she doesn't have a "boy" friend?

Bigger question is aftermarket alarm ,constant draw will kill battery ,charging system . No start provision will make jump impossible . Voltage circuit will trigger when battery gets low, alarm triggers ,annoying neighbors ,coup de gras for battery !
    Lubed locks won't freeze , wettish door seals will .
    Regards,Ed
  20. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    I got a Harbor Freight solar battery charger for my Daughter's car seldom used at college.. after a 200 mile road call for the dead battery. Good of you to mention that. It never went dead here, even when sitting for 4-6 weaks, we never locked the old crud, alarm didn't set.