Iowa Roll Call

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by bellbear, Jul 29, 2008.

1. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I was at that ride as well. I work in Albia, live in Moravia and looks like I ride quite a few of the same places you do.

I did the same as you, re-rode that route (using the roll chart paper) last week before it started raining.

I went the route you did on the ride.....when I cam back I went up the hill instead.

[​IMG]

Then rode around some of the wider trails - looks like they were cleared with a bulldozer - went to a few farm fields close by.....

[​IMG]

The B level roads in southern Iowa....some decent riding if you look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even some fair single track in Stephens State forest.....lots of logging roads and paths

[​IMG]

I have as much fun as I can.....for a fat guy on a KLR.

[​IMG]
  2. M.S.R.

M.S.R. The Tenere Rider

Oddometer:
    Aaron
    We need to go riding with you some time. Eric remembers you from that dual sport ride,. I did get to ride some of that Stevens Forest and that was really good.
    Steve
  3. aaronrkelly

Oddometer:

Lol....maybe he remembers me sliding my ass down the gravel after I over cooked the 4th corner, a whole 3 mins out of the start. :huh

I was kinda out of place on my KLR.....wearing my jeans and leather jacket......but I had lots of fun and will definitely do it again. Perfect conditions really....those roads when its really wet are pretty miserable. With the B levels dry......and the gravel thin and fast......I dont think we ever ran under 60 mph for any length of time.

Ive also got a BMW G650GS that my girlfriend rides most of the time.....still has the Tourances on it so I opted to leave it home.....which is a good thing cause it doesnt bounce of the gravel roads as well :D

Im sure you could show me all kinds of places Im missing out on - Ive only been gravel traveln' for 6 months.
  4. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    His name is Tex_Downey

[​IMG]

We de-n00b'd him here out west in California. He's coming back to IA shortly. Treat him well.
  5. M.S.R.

M.S.R. The Tenere Rider

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

6. M.S.R.

M.S.R. The Tenere Rider

Oddometer:
    More Iowa riding today

Attached Files:

7. aaronrkelly

Oddometer:
    Is that over by Chariton/Lucas?
  8. M.S.R.

M.S.R. The Tenere Rider

Oddometer:
    I think we were across the southern boarder in
  9. tex_downey

tex_downey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Eric. :evil

Two weeks and im on my way home to this cold state. 2200 miles on the 650. should be fun.

Never Thought I would miss Iowa the the fall riding looks fun, fun till you hit wet leaves.

Im sure ill post again later, the ADV crew out in CA is real tight, made life great. Im sure its the same back home (keeping fingures crossed)
  10. KTM265

KTM265 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like the weather is finally going to get messy on us...
  11. aaronrkelly

Oddometer:
    Looks like a blip in the radar here in southern Iowa....a few drizzles then sunny and 42 on wed......high 30s thru sat with no rain or snow in sight. Far from messy......I havent even bothered putting the snow blade on my ATV yet. :1drink
  12. Calkins

Calkins On Any Sunday... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nothing set in stone, but there are a few here and there. A club out of the Tama OHV park had one in late spring.
  13. KTM265

KTM265 Long timer

Oddometer:

Got mine on but it wouldn't break my heart to take it off and take it up to WI pretty soon for some winter trail riding.
  14. M.S.R.

M.S.R. The Tenere Rider

Oddometer:
    We made it out to some good riding today.

Attached Files:

15. UnderPowered

UnderPowered Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me too :) ... sorry no pics though. After the last three winters we deserved a day like today for Christmas!
  16. ChuckHazzard

ChuckHazzard Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    The corn state,11 curves in 318 miles (Iafalls IA)
    Yep. Took the 640 out for some fun today.

We have just a touch more snow than you guys.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think the geese are confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. M.S.R.

M.S.R. The Tenere Rider

Oddometer:
    MXChamp,
    Do you still Moto X? I was wandering if I would know you. I have raced MX in Iowa for 40 years.
  18. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I rode yesterday too.:D

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="425" height="240" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1646162292_PpB5wCz?width=425&height=240"></iframe>
  19. ChuckHazzard

Oddometer:
    Not anymore. That was my younger years.

Waterloo mainly at the old cattle congress track. Haven't even gone to see the new track.

Even tried to race in Winterset but got the days or times mixed up and didn't make that either. Can't remember which.

There was one time I was going to race in New Hartford but my truck broke down that Sunday morning 10 miles from home.

Had to get the CR out of the box to ride back home for tools and parts.

Goodtimes!!

I should change my user name because I am more of a chump than champ.

My last MX race was at the cattle congress where I overshot the double and cased it on the triple. Bounced so high I landed and slid off the tabletop with my right leg caught between the rear tire and swing arm.

The corner Marshall grabbed my leg and yanked it out. The bike landed perfectly upside down and I could have adjusted the chain while I was there. He helped me flip her over while I was getting passed, she fired up the first kick and I managed to pass some people before the race was over.

Ran into that Marshall a couple months later, he was a mechanic at webers cycle in Waterloo. He told me that was the funniest crash he had ever seen.

I should have run the A class. In the B class if you do the triple they bump you into the A class anyway. I was going to be cautious and didn't want to crash. Guess I failed.

That 1998 RM 250 was the best bike I ever owned for my last race. My CR was a 1985.

Man I'm old!

Now it's just dual sporting for me and I am still slooooowwwww!! Too chicken to do half the jumps at the Waterloo OHV park. I'm not in my younger 20's anymore.

20. ChuckHazzard

Oddometer:
    Hey 2 whlrcr.

Repost that video of you last year riding around in the snow.

Give us something to remember how fortunate we are to have such nice weather this year.

:)