Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...I had a chance to take a close look at one 'o them CRF250Leszz the other day.
    It might be an O.K. starter bike but really...how disappointing.
    It's really cheap-o looking. Welded on peg brackets, lacky fork, looks very Chinesey.
    I'm embarrassed for Honda.
    It is not a real moto like the WR.
    Even the Honda parts guy told me it was just an excuse by Honda to get into the small dualsport market.
    Shameful... :puke1
  2. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    The truth comes out. Non adjustable shock and lame-o forks is not honda quality.
  3. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also 16K valve intervals on the Honda. Not a lot of aftermarket yet either.
  4. UtahFox

UtahFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kalani is entertaining, he'd be fun to ride with. OK - now I think I'm 98% of the way there. One of the % is the weight of this bike, though Rick Ramsey was able to easily get 12 pounds off it, putting it at 280 (?) dry. The other 1% is me getting my bike sold.
  5. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Searching this thread is tough.

So we have 3 options I see or tanks. IMS 3.0 $265, IMS 4.7 $400, Safari 3.7 for $500.

Common sense tells me IMS 4.7. had one on the KLR and never had an issue. Whats says ADV? both brands take a fall(s) well? We all know what the Safari looks like from BigDogs bike. An extra gallon and $100 cheaper, what's the catch?
  6. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
    ...O.k., I'll blather first.

The IMS 3 gal is simple easy and just enough gas for your every weekend 150 mile jaunt. Doesn't add alot of weight, i.e., handling isn't affected.
    (Just Gastanks gives a discount too!)
    All the big dog adventurers here think they need great grand gallons of gas to be complete. Well, gallons add weight.
    So think about what you really need.
    If you're planning for that trip across the Gobi, best go big.
    If not, go small, save cash, and carry one or two petrol bottles just in case.

The Safari is a looker though...:evil

See the tool tube? Perfect fit for a gas bottle!
    [​IMG]
  7. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    The IMS 4.7 looks like a poorly-cooked turkey.

Dyslexics untie!
  8. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Judging by the CR250L thread it seems there are plenty of owners quite happy with the bike. Everyone has different budgets/desires etc... Seems like a nice enough bike to me all things considered. The guy that started the thread where he bought both a wr250r and a crf250l thought the honda actually looked better put together. Anyway to each their own.
  9. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
    ...yeah, we're baggin' on it here at the WR sanctum.
    I'm sure it's a fun little bike. Just ain't what some of us think it could be...:norton

"Could it be that the return of the all-purpose motorcycle — one you can ride to, as well as through, the woods is returning? If so, Honda’s CRF250L should be at the head of the class"

not :D
  10. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    Catch? There is no catch, except the extra weight and size of the tank.

I originally bought a Safari 3.7gal. I didn't like the added width between my knees, and I still don't like the idea of having a secondary fuel pump that could fail out in the middle of nowhere when you're counting on it. The main reason I sold it was it would take more gas than I'd want to carry as extra (more than 2 1L MSR bottles) to reprime the fuel lines in the wings should it run out.

I now have and have had the IMS 3.1 tank for 20k+ miles, one of the originals. I did have problems with fuel weeping around the pump gasket until I switched over to the big honkin' o-ring they supply now with the tanks. Otherwise, no issues at all. On the highway I have a solid 140-150 mile range, on back roads and trails where I get better mpg's its closer to 200 miles. The bottles, which live on top of my wolfman enduro saddlebags, give me an extra 20-40 miles. Same width as stock, in fact its hard to tell its even there. Thats plenty for exploring back east, and plenty for traveling all over unless you start getting really remote. For the Dalton I brought a 2gal gas can for example. Otherwise, I've only ever needed the bottles 2 or 3 times and usually only because I skipped a gas station for whatever reasons (87 only, line too long for 1 pump, etc).

If I lived in the southwest, where there could potentially be hundreds of miles without gas, I'd get the IMS 4.7gal without much hesitation. Might even still try to carry a rotopax, 1gal or 2gal, just to be able to get out and get really lost if I wanted to. Or stick with the 3.1 and a gas can.
  11. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I've got a WR250R and an X, and just picked up a CRF250L. It was substantially cheaper, so my expecations are that it won't be on quite the same level as the R/X. I haven't taken delivery yet, but at some point I will provide some feedback on how they compare. Always gotta keep in mind though... I think the price difference is over $2000. That's alot of money for farkling and riding gear, and the riding experience might just be about the same for some people. Everybody's expectations and requirements are a little different.
  12. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I don't like taking fuel bottles. Just a hassle. I have strapped a gatorade bottle on once since I knew I was going to be pushing it from A-B years back. I have yet to buy the bike yet, just planning farkle priorities. Of course the most expensive 3.7 just seems ideal for what I am used to carrying on larger pigs. Maybe I need to get over that fact. I am buying this bike to slow down my pace and do more site seeing than blazing gravel.
  13. avgas

avgas amateur

Oddometer:
    I live in central Oregon, where gas stations can be scarce, and so far I've been fine with the stock gas tank. I do carry an extra liter or two in my wolfman saddlebags, just in case. I find that you can ride a long time on two gallons riding at a moderate pace offroad... unless your in deep sand, but in those conditions I wouldn't want a big heavy tank anyway. Point is, be honest about what you actually need.
  14. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you read the whole thread? I haven't been there for a while, but my recollection is the "I bought both" guy concluded that doesn't have much use for the Honda, but thinks it is a decent bike for a commuting or a girl-friend bike. Not saying it doesn't look useful. If gravel and pavement is the mission, I think it would be my 1st choice for cheap, reliable, dual sport. Adding in dirt, it looks like the WRR is much superior.

I think the best alternatives to the WRR for off-road dual-sport folks are the DR-Z400 for the budget-challenged, or 350/500 EXC for the better-funded folks.
  15. burtonrider3889

burtonrider3889 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My take on the 250L VS the WR:

My cousin bought a new 250L while I still had my street bike. Riding his around the woods was the reason I sold my SV and got the WR. After doing research the WR always stood out as a much better bike. From riding both I would definitely agree. The Honda is still a great bike, and I'm sure in a couple years buying one used will be even sweeter. But what it really lacked to me was power. It didn't have enough Mmph for me to have fun flogging it on the street. In the dirt it was OK. Suspension seemed pretty good even though not adjustable. If you are short the Honda is much friendlier. I just lowered my front forks and stock rear shock last night and I am still pretty much on tippy toes at 5'10''. On the honda I can easily touch the balls of my feet down if not almost flat foot. Lastly, the kickstand on the honda comes down super easy so you have to watch out if you jump anything because it can flip down upon landing cutting off the bike and causing serious problems.
  16. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
    ...one word...18HP...
  17. burtonrider3889

burtonrider3889 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure that's two words. :rofl
  18. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Well, UtahFox.. pretty much everything I've done is on my website, basherdesigns.com, I have a list of farkles and pretty much all my DIY mods...

Hmm.. what to do this winter :evil
  19. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Anyone else see this months Rider Magazine.. they once again did a shootout with the WR250R, CRF250L, and the KLX250S... and this time ACTUALLY had a WR250R to ride!! Last time they didn't and still did a review.. lol Now I'm not sure about Rider Mag's "adventure" test riders.. sometimes they are a bit "wannabe" adventurers, but they still gave the win to the WR250R.. again! :clap
  20. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    I hear ya.... and I don't know what everyone else is paying.. but I paid $4600ish for my '08 WR250R brand new... so what's the CRF250L really selling at? I'd buy last yrs model of the WR before buying that little red baby bike :D

The WR hasn't changed hardly at all since '08 so a year older WR is still, in my opinion, a much better buy than the newer CRF if you find the right deal on the WR.... I test road the CRF250L.. and for a budget buyer its a decent bike and fun, but no WR.

But I'd ride one of those red ones if I had to.. I think I would... :evil