Drz400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Britmick, May 4, 2007.

1. haildamage

haildamage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i haven't performance modded mine so i'm no expert. a lot of people are putting 440 kits on plus some other mods, hot cams, FCR carb, etc. the bikes stay pretty reliable even with many of these mods. i'm not sure of the PS but maybe almost 50?

advrider.com is a great bbs. however, for questions regarding a particular bike i think it's best to find a more specific forum! try the thumpertalk.com drz forum.
  2. ninja gwairf

ninja gwairf B-D-S-R.

Oddometer:
    So, I'm gonna bend the rules a little bit but I figure this would be a better place to check.

I have a K3 DR650 and I'm going to do a fork swap with K3 DRZ-400 forks, and I have pretty much everthing I need except for the front wheel assembly. I need the wheel.hub/axle/disc/etc. If you have it all or just one piece of the puzzle pm me! Thanks and again sorry to post this here! :D

Jeff
  3. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    I've got one too!

[​IMG]

Best Dual-Sport out there for the $$$$. I really like this bike. It's a PIG compared to my KX250 (which sadly I haven't been able to ride in the last 6mos :bluduh ); but having that tag is a beautiful thing you can ride 100miles to some trails ride all day and then ride the bike back home :ricky

I had what I thought was the ultimate DS a XR650L that had all kinds of Upgrades and Farkles on it, but then this came along; Did a straight trade and couldn't have been happier.
    It came with the Clarke 3.9 tanks, skid plate and some sort of "jet kit" put in it.
    I added the CRC/TT Case Guards, some Tag X5 YZ double Hi bars, pro-grip dual compound grips, an E model rear shock with a 6.0kg Race Tech spring, a Twin-Air filter, Manual cam chain tensioner, DRC edge taillight (not installed yet) and I just bought some E model forks done up by Factory Connection

[​IMG]

I'm trying to source a different carb for the bike for some added ooomph and probably going to go to a Larger head-pipe in the future (gonna keep the stock can on though).
    After those mods, I'm gonna leave the bike alone.
  4. MKorn

MKorn 2whl Addict

Oddometer:
    My first post here might as well be on the DRZ thread :-)
    Here is mine!

[​IMG]
  5. ThumperDRZ

ThumperDRZ Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer:

Now go get that thing dirty....(get some knobbies of course....) then you can clean it the old fashion Missouri way...........(see the DRZ?)
  6. MKorn

MKorn 2whl Addict

Oddometer:
    Thanks and the knobbies are on thier way (D606's)

It has been dirty and muddy ... i just like to clean my bikes when i put them away. :clap

That pic was right after i got it ... i need to take some new pic's of her.
  7. MikeN

MikeN Ridemaster

Oddometer:
  8. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    :eek1:tb
  9. ezriderzzr

ezriderzzr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whats the best tyres for winter riding, i travel 120 miles to work (in Scotland) so i'm looking for a tyre that's good on tarmac & in the snow, any feedback would be much appreciated. :D
    I have a 2006 DRZ400s
  10. jespo

jespo Guest

Hi,
    I just bought a 2002 DR-Z400s with 2k miles... all original... love it.

I was reading about the cam chain tensioner issue on this thread and was wondering if there is any way to tell if my bike has the updated cam chain tensioner.

Please let me know. :ear
  11. jeff_in_rc

jeff_in_rc A DRZ kind of guy

Oddometer:
    All of these cool looking bikes and I'm dying to get one! Your making me drool all over myself!

I have a guy interested in my XR400 here in town but he has to sell 2 of his bikes before he can get mine, man it's killing me i've got to wait cause I will use the $$ from the sale to get a used DRZ.

And to top it off I spent 3 hours working on my co-workers DRZ Saturday. Pulled the carb and unplugged the PJ, set the rear sag, pulled the clutch safety switch, the kick stand switch, and just checked it over. BTW the best thing you can do is when you get the screws off of the carb bowl go get some SS allen screws to replace the cheezy phillips screws.

Keep em coming!! :clap
  12. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:

ThumperTalk DRZ Forum

I have a similar bike, I put the TT MCCT on it (if there's threads on yours it's already been done; but probably hasn't). It's only $35 You also need to RED loctite the Nut for the Countershaft Sprocket and the Primary Nut (this is inside the engine case). Take the suspension apart and REGREASE all the bearings for some reason there's very little grease from the factory on the bearings.

Here's some maps/GPS tracks from my Summer Vacation in W.Mass
  13. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. SugarDust

SugarDust Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer:
    Well -- since everyone is posting their DRZs - I thought I would share a picture of mine too:

[​IMG]
    • DynoJet Stage 1 Kit
    • FMF Q2 S/A Exhaust
    • Airbox 3 X 3 cut out
    • K&N Filter and Prefilter
    • Clarke Fuel Tank
    • Deleted clutch/kickstand and clutch "safety" switches - dont need them causing a problem in the middle of nowhere!
    • Michelin AC10 Tires
    • Heavy Duty Tubes
    • Rim Locks
    • Tones Skid Plate
    • TT Case Guards
    • Passenger Peg Deletes
    • Kuoba DRZ3 Lowering link
    • Dirtly bar risers
    • Renthal Bars & Grips
    • Acerbis Hand Guards
    • MSR Front Fender Bag
    • IMS Super Stock Foot pegs
    • UFO Tailight Unit
    • LED Front turn signals (Removed stalks)
    • Gel Seat
    • Lowered gearing (13/47)
    This picture was taken last summer before all of my mods were complete. The picture location is south of Hayden Colorado -- looking towards Wyoming - . The Zuk is an excellent bike that I have taken on single track and all manner of 4WD/dual track roads...has never let me down.
  15. ezriderzzr

ezriderzzr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone else have a DRZ400s in Fife Scotland, or round about this area, if so would'nt mind going for a bit of offroading sometime [​IMG]
  16. BillC

BillC Banned

Oddometer:
  17. ezriderzzr

ezriderzzr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool bike m8, hoping to get mine up to the same standard when time and money allows..........:clap
  18. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    Here's some recent pics
    dirt mode
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    SuMo mode
    [​IMG][/IMG]
  19. Chilipepper

Chilipepper Baja wannabe

Oddometer:
    I've got an 06 black SM because I got sick of trying to licence my old ATK406.

It's a great little machine, and with the stock exhaust is stupidly quiet which is great since it's so slow you have to ride like a total wanker to have fun on it.

I haven't done much to it yet but I got rid of the front brake line and swapped it for a stainless one. Now the thing actually stops. I've rejetted and done the 3x3 mod. I have thumpertalk side guards to protect the sides of the engine -I mean what were they thinking, they didn't try saving weight anywhere else on the bike but the side covers they make out of M&M shells!

I run Michelin Pilot powers because the dunslops it came with were shiite. It's ok for sticky tires to wear out very quickly but how come ones that couldn't stick to flypaper on a hot day wear out so fast? Had a few scary episodes with losing the front end before I got rid of them. Good ridance!

I haven't gotten a new tailight but I got rid of the backfender and with some aluminum -actually an innocent stop sign on my street, I made some new brackets for the signals and plate and tucked the stock light in under the fender a bit. When I find one that's good I plan to upgrade it.

I'm looking into getting the race tech springs for both ends cause the ride's a bit soft for my size. I'm not sure if I want the gold valves for them though.

I also want to get the front headlights and flyscreen from the buell ulysses to replace the pathetic stock unit. Does anyone have any experience with the amount of light the buell lights put out? If this big was fast at all it would be scary at night with all the deer around here.

Attached Files:

20. slip

slip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, here is my 02 that I got a few days ago. I haven't done anything to it yet. Thinking my first mod might be the SDG seat. Only 3k miles on it. Just barely broke in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]