Husaberg 70 Degree Owners Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KayaKTM, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Knobbiethrower

Knobbiethrower ADV in ADK

Oddometer:
    Makes me wonder if this area was "engineered" with this purpose in mind. It is a perfect pocket for a small storage area.
  2. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Parked my FE390 on some soft ground a few weeks ago, after a while the side stand sunk into the ground and the bike fell over. Bent the side stand a little bit and today it finally gave up and folded forward, no longer able to hold the bike up.

Is there an after market side stand available that is strong enough to take a small amount of abuse? I never put any weight on the stand but it would be nice not to have to baby it so much all the time.

3. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    I haven't heard on this mega thread or elsewhere that the FE Bergs had a weak kickstand issue. I think you may have gotten unlucky and the stand sinking and bike leveraging it just right managed to bend it a little and then the structural integrity was gone.

I sometimes do sidestand swivels to turn my FE390 180degrees around on super tight trails, even with luggage on it, and that puts a lot of weight on my OEM stand and it's never had any problems.

ProMoto Billet makes aftermarket stands for dirtbikes call "Kick-It" but not sure if the KTM version would fit a FE Berg.

http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=25
  4. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:

Thanks for the link, I'm going to call them and see if they can fit a Husaberg.

As for the weak kickstand, the dealer warned me about it being weak the first time I looked at the bike. My KTM friends tell me KTM kickstands are weak, the berg's stand looks to be made the same as KTMs.
    However, you're right, I don't see mention of it on this or the other large berg thread.

5. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    I'm on my 3rd kickstand, I'd say they are kind of a weak component on the bikes. :ear
    Still haven't found any aftermarket stand for it, but I haven't looked since the bike was new to me after breaking #1 stand.

One broke in a situation just like yours, on soft ground, another with me being carless and now I have my third reinforced and pay close attention to it.

Coming up from the bottom the stand is hollow for about 3.5 inches and mine broke right after the hollow part starts each time. I found an aluminum rod that just fit, jammed it in there and had a new slightly larger foot welded on the bottom.
    So far so good.

[​IMG]
  6. rensho

rensho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are known to be weak. Anyone that likes to dismount their bikes by standing on the peg and swinging their leg over to stand down is really asking for it. That puts all your weight on that little kickstand.
    Mine's been fine, but i treat it delicately.
    The foot is small, so changing that would be a big plus.
  7. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    Mine cracked at the top across the hole the bushing and mounting bolt goes through. The flange on the bushing also cracked and deformed allowing the stand enough slack to push outward and past the stop that keeps it from folding forward.

Other than the sinking in the ground tip over I have not put any stress on the stand other than normal side stand duty.

8. zimi

zimi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, just finished the Tuareg Rally with my 640 Adventure. Most other riders have much lighter bikes, ktm 450, 530, suzuki dr z 400, Husqvarna and I saw quite a lot of Husaberg 70°.

Now I am thinking about buying a Husaberg to prepare my next rally bike. The bike is almost perfect as it comes, need only rear fuel tank, and few instruments..

I will not be able to compare these bikes before buying it. I will buy second hand and I wanted to ask if there is any difference in reliability between the 390, 450 and 570.

The about the year. Is there any difference between the models 2008 until the last ones produced in 2012?

About the engine, is there really a sensible difference between a 390 and a 450?

thanks!!!
  9. motoxer667

motoxer667 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a friend that is looking to purchase a 2011 FE390. Anything he should look for? Reliable? Any reason to stay away from this bike?
  10. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    I washed mine yesterday, went out in the garage today and looked at it, sure is pretty when clean! :wink:

Tell him to buy one, he'll be so sorry if he doesn't! Weak side stand or not.

11. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    The only known issues that I have heard about are the fuel pumps. There was a period of bad fuel pumps that would lock up when the fuel began to heat up. These bikes do heat the fuel because of the routing of the exhaust. So there was a batch of fuel pumps that would lock up and leave you stranded until the fuel cooled. The work arounds have been many, wrapped pipes, ceramic coating, heat blanket under the tank.. Husaberg came out with a new fuel pump that has solved the problem or the bike may never have had one of the bad batch. I would ask the previous owner what he has done to the bike to solve the hot fuel issue and see what he says.

It is tough to put extra fuel on the bike,, the subframe tank is made from unobtanium, the Safari tanks are 700 bucks.

Other than that the bikes have been pretty bomb proof, check for leakage around the counter sprocket, check for bearing play in the wheels, ask when the valves were last checked and what the outcome was. The 390 is often described as the most magical of the 70 degree bikes.
  12. Åmme

Åmme Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Zimi, if you will use the bike mainly for rally I would go for 570 and nothing less. Have converted two bikes one 2009 and one 2012 the main difference between the years is that 2012 it have the new close cartridge fork otherwise the changes are minor.
  13. cyborg

Oddometer:
    motoxer667, my 2011 FE390 has been pretty bomb-proof so far. Still running the same fuel pump and at 70hrs the first valve check all was still well in spec. May check valves again at 150hrs next.

My last dirtbike was a RXV550 arm-yanker, way too much power offroad. I wanted something less brutal for technical riding and the 570's still had too much power for that IMHO, barely use 25% of the throttle.

I do much prefer the FE390 engine over the 450 and 570, and I have ridden quite a few of the FE450/570 models. The 570 for desert/sand racing for sure and maybe long distance dual-sporting to handle taller gearing. The 390 gets the best fuel mileage, is the smoothest running, lightest feeling, and has more than enough power with the 3 map settings to handle any tough technical riding and still cruises quite happily at freeway speeds all day long if needed. The 390 doesn't wheelie in every gear like the big bore thumpers, but it lifts the front just fine in the first couple of gears for trail work, especially if running the 12 tooth in front. It climbs gnarly hills like a demon too. HighFive seems to like his :augie My .02
  14. cyborg

Oddometer:
    I recently installed the Rekluse adjustable-clutch slave to go with my previously installed Rekluse Core EXP auto clutch. Pretty sweet to be able to adjust the auto-clutch externally with nothing but a 4mm allen wrench. Plus if the starter or batt died for some reason, spin the allen a few turns and it's back to a standard clutch and can be push-started.

Question: Minor problem, when I went to re-install my Husaberg Hard Parts Case/Slave chain guard it no longer fits because Rekluse runs the bleeder fitting on the side (better spot BTW). I have to run the stock plastic guard again for now.

Is anyone running the Rekluse adjustable-clutch slave and a slave/case guard that fits with it and if so what kind? Thanks.
  15. motoxer667

motoxer667 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you everyone for the advise. He is negotiations with the owner now on the final price.
  16. BogeyMan

BogeyMan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess you missed my earlier posts with the EXACT same setup and questions? :D

For now, I've gone back to the stock chain guide/guard and drilled a 15mm hole through so I can access the clutch slave adjust.

I queried the guys at Rekluse and they suggested Enduro Engineering's slave guard might work better (or at least is more modifiable), so I'm gonna give that a try. I have one on order, but because of my broken wrist I'm a bit of a cripple right now as I can't ride, let alone wrench.

Sounds like your bike and mine are twins, separated at the end of the production line :freaky
  17. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.

I was in the Tuareg as well, on the 2012 570 with the large white front shield:

[​IMG]

IMO it's the perfect bike for a beginner-advanced rider for a Tuareg style event, only real experts will be able to manage a 690 sized bike on the hard dune days etc. I used the 70° Racing subframe tank and with 12.5 liters never ran out of fuel although it was pretty close a couple of times.

You should go for a 2009-2012 570 model, no noteable differences between them. The 390/450 bikes weigh basically the same and the engine character of the 570 is pretty mellow, so unless you ride only tight stuff I would go for the bigger engine. The significant extra power makes it much easier to ride sand and it's nice to have on the fast gravel roads.
  18. jrozar

jrozar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The latest....

Its starting to take shape...

Front Fairing, Scotts Dampner, Lights, and some control switches installed :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Radiator Guards & Front Disk Guard installed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    My low pipe and rear safari tank arrived from Oz!

[​IMG]

Just a little wear from this little adventure ride called Dakar.

Thanks to Baja Dad for the help in getting the pipe and tank...
  20. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    Dont think I ever posted photos with the Renazco seat.. it replaced a Seat Concepts low seat.. the Renazco is a solid 1-2" taller..which is a problem for my 31" inseam. But James insisted he couldnt make it any lower and still keep it comfortable. I will probably keep the SC seat on for the muddy, tight, rocky trails here in New England and only use the Renazco when I get out to CO and start doing longer trips on the bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For Comparison

[​IMG]

[​IMG]