Boise ride this weekend...

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by ryanwilliamcantrell, Oct 17, 2007.

1. av_mech

av_mech Risk Taker

Oddometer:
    If I was laid off, I'd be on a beach somewhere in Central America by now with Hobbes 100ft away!
  2. effensteve

effensteve Enjoying the ride

Oddometer:
    Kiss hobbes goodnight, he's going to get lonely for a while :cry. Small business ownership can be fulfilling and very rewarding, BUT, owning a business definately takes a bit more time than working for the man. Way to be the Man Tyson. Congrats, I've got a couple of Saris Ski,bike,board or whatever else you want to stack ontop of your car I'll bring over when your ready.
  3. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    Now I know what to do with all the riding gear I have been saving thinking I'll use it again after I lose some weight. :rofl So I can unload my "skinny" gear and get the fat gear I can wear. :deal

Good luck with your new venture.
  4. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    Good luck at your new endeavor Tyson. :super
  5. FXRBILL

FXRBILL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You may want to post over here http://boiseriders.net/index.php as there are quite a few dirt riders there.Good luck with your new adventure.I am currently unemployed and had to sell both bikes so I could use a job.Was an operations manager for a 2 million dollar a year company that kept downsizing due to the economy until my position was gone.
  6. Handy

Handy Sunburnt

Oddometer:
    I went on my first ride today since breaking my foot 6/23/12 up above Hell's Canyon. I got out of the walking boot on Monday and my foot has been feeling better every day.
    I rode out to Birch Creek Ranch, Jordan Craters, Pomp's grave, and up to South Mountain Lookout before heading home. 300 miles and about 10 hours, my foot is a little sore but not too bad at all. I had a lot of fun and it was a great day for a ride.

I am thinking of going up to No Business lookout, Packer John LO and Deadwood Mine on Sunday if anybody is interested.
  7. av_mech

av_mech Risk Taker

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you back on the bike! I may be interested in that ride. I still gotta get two outta those three challenge sites. I'll keep you posted.
  8. daxm

daxm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am so glad to hear you are back in the saddle! I too am back. I need to hit the challenge sites covered in fire right now so I'll post when it is clear to get there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  9. Handy

Handy Sunburnt

Oddometer:
    I would be surprised if you could get to Pinyon Peak and Langer Monument this year, there will likely be snow on that road by the time the area is open again, I tried that road last fall with about four inches of snow on it and didn't make it very far. The road to Sleeping Deer, Twin Peaks, and Fly point is actually the boundary of the closure last I checked so you may be able to get to those now, the USFS in Challis would probably know for sure. Custer and Bonanza should be able to be accessed in October once the fire goes out.
  10. av_mech

av_mech Risk Taker

Oddometer:
    Hey Jesse,
    Sorry I didn't get back to you. My chain and sprockets are in the middle of a change right now and I've got a ton of stuff going on with the business, so I won't be able to make the ride. Be safe!
  11. daxm

daxm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, while my bike was being repaired I decided to enact some upgrades instead of just take the "factory default" replacements. I asked around in the forums, local shops, read AV_Mech's report on his changes to his bike, and even had a chance to talk with Shawn from Rawhyde I was able to put together a wish list of things to change. Today was my first "real" ride on the bike, post upgrades. (Technically I did a quick run up 8th street and then a freeway ride down to Twin Falls prior but I consider those just warm-ups to what I did today.)

The upgrades I had done were Wilbers shocks tuned to my weight and riding style, Remus headers and exhaust, K&N air filter, Sargent seats, and some misc things such as BarkBuster brush guards and oil radiator protector.

Today's ride consisted of a approx 4 hour ride through the "mountains" south of Twin Falls (locally called the South Hills). The terrain was mountain roads in a variety of different states of disrepair. There wasn't any single track or ATV trails but you certainly couldn't have taken a Toyota Corolla on some of them. My father-in-law and brother-in-law came along riding an F650 and 800 Dakar PD respectively. If you didn't know I ride a 2010 R1200GSA.

So, now to the meat of what I want to report.
    In summary: "HOLY SHIT THAT WAS F'ING AMAZING!" (Sorry, I just had to do that.)
    In detail: My bike has transformed. I truly feel like I now have an untamed beast between my legs. Instead of fighting the bike to "stay on the road" I found myself fighting myself to not do anything too aggressive. The tuned shocks kept my tires in constant contact with the ground whereas my old shocks had me bouncing around the road like I was on a pogo stick. Washboard, rocks, gravel, loose gravel, slightly slick dirt (it rained yesterday pretty hard) didn't phase me a bit! In fact I was revving it up and intentionally causing my back tire to break traction FOR FUN. Previously I wouldn't have done that. I now see why turning off ABS on dirt is a good idea. It now makes sense considering my tires stay on the ground.

Speaking of revving... The K&N air filter along with the Remus headers and exhaust have changed my riding as well. Previously I would typically keep my RPMs in the 3000-4000 range. I would only break that on the freeway when I was doing 80mph or so. Now I find myself maintaining my RPMs in the 5000 range and on several occasions going up to 7000 RPMs! Now, do I think Remus is somehow doing that? No. What I think is happening is that the old exhaust system would make the bike "feel" weird if I exceeded approx 4000 RPMs. Now that weird feeling is gone! :clap I have to admit that I don't like how loud the Remus exhaust is but I sure love actually using my power band now!

Lastly, the new seat is comfortable to sit in. Maybe my old seat also played into that weird "feeling" I had in the 4000+ RPM. On the new seat I cannot complain after sitting for something like 4 hours. I did stand here and there but mostly sat. Speaking of standing, I have to report that the Sargent seat does dig into my calves a little when I stand. It isn't horrible but I isn't comfortable either.

What would I do different? I wouldn't change anything I've already done. In fact I think that if/when I get another bike I'll immediately make the changes I've made to this bike.

What would I do more? Well, Shawn from Rawhyde mentioned that I should either get my handlebars raised or I should get different foot pegs that would lower my overall body. Prior to the upgrades, I didn't really understand why but I think I do understand now. Since I'm not fighting the bike any more I've noticed that when I stand up I'm hunched over more than what I consider comfortable. So, my next "upgrade" will probably be a set of foot pegs that offer a larger area for my foot as well as lower the overall position of my body.

So, IF you are not 5' 10" and 180lbs I would STRONGLY suggest you consider changing your shocks system to something that is tuned to you. If you feel like your 1200cc bike just isn't giving you the punch you expect from such a large machine I would suggest you give it more air and let its exhaust flow more freely. If your ass is sore and you are tired after just an hour or two in the saddle then I'd suggest replacing that stock seat with something that allows you to ride the whole day in comfort! :freaky
  12. daxm

daxm Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I need to get to BayHorse and all the sites NE of that. I'm not available to to that until mid-Sept anyway but as that time approaches I'll call the USFS in those areas to ensure I'm okay. I'll also post something if any of you want to come along.
  13. tvbh40a

tvbh40a PSUViking

Oddometer:
    Idaho home of the fiesta bowl champ BSU bronco's
    :clap:clap

I would if I could.
  14. Jason Abbott

Jason Abbott Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer:
    Sounds like some great changes. If you're not opposed, I may ask to swap bikes a bit if we ride together. I've done some of those to my '08 12GSA but not others. I have the Remus header (sadly with dings now) but stock exhaust. And I'm curious about the air filter and seat. I've added a Booster Plug and Rocket Sprocket which I thought helped the crawling around where I shouldn't go. :D

Glad to hear your bike is back and better than ever!
  15. tvbh40a

tvbh40a PSUViking

Oddometer:
    Idaho home of the fiesta bowl champ BSU bronco's
    Sent you a pm.
  16. daxm

daxm Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You bet! I'd love to go riding with you! I'm riding up to the Lewis and Clark Rally this week and then I'm out of town for work the following week but let me know when you want to go... even for a short run up in the Boise foothills!
  17. av_mech

av_mech Risk Taker

Oddometer:
    Thanks Steve! I'd love to have that rack in the store! Click the link in my signature and "like" us on FB. You can stay up to date on the schedule over there. I'm going to make a few replies here, and then stop the spam in this thread. I know they frown on this sort of thing. Pimping my stuff, etc...
  18. av_mech

av_mech Risk Taker

Oddometer:
    Thanks SCExpat! Same thing as Steve, click the link in my signature and follow us on FB. I'd love to get your gear in the store!

Thanks Ed!

Thanks for the recommendation Bill! Bummer about the job. Sorry to hear that. I already have my first employee lined up though. Many of you know him. Tom Tolle is going to work with me full time. But, if I grow as fast as I think I will, I'll be needing to add a third shortly. Follow on FB to find out where we will be located.

Ok, I'm done with the :spam. My last plea and we can get back to the riding in Boise. Click my sig and "like us" on Facebook. Once you do that, you will get all the updates as I get closer to opening. Also, I have an advertising campaign set to run in both the Idaho Statesman and the Boise Weekly. Keep an eye out for our ads. I'll also be posting on Craigslist in several different sections. Keep your fingers crossed for me as I hope to ink the deal tomorrow for my property! Ok. Now I'm done. Contact me through Facebook or via PM so I don't get in trouble and clog this thread. Once again, I hope to see you all in the store! Thanks!

Tyson Stellrecht
  19. effensteve

effensteve Enjoying the ride

Oddometer:
    Hey, does anybody know where I can find a bigger bike to rent for the weekend, or maybe even a long day. you know like a GS, KTM 990, or something like that. The ol wifey is gettin a bit jealous of the weekend trips and thinks she may want to go but has no interest in riding her own. I really don't want to go to Salt Lake to rent one and I don't want to rent a wee 650 from birds of prey, I want her to be comfy. Sort of a try before I buy, but more than a dealer test ride.

Thanks
    Steve
  20. av_mech

av_mech Risk Taker

Oddometer:
    We could talk about you takin Hobbes for the weekend. Shoot me a PM and let me know what ur thinking.