Test rode a BMW C600 Sport today

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by klx250sfguy, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    With enough heads up I can set us up to do some pretty cool stuff. Kayak with the gators or get into some world class fishing!
  2. Rugby4life

Rugby4life Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had all the gator fun I needed last year just outside of Mobile on I-65 when a 5-6 footer crossed the highway just in front of me. He left me just enough room to squeeze past behind him.
  3. Angryrican

Angryrican Beer lover

Oddometer:
    I took advantage of the end of the year deal and purchased a C600 Sport last week:clap
    After commuting on it for that past week into NYC I can honestly say it is awesome! I currently own an F800GS and a Vespa LXV150 I would use depending on where I was going to in Manhattan and the C600 is better than the Vespa since I can take it on the highway instead of taking the local roads to the GW bridge and much easier to maneuver thru the city traffic then the F800GS plus the heated seat and grips make it so comfy.
    The Vespa will now be reserved to local duty and the F800GS to weekend off road fun:D

Well worth the money and I've been averaging 47 MPG's on a 50/50 mix of city highway riding. This is really a street bike with the convenience of a scooter:evil
  4. westgl

westgl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I passed on by the BMW?

That is what they are calling it, Right?

That Thing, is Not even made by BMW, it is a Asian made Scooter(and not a section of Asia that builds quality either) that has had the price jacked up because of the BMW badge that they put on it.

Sorry guys, but you bought a upscale badge, not a upscale bike.

I wonder if the Germans at BMW know how the Asian bike they bought and slapped their BMW badge on, even works?

The Asian Country is China!!

BMW has KYMCO or Kwang Yang Motor Co, Ltd China, build the engines, NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont like Chinese bikes, as they are known for cheap build quality, and taking shortcuts.

I dont mind Chinese food though, the cook at the Chinese restaurant i go to is Mexican, and he is a great cook.

I will pass, on a Chinese built bike, with a expensive built BMW badge.

I will take the Suzuki 650, at least Suzuki builds them.

Bait and switch
  5. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Live To Ride

Oddometer:
    Kymco is a respected builder. They are in Taiwan, not mainland China. Not like I am defending BMW, but many builders have multi-national manufacturing. Kymco initially made parts for Honda. They are the largest scooter manufacturer in Taiwan. They have been making the powerplant for the BMW G450x since 2008.

China isn't a brand. Not everything made in China is crap. Granted, there have been a lot of crappy Chinese scooters dumped on people who think they can buy a "real" scooter for peanuts. There are some Chinese scooter manufacturers (like CFMoto) who are making an effort to improve quality, establish dealerships, and provide parts and support.

I wouldn't discount the BMW/Kymco union on these scoots. Manufacturing quality comes from designing a good product, proper metalurgy, good peripherals, quality control during the build process, etc. BMW has also partnered with Rotax and Aprilia on bikes.

For full disclosure, I haven't ridden the BMW scoots (not in the market for a maxi), but everything I've read about them implies BMW has put full faith in their engine partners.
  6. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spot on Capt. Jim!
  7. John Bentall

John Bentall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Incidentally, I read recently that BMW are going to use a parallel-twin 650cc engine as a "range-extender" in their electric city car, the i3. I wonder where that comes from :D . I would agree that BMW must have the utmost faith in their partner to put this engine in one of their cars.
  8. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    Apple makes their products in China. Are they crap too?
  9. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another Moron with no clue. No clue about geography or bike manufacturers.
  10. PharaohScoots

PharaohScoots Twist-N-GO

Oddometer:
    Lets see how many posts I have made!

I wouldn't be putting my dumb on with only 11 posts. Most of us have been around the block / world a time or two, and know our $#!+

We ride the best and some of the best scooters are made in Asia, and Europe too of course.
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Jerry, I applaud you for actually giving a direct answer and even making some good points. However, I don't agree with all of your points.

For example, I owned a 95 BMW R1100GS and put 87,000 miles on it. I also own a 05 KLR650 with around 31K on it. These bikes are hard to directly compare but I'll try. First, there is a huge difference in cost. The BMW was expensive to buy, maintain, and repair. The KLR is the opposite. The BMW was state of the art technology when I bought it in 94. The KLR, which I bought new in 05, was barely state of the art back in the mid 80s, when it was designed. My BMW did require some expensive repairs but after 87K miles it was still rock solid and would have likely stayed that way for a long time had I not gone deer hunting:huh with it. I doubt my KLR will make it to 87K miles.

Reliability. My BMW required a new tranny at 61K, a motor teardown to replace a cheap plastic part, and numerous other less extensive repairs. My KLR came from the factory with a defective part (the Doohicky) which I managed to get the dealer to replace under warrantee using better parts supplied by me. I also had to replace several sub standard factory parts immediately such as the front brake and skid plate.

The BMW had no direct competition when I bought it. No other bike available could match it's performance and versatility. The current GS does have competition but is still at the top of it's class.

The KLR has only been slightly upgraded once in over 20 years. Like the BMW it's unique, but in a different way.

Jerry, what you don't understand is that some people do value performance and are willing to pay a premium for it. The BMW does offer a lot of performance but at a high price and with less than perfect reliability.

Would I buy another BMW? Unless I win the Lottery or come into a lot of money, probably not. However, I still appreciate what it has to offer. BMW owners tend to put a lot of miles on their bikes and some of them will fail resulting in expensive repairs. That's part of the price of admission. Jerry, just because you put very little value in performance, other than the ability to haul you butt up hills, doesn't mean others don't.

Personally, I have a lot of respect for anyone who shares my passion for riding and it doesn't matter what type or brand of bike they ride. If someone buys a cheap Chinese scooter because they can't afford something better but they ride it and and do what it takes to keep it going, they have my respect. If someone has the money to buy expensive and exotic bikes and they actually ride them, they have my respect ( and envy)

Someone who spends a lot of time putting down others because they have a certain type or brand of bike, has my pity. They obviously have some deep personal problems and insecurities.
  12. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Live To Ride

Oddometer:
    In the tread about the Suzuki 200 scooter, I posted a question to Jerry... not about the scooter, but in regards to his persona here.

It is post #27...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933348&page=2

No response. We all see ourselves a certain way. I think I'm pretty easy going most of the time. I rarely get twisted up if someone's ridiculous opinion doesn't align with mine. :evil In most debates, no one's mind gets changed, anyway. I was just curious to know how Jerry sees himself?

Before retiring, an acquaintance of mine was a competitor in the same business. He wound up "giving" me a lot of business unknowingly, just because of his arrogant, unpleasant attitude... and he had an opinion about everything. He seemed to "shoot himself in the foot" a lot, with his mouth causing him problems.

One time, while flying on the same plane to a national board meeting we were both attending, he was spouting off (seated next to me). I said to him, "You do know that you are coming across as a real asshole, don't you?" (OK, I'm easy going, but I do tend to call BS when it is spouted face-to-face.)

He was taken aback, and then said to me, "Love and hate are both strong emotions. I would rather have someone hate me than ignore me."

That simple statement said volumes about that guy. My response was, "It generally doesn't take more effort to just be nice."

He said, "I get things done."

I responded, "With a trail of angry people behind you. I get things done without alienating people."

He was OK with that. I think it makes daily life tougher for that person and those around him. I guess some people need that. I don't get it.

We all form opinions about things based on what information we have, hands-on or not. Most folks realize the value of an opinion formed with no hands-on, and choose to not state those opinions out loud (or in print)... well, at least until there is more information/experience.

My opinion is... I think I'll go for a ride. :lol3

Jim
  13. GREY.HOUND

GREY.HOUND Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About the new BMW scooters: I joined the google+ community and the BMW scooter forum to get some information because in the not too distant future I am pretty sure I am going to want a better ride for traveling.

It seems there is a disproportionate amount of issues with the new scooters relative to the number of members on the forum. What do I mean? Well it seems that every few threads there seems to be talk about a new "issue" with the bike. Sometimes it's another person with the same problem, others it's a new problem and people respond with "Oh, I have been having the same problem".

That being said most reports tell how amazing the bike is and how it's the best bike they've ever ridden or something to that affect. Like JerryH, my knowledge is hearsay, but it does appear that first gen BMW scooters are having teething problems.

I think I would regret not getting one if I really thought everything about it seemed perfect for me. Imagine spending a similar amount of money on your second choice knowing you could have had your first choice, always saying, "I should have.."

Sometimes internet forums can scare us out of making good choices.
  14. Rugby4life

Rugby4life Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got over 13k on my GT now and have had no "issues" with it other than killing 2 low beam bulbs so far. I'm pretty sure the first one got shaken to death on the flood heaved streets of New Orleans on a week long visit there. The second was a Sylvania silver star from the auto parts store that lasted about 7k miles. I've bought some extreme use off road bulbs and we'll see how long they last.

Now to the recommendation, if you are looking for a strictly scooter experience, this is not the bike for you. It doesn't have the waterbug agility of small scooters. It's not a "cheap and cheerful" run about. It is much more substantial and serious in nature. If, on the other hand, you are looking for the next level of maxi-scooter evolution, this is the one for you. It is just as comfortable on long slab runs (2k mile weekend) as my R1100RT was. It is also quite capable up a mountain road when you can really use the power to launch out of the corners, just be ready for the front wheel to loft coming out of hairpin corners. It is a middle weight sport touring bike with all the convenience of a scooter layout. The things I plan to change on mine will be:
    1. modify the seat for a little more square footage and a taller backrest
    2. a Malossi variator and Dr. Pulley sliders
    3. An Aeroflow windshield to smooth the airflow over the top at high speed
    4. an auxiliary fuel tank so I can do more than 180 highway miles at a time on 1k mile days.

Overall, I have been quite pleased with it and looking forward to my schedule freeing up so I can really start racking up the miles. I hope JerryH doesn't read this, he'll be so frustrated by all this meaningless practical experience.
  15. GREY.HOUND

GREY.HOUND Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly. It seems to be one heck of a scoot and thanks for your positive report, these scoots need more of it. Seems everyone who has one loves it. Please keep us updated.

Like I said somewhere in one of these BMW threads, it pretty much answers everything I would want in an upgraded bike.
  16. MichRocks

MichRocks Sunset Rider

Oddometer:
    :lurk

17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I have not ridden one of these but did get a chance to sit on both the sport and GT at a show last year. The sport seemed to have the best riding position of ANY maxi scooter, at least for me. My wife also liked the seating position on the back. We both agreed it was better than the 650 GT which had more of a feet forward, bars back position similar to other maxi scooters.

I still haven't seen a BMW scooter on the road.
  18. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I need to get to a BMW dealer!
  19. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was in the dealership yesterday and looked at the 650GT and the 600 Sport. The GT has better storage and more doodads on it. The Sport appeals to me more...manual windshield adjustment and a bit more sleek in design, although underway storage is compromised.

Given that the SWing is probably gone next year and I remain distrustful of the Burgman 650's transmission, the C600 Sport seems like a very good alternative for about the same money...
  20. BerndM

BerndM Shiftless One

Oddometer:
    I suppose if you don't mind having to replace the drive belt and chain EVERY 12000 miles (according to BMW's own Service Schedule), to the tune of about $2000+ (UGH), go right ahead :evil

That's why I bought a 2012 Burgman 650 Executive for less $$ and if you ride it sensibly, the belt can last 75000 miles (or even more for some).
    It IS expensive when it actually comes to replacing it though.
    A lot of guys will choose to part the bike out instead of replacing the belt, but by that time it is probably 10 years old and time for a new bike anyway. :D