Rick's Rendezvous 2013, May 15-19, Hampton, TN

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Cuttle, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Rabbot

Rabbot Life goals-Die with memories not dreams.

Oddometer:
    Be fun to ride with you. Lets plan on at least one day, Got a big bike and a small bike so I'm flexible.
  2. Hawk

Hawk Pretentious Fukwit!!

Oddometer:
    Do you still have the 525 I sold you? That was a fun bike.
  3. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:
    That'll give you something to do while you're waiting for the tow truck...:norton
  4. Rabbot

Rabbot Life goals-Die with memories not dreams.

Oddometer:
    Yep, I ride it more then any of the others. Got the 17's on it right now.
  5. Cuttle

Cuttle fuck the calm down

Oddometer:
    :photog
  6. Cigars&Scotch

Cigars&Scotch My eyes are up here Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not mine. My Airhead is indestructible, can't say the same for my buddies. He just got it back on the road today after his drive shaft blew up
  7. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    .....and here I was thinking that you must have made the switch to KTM! :lol3
  8. HappyRiding

HappyRiding Appalachian American lost up Nort

Oddometer:
    Lookinng forward to it.
  9. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:
    :baldy
  10. Cuttle

Oddometer:
    added a few more pics to the "Points of Interest for the RDV" thread

linky :deal
  11. OsoADV

OsoADV Oso

Oddometer:
    Planning to make it out for the first time this year. Looking forward to meeting you folks.

I'll be probably be hammock camping if it makes any difference. Save me a couple big 'uns.
  12. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm leaning more towards being able to make it. My daughters Graduation in May 21, so I can make the rally and then head over for her graduation.
  13. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    Anybody up for a scout ride on Sunday? Riding trails, steep & rocky if that's good for whoever responds, or "not so" steep & rocky if you'd rather explore trails and help me try "connect" a few trail systems between Mtn City & Watauga Lake.

I rode some today and the rain hasn't hurt the trails. Went up a creek/trail that I'd expected might be roaring after all the rain, but it wasn't bad at all. Also, I met some loggers who were fine with us riding there & even gave me directions....well, general directions anyway. :lol3 They said the "old trail" runs the entire ridge, but I'll need help finding it. Just shoot me a PM if Sunday's good.

Also, I went to the Mountain Trail Riders Assoc. meeting. They are planning a fundraiser on Saturday Sept 22 at Doe Mountain, with free tours of the trails & free hot dogs.
    Mountain City is planning to become "ATV friendly" like the Hatfield & McCoy area and is going to allow ATV (and I think dirt bikes) to ride throughout the town! Yeee Haw!!
  14. Cuttle

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update on the trail system :clap Sounds like we'll have plenty of area to "play" next May.

This weekend is a no-go for me, but a bunch of us are planning on camping at Black Bear next weekend (prolly Saturday 9/15 only).
    Come on by and join the :freaky
  15. Kyle B

Kyle B "Dirty Jobs"

Oddometer:
    Lost in the hills of SW VA/ Winter in SW Florida
    I guess I need to get on here and read before I take off to explore in my spare time on the weekends. Glenn, you ever hear of Iron Mountain Trail, between Shady Valley and Mountain City? Looks like it hasn't been used in years. I need to make a machete sheath for my DRZ. Easy way to clear the small stuff.
  16. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

I'd been eyeing Cross Mtn Road on googlemaps, but had'nt made it over there yet. The map can be misleading, things which "used to be" passable years ago appear on the map, but you can barely find them now, and sometimes they are gated or non-public now.

How far have you been down Iron Mtn Trail? I assume you entered from the Shady Valley side? Will bigger bikes be able to ride it after the machete work?

The weather looks perfect all week, maybe we can get a ride in later in the week?
  17. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    Cross Mountain Road is paved. Nice fun road, the old tar and chip stuff.

Every trail in Shady Valley is gated except for one trail to the east just below Backbone Rock. The park service does open some of the gates in the fall/winter for hunters (I'm assuming) but they don't go anywhere.

There is a fun little gravel road that runs on the west side of Iron Mountain from Bristol side of 421 up into Damascus. Starts out paved, though, across 421 from Little Jacob's Creek Road. The only other unpaved, non-gated road goes from about halfway up this road east over Iron Mountain and comes out in the big right hander at the bottom of the hill headed to Backbone Rock, right there at the bridge.
  18. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    "I hate gates"!!!:mulie
  19. ktmMike

ktmMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    All Right!!!
    It looks like you guys are really moving ahead with the scouting.:thumb
  20. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    I need to find more possible places to eat lunch(es). :dg You know, little greasy spoons that don't require riding into a traffic laden town....there's so many nice country roads that it would be great to have 'out of town' lunch stops too. Anybody have some spare anti-cholesterol pills they can send me while I scout? :lol3