XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I too would want a NEW engine. But if Honda only wants to rebuild the bad engine then I would request/ demand a factory extended warranty.
  2. Wattner

Wattner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have contact info on said rep? I think most, if not all of us here would bang out an email and assist in the cause....

I have had well over 35 Hondas and would be glad to voice an opinion!
  3. brothermosley

brothermosley Motorcycle Operator

Oddometer:
    anything less than a completely new, crated motor would not be acceptable.
  4. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Remember on this carb its a fuel screw not a air screw. Try it at 55/160 2 1/2 turns out. If you have mods you say you do. This should but real close to a good running bike. Ben
  5. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    For an engine that's been oil starved, it's gotta be a new engine.

An XRL is made to last a fair number of miles, would suck to have to replace the trans or such at 10,000 miles because it got no oil during break-in (that's a key point, this happened during break-in, parts are going to be scuffed or overheated).

It's 'nice' to hear the factory guys find it as easy as us yokels to kink the oil lines- haven't touched 'em myself yet but I hear you have to be very careful about that.

Dave
  6. doughy

doughy Less excitable then I used to be

Oddometer:

NOPE.... I have an airbox. The only thing I have done is.....

I took a stock filter and cut all the paper off it to creat a "FRAME" then I put a Twin Air filter over said frame.. The stock filter has that metal mesh inside it, and then with the twin filter should be adequete. RIght?!?!

I can't seem to figure it out. I'm going to pull the carb apart this week, but don't know what I am looking for. It's "daves modded" (of course). I just can't figure out the flat sputtering spot. I do find myself constantly adjusting my idle if that helps with any ideas.
  7. Wattner

Wattner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Doughy... I just installed a fresh motor and have had FITS with the new pumper carb. Turns out the manifold had a crack in it, causing popping and sporadic idle. I installed a new manifold and it has ALMOST gone away..
    Try spraying starter fluid very gently around the intake at idle and see if you get a variation in idle speed. If so, you may have the same situation

Hope this helps!!!
  8. doughy

Oddometer:

I'll try this, but should I have a craked intake on a 2008? I do have some good milage, 18500ks.... But I'll try anything. It would be nice to be running right again.

Thank you
  9. lasercustoms

lasercustoms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks !! I was wandering if the Maier guards would work (I like those:evil ). I can see how they would help in Alaska. I though about putting the stock ones over the bars but I don't wont to cut them up. I got plenty of other plastic to cut up first:lol3 .
  10. ravenranger

ravenranger rave

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if the 5.10x18 Kenda K270 will fit? Found one so cheap, it's almost worth trying....
  11. doughy

Oddometer:

YES.... it translates into about a 140/150

BUT you might need to take your chain guard off.. You know that stupid flismy thing... :lol3
    Edit: you will also have to put the tire on when it's flat because the discc brake guard might get in the way. Pump it up when it goes on the bike.

Laser, you still have the templates for the case guards?
  12. Dieselfool

Dieselfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm outta here. Traded the BRP in for a Berg 450. See-ya.
  13. McLeod

McLeod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gratz man... Keep us updated.
  14. Cumbacheech

Cumbacheech XRated

Oddometer:
    Dude,

Congrats on the new ride. You need to atleast post a pic of the bike...

Cumbacheech
  15. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That what I am running now. I did not have to remove anything. Kenda and shinko tires are a smaller than most. Ben
  16. ravenranger

ravenranger rave

Oddometer:
    How do you like the Kenda?
  17. jscompto

jscompto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of getting the stuff I wanted/needed off of it like the wheels so that i have a dirt/trail setup on my bike. Also, I could keep the CDI box since its always a good idea to have a spare. Just odds and ends stuff.

My older cousin is always bugging me to get another off road bike so that he and i can go off and ride, so i offered it to him and told him i would help him fix it since i damn near know these bikes inside out from all the shit i've done to mine, but he was unsure about it.

I think i'll make my final decision when i get back from my cross country trip i'm taking on friday. so, i'll let everyone know if i'm gonna part it out in a few weeks.
  18. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dangit Rockit, now I'm going to have to put an IMS on the DR so you don't have to carry a siphon tube for me.... :D
  19. Dieselfool

Dieselfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From this......

[​IMG]
    To this......
    [​IMG]
  20. neo_vulcan

neo_vulcan New Argonaut

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, I just did a upgrade to my bike. I installed FMF(Dynojet) Stage 1 jets, Q4 FMF exhaust, and UNI foam filter. I installed a 160 jet and left the pilot jet as is. I have the mixture screw at 2-3/4 turns out and it runs pretty good, at 2000ft. I am stuck slighlty though. The stage 1 kit is recommended for unmodified airboxes but dave's carb mods instructs you to cut the airbox. So do I modify the air box at all or leave it as is?:huh