Durability of Rev'It?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by matthelimech, Sep 26, 2010.

1. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    It's not just hydratex, most drop and z liners are this way. There are a couple of exceptions but even those should not be rubbed too hard.

Also, rubbed may not be the right word, scrubbed would hurt it.
  2. SixDays02

SixDays02 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, all garment, including all membranes (Goretex, Hydratex, Sympatex, *tex) are prone to rubbing/scrubbing/whatever. If you go to an out-door shop to buy a nice, waterproof jacket, the salesman should ask you if you want to use your jacket with a backpack and advise you about the strength of the jacket (light, medium or heavy backpacks) as it could damage the jacket while moving/hiking.

Regarding Rev-it membrane, (or any other membrane inside a motorcycle jacket), i don't see how you can destroy it with "rubbing" while sitting all day long on a motorcycle. :huh
  3. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Happened a little faster than I thought it would...
  4. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    EXACTLY, this is why so many of those outdoor garments have a smooth\slippery top and shoulders. So if you tell the sales guy that yes, you will use a backpack, he will direct you towards a jacket that has a backpack protector on it, such as this North Face Denali from Backcountry.com.
    [​IMG]

I think the warning was do not rub it while cleaning or washing it. Some people grab two flaps of a garment and scrub them together while cleaning, kinda like when you have a stain and you are trying to rub it out.
  5. usp45

usp45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just had 1 ordered today, getting it on Friday. I like Badgers posts and will support a company whos willing to stand behind a product. I will be testing this out all winter, starting with a ride to Fla in a couple weeks.
  6. totomoto

totomoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just have to add to the many posts about unraveling seams that I had the same issue on the inside of my collar and the protector pocket. Customer service was good, though, but my next jacket will definitely be something of higher quality even if it means spending more. Plus I don't like the fact that Rev'it switched to inferior and cheaper Knox protectors in many of their new jackets.
  7. mentalfloss

mentalfloss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My revit waterproof ADV style boots had the zipper break after a few months of fairly good use. REVZILLA (great guys) were super about replacing them free of charge. They even paid for shipping back the defective pair.
    I love the boots and at the price they get for them they better last. That is why I bought them!
    This second pair only have a few thousand miles on them. I will let you know how they shake out. the second pair already have kind of jammed on the track of the zipper once. I am zipping them up when not wearing them hoping that will help.
  8. BalancePoint

BalancePoint Regional idiot, formerly just local.

Oddometer:
    I can't attest to the durability yet by any means, but I just started wearing the Tornado pants and Turbine jacket, and man- it fits great, feels great, breathes great, and appears very well constructed. I'm pleased thus far.
  9. outsidein

outsidein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of the same pants and have the same issue. The inner insulation liner is also starting to unravel at the seams and they are no longer waterproof. The velcro at the cuff has separated from my Rev'It gloves after 3 months but the gloves themselves are still intact. My Olympia jacket has stood up much better.
  10. montanaman

montanaman Traveler

Oddometer:
    Funny how most times I pull the trigger and buy something I seem to find all the negative reviews :rofl Never fails.
    I found a close out Cayenne Pro for 320 bucks ( Dark green/grey) so I pulled the trigger. I get it tomorrow. I can send it back to Revzilla but seriously.. is this jacket that weak?
  11. kumakahn

kumakahn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought a brand new with tags pair of Rev'it Challenge pants. The waist snap came up the first day. I installed a new one. But, since then, I just don't trust them. If they pay that little attention to something that obvious, I can only imagine how much care they put into things less obvious, like stitch and thread quality. They do flow air nicely, but I'd sell them for $75 after the snap came off. Since then, I only buy BMW gear. It has some flaws also, and it costs more. But, I think it is generally better quality, and it looks nicer than the Aerostich or Motoport stuff. Their new stuff is the only gear I know of that actually takes knee protection seriously with those large, wrap-around knee protectors.
  12. kumakahn

kumakahn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would add that Revit does do a nice job with their liners. Unlike BMW, the bottom of the liner has a zipper, as well as the top. It makes the liner work much more like part of the pants. It doesn't get caught when removing your leg. That is an idea that I wish BMW would use, instead of the standard loop/snap arrangement that seems to always tie me up when I try to remove the pants.
  13. Hoologan

Hoologan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have loved my Rev'it Sand suit for the 2.5 years I've had it, but the truth is, it is destroyed now. Mostly my fault by melting holes in the knees from my XR650R pipe and catching the pant leg on my footpeg when kick starting and ripping the shit out of it, etc.

One thing that bugs me though is the locking "Vislon" zippers on the arms. They wore out months ago and won't lock, so they unzip themselves in the wind. I've been riding around with duct tape over the zippers and it makes me feel like a damn KLR owner. Also, ALL of the hook and loop is shot. The pockets hardly stay closed anymore. I was really hoping to get at least 5 years out of this gear for the money it cost me. It last half that.

I'm going to contact Rev'it to see how to go about having the arm zippers replaced so I can continue to wear the jacket around town, but the pants are getting shitcanned which is a damn shame, but they're just beyond repair.

I just ordered the Klim Badlands Pro :evil to replace the Rev'it suit. No more silly liners for me.
  14. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bought a revit horizon a little while ago when they went on close out. First heavy rain, I got some leakage in the left elbow. Now comes the warranty dance.

Just my luck. After waiting four years for them to get their act together, I was hoping to get some good fitting gear... But it doesn't look like it will work out.
  15. Black-Ops

Black-Ops The left one....

Oddometer:
    Port Douglas, Far North Queensland, Australia
    I have had a Cayenne Pro for around 4 years. I got the orange one and its has faded a bit but I like that. I used on a trip through Africa in 35 deg C heat, here in Tassie in the cold and rain and have never had a problem with it. All the stitching is fine, dosen't leak, the collar clip still works and all the velco is still sticking.

The water lining and the warm lining are both fine.

Ive done around 40.000km in it.

Love mine. Theres a positive response.:rofl
  16. christos12

christos12 n00b

Oddometer:
    I have an Off track jacket and a dakar trouser and after 5 1/2 years it is still ok... Except 3 buttons of rainproof inner liner, which you have to be carefull, when removing it from jacket!
  17. cbr600

cbr600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hate being that guy to necropost but I could not find another thread on this topic. It has been almost 10 years, anyone thinks quality has improved? I started with Rev'It about 2014. I call it one-two year gear. The mesh pants lacked a gusseted crotch and the stitching failed shortly after the 1 year warranty did. I recently patched them trying to revive them. My H2O gloves did not keep me particularly dry and were replaced under warranty. The new ones were not better. Since I don't learn, I purchased the Gore version. Those are less than a year old and have only used once. My mesh jacket has held up but it did not take long to look ancient (printed lettering peeling), and I only hand washed it in the spots that needed cleaning. I don't wear it often since is not effective on my ADV bike (in their favor, they recommended it for sport bikes) and I don't ride my R1 much any longer.

I see ton's of YouTube people wearing their gear. It certainly looks good. But I still wonder if it lasts better than my older models.
    levain likes this.
  18. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    I've had a lot of annoying issues with Rev'It over the years, but it's been kind of hit and miss. My Dominator jacket tore itself apart in the wash because the velcro cuffs would snag on the main body fabric when flapping around. I've had other jackets that the same thing happened with the waist adjusters - velcro on other parts of would rip it to shreds. My first pair of Poseidon pants, the crotch gusset and zipper completely tore off. My Sand 4 H2O gloves "sweat" the glue that binded the Hydratex fabric to the glove through to the inside of the glove, which made it constantly feel sticky inside.

But my warranty replacement Poseidons (which had updated armor, a midyear refresh that was not announced) were absolutely bomb proof for the ~4-ish years I had them. My Tornado 3/2 jacket/pants were fantastic for the few years I had them, and everyone seems to love the Sand apparel for all around use.

I think they do try to address issues, but they're very slow about it to update stuff and stop using things that just don't work (can you say collar adjuster?). That said, they did increase the warranty on all apparel to 2 years a few years ago. My biggest complaint is that they practically priced themselves out of the market a few years ago with astronomically high pricing on a lot of gear, but they've seem to realize the err of their ways and prices on high end gear are starting to come back to earth.
    levain, cblais19 and cbr600 like this.
  19. 2UpTight

2UpTight Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was an early adopter of the Sand suit when it first came out. I was initially disappointed. Within a year it developed a ratty look, the various logos printed on the jacket started to fade, and the cuff zippers just would not stay closed properly. But since, this rapid deterioration has stopped. And to this day, some 12 years later, it remains by far, the best fitting jacket I ever bought. Though not perfect, if a good fit is a priority, and/or you have a small/narrow body type, Rev It is still worth a look imho.
    cbr600 likes this.
  20. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know if I'm at the level of gushing about the gear, but it has definitely improved since I first tried them more than a decade ago. The bigger issues they had back then were poor seam allowances, with no finishing which would allow the seams to burst, and a loose weave of the fabric that would pill up in the velcro - they 've gotten a lot better about both, although their gloves seem to have a little bit of the seam issue.

I picked up a poseidon 2 set on clearance a while ago and the worst thing I can say about it is that it looks grungy.

Hydratex however, I think is still dogshit. For whatever reason they use 5,000-10,000 mmh2O rated fabrics (at least the last they published them) which can weep water during heavy enough rains. Hydratex is probably fine for lighter rains that most sane people would ride through, but if i'm paying the extra to make it wateproof and dealing with how hot they get, i'm riding through that toad strangler and that's not going to cut it.
    cbr600 likes this.