XM radio from Zumo 550 to Shuberth SRC, via Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by chromedome, Dec 2, 2010.

1. chromedome

chromedome Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Forgive me if this has been addressed here elsewhere, but I've searched and could not find it...

I have my Schuberth's SRC paired to my Zumo 550 successfully. Can I plug a BT dongle into the 550's cradle, pair that to the SRC, and get stereo from my 550's XM receiver?

I know the 550 doesn't support BT stereo on its own, but will the helmet "see" both the Zumo and the dongle at the same time? The SRC's manual says you can pair it to both a GPS and a phone at the same time, so I'm assuming it will, but I bet someone here has already tried it, eh?
  2. s72237

s72237 s72237

Oddometer:
    good question...anyone, Bueller?
  3. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    The SRC-System is a very nice helmet Bluetooth implementation for the Schuberth hats but it only supports connection of one Bluetooth device via the mobile channel. When the manual states it can connect to both a GPS device and a cell phone, it also states that the cell phone must be connected via the GPS device - as you would normally do with the zumo.

You can not do as you desire. Garmin did do it right with the zumo665 but I can understand the reluctance to update.
  4. xlcr

xlcr Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer:
    I'm sot seeing that on the web site. I see A2DP support. The 550 only supports HSP.

Beg/borrow/steal a phone with A2DP support and pair it to the Schuberth. If the phone shows "phone audio" and "music" as distinct selectable options, you can pair with a 550 and a dongle.

You may have to disable pairing between the Schuberth and the phone and route all of your calls through the 550. My Motorola headset "knows" the phone supports both protocols and initiates a 3-way pissing contest if I don't limit the connections.

Also, route all non-phone GPS/MP3/XM audio through the dongle. It transitions to driving instructions more cleanly and reduces battery consumption at the headset.
  5. chromedome

Oddometer:
    Okay, I have previously connected the iPhone 4 to the Zumo 550 via bluetooth, and answered/dialed called using the Zumo's touchscreen. I have the hockey puc antenna and listen to XM through the Zumo as well. Up till now, all of this audio has been routed through a StarCom1 hardwired to my helmet.

So, if I use the hardwired audio coming out of the Zumo (both nav and music outputs) and plug that into a BT dongle, pairing SRC to the dongle, I should have nav prompts, phone and XM/MP3 in stereo, right?

As stated above, I was a little dismayed that the SRC only allows BT connection to one device at a time. It's definitely the slickest, most streamlined helmet audio system I've found, but that's an annoying little inadequacy.
  6. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    I am getting XM, MP3, Phone and GPS prompts from a Zumo 550 by using a dongle (WiRevo D1000 plugged into Zumo output) to connect to an A2DP stereo headset via (Camos BTS 200 in my case). In order to do this I pair the Zumo first to the Camos headset, this takes care of GPS prompts and phone, and then pair the dongle to the headset (Camos permits two connections at same time) to get XM and MP3's to the headset. This double pairing may be an issue for you with the Schuberth device....I don't know.
  7. chromedome

Oddometer:
    Okay, I received my bluetooth dongle from Amazon today (Miccus BlueRidge). Now a new problem...

Anyone have any idea how to pair a BT dongle to the Schuberth SRC? Of course with the GPS, phone, etc. you have a display to look at to confirm pairing, enter a security code, etc. But with the dongle and the SRC, there's no display. The dongle and SRC's instructions basically say the same thing... "To pair xxx see instructions for the other device". Doh!

I'm sure this is the same process for the other Cardo products, and probably other BT helmet headsets. So, how do you make these things talk?
  8. xlcr

Oddometer:

BluBridge?

http://www.miccus.com/uploads/products/downloads/mini-jack%20manual%20out%20for%20web.pdf

http://www.schuberth.com/en/products/service/src-systemtm/faq.html

Now I see where they claim intercom plus one other input.

I would suggest just run every thing through the dongle and pushing incoming calls to voicemail. Set your cell as your home phone number in "favorites" on the Garmin. Then you can push "phone home" to retrieve messages and decide whether to stop and return the call.

9. chromedome

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's it, but it doesn't help... I've gone through the pairing process outlined in those instructions at least half a dozen times with no result in the SRC system...
  10. xlcr

Oddometer:
    Isn't there some PC control software for the SBC? Have you tried pairing the dongle while the PC is connected to the helmet?
  11. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    You are trying to pair two "slave" devices. The dongle you are using is configured as a Bluetooth "remote/headset" device. The SRC-System is a "Remote/Headset" device. In a Bluetooth world something has to be the "Master" or controlling device.

As I said in my first post, you can not do what you want to do with the zumo550 and a dongle.

Hope that helps.
  12. xlcr

Oddometer:

<s>He could pair a BluBridge Rx to the transmitter, patch it into the aux-in of the Schuberth, and pair the 550 directly to the helmet.

This would give him stereo, intercom, and full phone access - all wireless.

It might look like shit with the receiver taped to the back of the helmet, but it would make a great conversation starter wrt the superiority of German technology.

edit: After looking at the instructions, an audio connection requires their long proprietary cable. It would be easier to ditch the adapter and extend the 550 output to a convenient location and use a wired solution for stereo.</s>

Find an FM transmitter with decent output and tune the helmet radio to the transmitter. Pair the zumo to the helmet solely for phone use.
  13. chromedome

Oddometer:
    That's a great idea with the FM transmitter. Thanks!
  14. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    No, that BlueBridge is a BlueTooth Transmitter. I do agree that his helmet headset may not support 2 simultaneous connections, but there are other options. As for the SRC and the BlueBridge, it maybe that those two devices just won't pair. I've only skimmed through the documentation, and it definitely says the BlueBridge is a transmitter but maybe one of the devices uses 1234 while the other uses 0000 and since neither has a screen, you can't change that. It's just a fact that not all BT Devices like this will pair. Some do a lot better at it then others.

I have a 478 with no built in BT, but I do have XM radio going to the 3.5mm audio output. I recently started using this Scosche MINI Universal Bluetooth Transmitter IUBTT which I hook into my Garmin 478. That transmits the XM and GPS instruction via BT to my Jabra BT3030. (Surprisingly, the BT3030 will pair with 2 devices simultaneously and remember up to 8 connections). I plug in my favorite earphones (ER-6i) to the BT3030 and enjoy great quality music with no wires connecting me to my GPS. Plus with it being a dog tag design, its easy to wear around my neck out of the way. I do have the Scala Rider Q2 also (which doesn't do A2DP), but I just keep it synced to my cell phone. If I don't want to run my ER-6i headphones, I can run an audio cable from the BT3030 to the mp3 input jack on the Q2 and have the audio over the speakers and still not be tethered to my GPS by a cable.

My Dad actually started using a similar setup with his Zumo 550. He has a different BT transmitter (Can't remember the name), but he basically keeps it plugged into his Zumo 550 audio out port. He has the Scala Rider G4 which does do A2DP so he is able to broadcast the audio right to his head set speakers using that BT transmitter. He actually has the G4 synced with both the Zumo 550 for phone audio and the BT transmitter for XM audio at the same time, but if he gets a call, the audio from the BT transmitter is dropped and G4 has to be restarted to re-sync it back up again. I don't think the G4 actually is suppose to support 2 BT connections at one time but since the GPS uses one button to sync and the BT receiver another, you can get both, but it doesn't work very reliably.
  15. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    As I posted, you should be able to get BT from the 550 using a transmitter, you just might have got 2 devices that won't pair. There are a few different BT transmitters out there to try. That Scosche one I have is working pretty well.

I don't think you'll get as good as sound quality over the FM plus always having to worry about stronger stations breaking in. And if the SRC's FM radio sucks as bad as the Q2 does, you'll have a hard time even getting it pick up the FM frequency from one of those FM Transmitter's. If your SCR has an audio input like my Q2, you might be better using the setup I'm using with 2 different BT devices and then a cable running between the BT3030 and your SRC unit.
  16. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    I think this is the BT transmitter my Dad got. Seems to work fine? - http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Stereo-Adapter-Players/dp/B002DTRO9Q/ref=pd_sim_e_5
  17. xlcr

Oddometer:
    If the Schuberth had a 3.5mm audio in jack at the helmet that would be tempting. Having to use the proprietary cable, not so much.

My S705 SoundPilot does a shitty job of picking up most stations but an excellent job of picking up a Garmin 7200. (Though the Garmin does have a long antenna in the power cable.) Sound quality doesn't seem much different between FM or BT. Could always get a transmitter for your car cradle - if your car lacks aux-in - and try it with the helmet.

One advantage of the FM solution is that you don't need a splitter and/or 2nd transmitter for your passenger to listen in.
  18. skreminegul

skreminegul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Schuberth C3 helmet and I recently purchased a SRC from a fellow inmate. I have successfuly paired the SRC to my Zumo 550. I'm curious, has anyone successfully paired a Bluetooth transmitter that is attached to the Zumo 550 to the SRC so they could get GPS prompts and listen to XM in stereo?
    If so, which BT transmitter is compatible with the SRC?
    Also, does anyone know why I can get GPS prompts and listen to music from a memory card with my current setup but cannot listen to XM?

Thanks!
  19. chromedome

Oddometer:
    Derek, not to be a smartass, but you're asking exactly the same thing I was asking when I started the thread. Have you read it through?

So far, I have not found a BT dongle/adapter that will pair with the Schuberth SRC...
  20. skreminegul

skreminegul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No worries... I did read the thread. Your question wasnt answered to my satisfaction and since it was 3 months since your original post and over 2 months since the last post, I thought I would ask to see if anyone has accomplished this yet... I really want to listen to XM through the SRC.