The G650 GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by LarryGee, Jan 29, 2012.

1. reenmachine

reenmachine Rain or Shine

Oddometer:
    Third tank in a row with minor starting problems after fill-up. It turns over fast, but doesn't light. Same procedure as above and it fired up.

It's probably time to take it to the dealer for a look-see.
  2. renzo

renzo n00b

Oddometer:
    If I was you I would have it looked into because something isn't right w/ your bike. It has was 400 W alternator which should leave plenty of power left to run a jacket liner and a pair of gloves. As somebody else said ditch the wet cell battery because it will eventually cause you headaches.
  3. reenmachine

Oddometer:
    I think I'm turning into an advocate of swapping out the battery as well...

After a 20-mile trip this morning I killed the engine to pay for parking at a kiosk. Engine wouldn't start, and I didn't get too many chances before the battery was done. :baldy

I was able to push it into a nearby parking spot where it'll sit for the day. Hopefully it has the umph to start up cold this afternoon...

First time I've had any sort of reliability issues. :cry
  4. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    Pete, I complained to my dealer about the battery in my G650GS failing. He load tested the battery and it 'passed' so BMW would not authorize a replacement under warranty. The bike was about 6 months old. Rather than get stranded again (happened three times) I just bought a new battery from Batteries Plus...no more problems. For me the problem was not worth the fight that it would have taken to get a replacement from BMW, that would be just like the one that was failing.

Peter Y.
  5. reenmachine

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice -- I hear you loud & clear. My lifetime of experience with old cars taught me that the battery is one of those places where it's always worth spending the money for the best.
  6. Adventure MotoX

Adventure MotoX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates / Used to be Ottawa
    Got the new rubber. Thanks for all the shared advise.
    Have a look... K60 rear and TKC 80 front.

[​IMG]
  7. reenmachine

Oddometer:
    At the end of the day when everything was cold the bike started up at the first touch of the button.

What would cause it to not start when warm after a few minutes of heat soak?
  8. ctoldie

ctoldie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What luggage is on your bike?

Thanks
  9. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    There's a positive terminal under the seat you can use to jump start the bike. It's has a little plastic cover on it and is next to the fuse box.
  10. RogerWilco

RogerWilco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Our 2011 G650GS developed battery issues, would not hold a charge, within 4-5 months. I pulled it out of the bike (that was fun) and took it to the dealer. It was so swollen it could not be placed into their testing station. They just ordered me a new factory BMW battery and it is working fine.
    I would like to find a replacement battery of the sealed type, but have been unable to do so.
  11. matloik

matloik kludge

Oddometer:
    You guys with "battery" issues really need to search for the "hot start issue". The battery is a red herring. The battery gets sucked dry because it is stressed in turning over the engine against compression. A fresh, spunky battery "cures" the issue, for a while. The issue is a faulty decompression mechanism--an internal "decompression lever".

See the Sertao and 2011 G650GS threads; also see

http://www.f650.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?9864-G650GS-starting-issues/page65

where the issue, and resolution, have been discussed for quite some time.

I'm just hoping my wife's G650GS starts exhibiting these symptoms while it's in warranty.
    dbyker likes this.
  12. Adventure MotoX

Adventure MotoX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates / Used to be Ottawa
    Ctoldie - They are the BMW vario cases made for the 650.
    Cheers
  13. Outdoor_Girl

Outdoor_Girl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I started having these problems a few weeks back. I'll be cruising along about 3000-4000 RPMs, doesn't matter what gear, then all of a sudden the tach starts reading 7000-8000 RPMs, the warning light comes on, and then the engine starts cutting out for a second to lower the RPMs. It's a real pain...makes for a very jerky ride with the power cutting off and then surging back. Dealership opened a complaint with BMW but didn't get any info. They thought it might be the battery but my battery checked out fine. After reading everything on here I'm almost tempted to replace the battery anyways.
  14. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    Hummm, my '10 model went from a quick start (like maybe 1 revolution of the crank) to totally dead; three times. I never had a time when the starter was working hard. That's not to discount the 'decompression lever' issue but the OEM batteries have been an issue for at least 10 years, the lever...not so long. Full disclosure: I have upgraded the ground wire from battery to engine case because that is a critical part of the electrical system and appeared to me to be too small.
  15. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    Double check the ground connection at the battery and at the engine. I have seen those symptoms on other brands, frequently traced back to a loose ground.
  16. matloik

matloik kludge

Oddometer:
    Yes, agreed, the OEM battery is not the best. But those replacing it with a stronger battery should be aware that that stronger battery MAY be hiding an underlying issue that should get resolved, if in fact they are also experiencing the "hot start issue". Coincidentally my '08 KTM EXCR also has a known issue with a faulty decompression mechanism, that is on the cam. The '09 cam fixes this. I have not fixed this (yet), but am getting by for now with a better battery that has more oomph to get past compressed TDC. But kickstarting is very difficult--that is what your battery/starter is working against, and may be the reason an OEM battery degrades quicker--and then when you bring it into BMW they replace the battery because it tests bad.
  17. dazz

dazz I don't want a nickel....

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

So my old quad's battery went South. I wish I had a glass mat battery in the 2012 G650GS. I think they are the same size. New in the BMW, standard lead acid in the quad. OK idea? Can anyone suggest a particular make and model that is the correct fit for the BMW? I don't want a gel battery. I don't want the newest technology, Shoae? A sealed battery that does not need maintenance and will last a few years. Glass mat is what I think they are called. Make, model, size, source, etc.
    Thank you.
  18. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    Dazz, I believe that almost any battery will be better than the lead acid battery that comes with your bike. You will be limited by the space available for a replacement. As a start, take your battery out and measure it. That's the maximum size that will fit. Then shop for something that is no larger. I'd recommend a sealed battery. Glass mat is one choice. The Shori (sp) is much smaller but will give the same energy but a higher cost. It will also hold a charge for a very long time, maybe as long as a year. If you store your bike for a long time that might be important. I went with a gel cell because I can keep it on a charger when not in use.
  19. Evenflo76

Evenflo76 Cheap and Easy

Oddometer:
    The Shorai battery comes with foam padding that can be cut to size to fit the battery box.
    MOTOUSA did a review on their long term KLR.
    Search YouTube for "motousa klr" to see.
  20. dazz

dazz I don't want a nickel....

Oddometer:
    Sorry but I'm not buying into the Shorai yet. I hear it's not good in the cold. Gel batteries when they go bad do so very quick. A glass mat (AGM) is what I am searching for. Really I was asking if anyone had experience with one that fit properly. Odyssey, Westco or maybe even Yuasa make glass mat batteries. I wanted to rely on the experience of someone that really installed the battery rather than a size chart. I used Odyssey batteries in my airheads and liked them. They seemed to last long enough under my conditions. And of course the bigger, the better.