New (to Me) 2000 Kawasaki W650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by The Jerk, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Duelsporter

Duelsporter Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks. I was just at the Crossroads a week ago! (But not on the W650)
  2. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is nice--very nice. BTW, which windshield is on the bike?
  3. Duelsporter

Oddometer:
    It is a Dart flyscreen from England. They list it for the Triumph Bonneville, but it fits the W650 with some simple modification to the mounting brackets (grind off a tab on the bracket). Oh - and some longer headlight bucket bolts were required.
  4. ORexpat

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Duelsporter; just checked out their website and see that they now offer one specifically for the W800. Apparently uses a slightly different bracket that mounts on the top yoke . . . looks very good.
  5. hangdog

hangdog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a new-to-me 2001 W650, enjoying it... only had 4000 mi, but needs some basic maintenance.

I was going to replace the spark plugs, and read the various accounts of removing the tank.
    None of these instructions mention what happens if the tank has gas in it. Does it spill everywhere?
    Is there a method to prevent this?
    :kboom
  6. ORexpat

Oddometer:
    Naw, won't spill--if the vacuum petcock is working properly, you can just disconnect the fuel line from the carbs and pull the tank. I've not had any problems with doing this. Note: If the petcock is in the Prime position, it's a wide open valve and would spill fuel everywhere if you disconnected the hose.

But I've not heard of anyone having a vacuum petcock problem and didn't' already know it--so you should be fine to pull the tank.

BTW, the yahoo group files include a maintenance manual; I bought one from Kawasaki--either way, an indispensable reference for those like me who don't have a mechanical background . . . . . :1drink
  7. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Absolutely gorgeous!!

I always was jealous of the Canadians for getting that color combo. What are we, chopped liver, that we didn't get it here????

I tried to find that tank on US and Canadian Ebay, to no avail.

Now you have to bring up old wounds? :rofl

Is there a gold base under the red?
  8. zwish

zwish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a functioning link to the Captain Jake Needle Shim Mod? As the weather is starting to take a slightly chilly turn, the lean condition of my W is really starting to rear it's head. I've got the air mixture screws set to 3 turns out. I'll probably be increasing that a bit as well. After reading a few posts about how helpful the shim mod was, I think it's time to give that a go. The bike is taking a very long time to properly warm up. Thanks.
  9. Pigford

Pigford British

Oddometer:

Keep tap in the "ON" position - as it's vacuum it shouldn't leak.
    The 2 x little breather pipes under the r/hand side won't leak either - coz they're just breathers..... unless you've just brimmed the rank with fuel :wink:
  10. hangdog

hangdog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks. Was wondering, and it looks like a few of my upcoming projects with it will involve removing it.
    (Sparks, having a tank ding popped out, and prob the low bar mod.)
  11. Duelsporter

Oddometer:
    No, it just photographs that way for some reason. In person, the gold highlight is not even visible. The candy apple red has a silver base coat.

P.S. - I too tried to find a Canadian tank with these colors several times in the past. The guy who did the paint was extremely reasonable -- had I known of him sooner I would have had this done a long time ago.
  12. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Long story short, I was riding in upstate NY yesterday and was on a small town road which they had applied a layer of gravel over a paved surface, gravel the same color as the road.

Another inmate in front of me hit his brakes in a turn, went down. I touched my brakes to slow, instant lockup, and down too.

I was luckier than him in that I only rolled a few times, bruises, contusions, etc., but no breaks. Thankfully, I had been in an ATGATT condition, all the gear took a beating, including my helmet, but they did their job. He unfortunately sustained a broken leg when his Concours 14 fell on it.

My W which had been pristine, is pretty much trashed on the right side. Headlight assembly, turn signals, header pipe, and it ripped the foot peg from the frame among other things. Tank emblem scraped, and a small tank ding.

Question is, does anybody have any spare parts for the W, or know of a used source? I know if the dealer has any of these things, prices will be crazy. As a final point of misery, I had no collision insurance.

Any and all leads would be greatly appreciated. I raise my vicodin cocktail to you.
  13. ORexpat

Oddometer:
    Ouch!! My sympathies, and I'll certainly keep my eyes open!

Heal quickly!
  14. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speedo66,
    Ouch again! I know you are sick over the damage to your W but at least you came out kinda good. I will also keep my eye out for parts. There was a lot of used parts on Ebay from a parted out bike.
  15. The Jerk

The Jerk Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer:
    Noooooooooooooooooooooo

:cry

16. The Jerk

The Jerk Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer:
    In slightly better news, I got my W running on both cylinders again.

Took the carbs off, stripped 'em down, hosed 'em down with carb cleaner, put it all back together, and she's running good again.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vLLvBsKkrWI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(Idling a little low because it's off the choke and not warmed up yet)

Also took the opportunity to try again to put the 2nd short throttle cable on (from the low bar kit) and was able to make it work (barely) this time.

Also, check the back of your headlight shell where the wires come out. There's not any grommet (at least not on mine, anyone have a grommet there?) and some of the wires are beginning to rub through their insulation against the edge of the headlight shell. I added some layers of electrical tape to stop that action. If those wires rub through, all sorts of electrical gremlins will pop up. Might be worth checking yours.
  17. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    PM's sent to you for name of tank painter, I really need it now. :D
  18. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Here are a couple of photos of my W. CAUTION- May not be suitable for those who enjoy pristine bikes.

I've already bought a tank emblem, throttle cables, and a grab rail on Ebay. Hopefully get it to the dealer this week to determine if forks or frame are bent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Duelsporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry - I hadn't seen the PM's. I have replied now.:D
  20. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2001 does not have a grommet either. There is a plastic sheath around the wires but adding a grommet would be a good idea. I'll have to see if I can find a large enough one at the auto parts store. I'll have to cut it and super glue it in place.

Thanks for the tip and as you say it would cause all kinds if problems it the wires were worn through and shorted out.