Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. ducatirdr

ducatirdr Over 40 years riding on roads.

Oddometer:
    I had the same experience this past Saturday. I hunted for some access trails to some right of way locations that are frequented by quads and dirtbikes. I found the Tiger XC with the stock tires did MUCH better than expected. I had experienced the feeling of the front washing out a bunch of times on sections where its lack of traction had it pushing and then recovering like a champ. I even was gassing it through the whoops getting some wheelies over them and even getting a little air in some sections. It was so much fun I spent the whole day off road on it surprising myself at the hits it was handling in bony sections and on moderate hill climbs. The last trail I was on was really wet and I though I may have bitten off more than the bike could handle. The sun was starting to get low toward early evening and I muscled the bike out of the muck pushing it as I fed it some throttle. I got it free and decided to call it a day. Just as I pulled onto the street the rear tire went flat. I pulled over not 15 feet from the trail exit to find a big nail in my rear tire. I called a friend with a trailer...

I went home and ordered a TKC80 front and Heideneau rear for it.
  2. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    It's obvious (to us!!) that it's either an oversight on assembly or poor PDI. Probably both. I would hope that anything that has been damaged by this will be replaced FOC, including chain and sprockets.
  3. TxLoneRider

TxLoneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, I would also want to make sure there is a note on this on record. I, personally, would be reasonably worried about a premature failure of the counter shaft bearing, wheel bearings, or possibly even the engine castings.

Having the nut jam in the chain at the counter shaft sprockets could create large amounts of stress in the bearing and castings in the area ???

no??
  4. spewler

spewler Not (w)reckless

Oddometer:
    I can't say what caused my chain to derail around the 18,000 mile mark, but it punched a 1"x1" hole in my crankcase that I sealed with a 1" square piece of aluminum and JBWeld. I now have 36,000 miles on it without any leaking or reliability issues. I wish, however, that somebody would make a metal countersprocket cover that would prevent that from happening. The one from Touratech looks nice (http://www.touratech-usa.com/Advent...0-XC-Accessories-Now-Available-from-Touratech), but it doesn't protect the crankcase from a thrown chain, just from "outside" debris.
  5. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Same thing happened on my son's KTM, but it took out the slave clutch cylinder along with a piece of the case. $2300 later and asking about a guard/cover to prevent that. Oh yeah we sell those, $33! grrrrrr
  6. riverman

riverman Life is great !

Oddometer:
  7. spewler

spewler Not (w)reckless

Oddometer:
    Thanks riverman!
  8. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    If you get in touch with that guy: I'd take one, too. Had one for the WR and really liked the quality of that whole assembly.
  9. spewler

spewler Not (w)reckless

Oddometer:
    The manufacturer has had several requests already. His biggest problem is he doesn't have a Tiger to work with. He said he'll look into it, but made no promises.
  10. woodys3b

woodys3b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do any of the after market exhaust systems do this? I can't bring myself to do hard luggage that makes my bike almost as wide as a car. Seems like a world of options open up if that muffler was relocated. BTW, I'm not into loud.
  11. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    No low pipes. And all of the aftermarket cans are within an inch or so in width of the stock one.

Even the wide luggage systems aren't much wider than the bars. The XC bars are 36-1/2", and even the widest of the wide luggage are about another inch and a half on each side. It's kind of a non-issue.

For soft laggage the Wolfman setups are one of the best. Other soft bags can be adapted to the various rack systems offered.

Sorry, this really needs to go in the pannier thread.

Bottom line? Don't make it too complicated. :deal
  12. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    No, they are not. I know at least two that are MUCH closer in than the OEM exhaust.

I have a Fuel Midi in Stainless Steel on my 800:

[​IMG]

This is with the Jesse racks pulled in about an inch already and there would be enough space for another 1.5 to 2 inches. I was initially planning on setting up a Touratech 2x38L balanced system with that exhaust, but then backed out because of overall pricing vs. space. Would have worked though and when buying the racks/cases directly from Germany they aren't as crazy expensive as they are in the US, even including shipping.

Then there is the Zard. Check out this:

http://www.tigerhome.de/index.php?showtopic=13328&view=findpost&p=213970

Photo from that post directly here:

[​IMG]

According to the guy who made the modification above, the system is 38.5" wide. When you use narrower cases (the Traxx are 11" each) you can safe about another 4 to 6 inches or so.
  13. browneye

Oddometer:
    Good info there Cug. I like the bottom one there, only with narrower cases. Problem is I can't understand a word they're sayin'! :D

Something the same or less width than the bars would be ideal in my mind. And strong enough to survive a tip over.
  14. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    It's a Zard Penta exhaust and the rack is a home-optimized rack system.

I can translate if you want to know anything in particular.

My system (the Jesse setup seen above) is one inch wider than the handguards at the widest point if I recall correctly. I think my Roadie is ~36" at the handguards and the Jesse luggage is 37". Might be half an inch off or so.
  15. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    So I finally got round to fitting my Oxford heated grips and I'm trying to find some inspiration on where to fit the controller. The little bracket that comes with the grips is not doing it for me. Anybody fitted these grips and if so, where did you fit the controller - pics would be great.

Cheers
    :freaky
  16. browneye

Oddometer:
    That's a nice looking exhaust. Isn't 500 euro about $750 USD???
  17. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    $643 right now, and German pricing always includes 19% sales tax. Nevertheless, price was one of the reasons I wasn't interested in the Zard. I also found it ugly.

I paid $260 for the Fuel exhaust, including shipping from England.
  18. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Did anybody replace that flimsy OEM horn with something more attention grabbing?

Somehow I feel embarrassed when I use the OEM horn and hear my wife over the intercom just say "meow meow - little baby tiger wants to get your attention, please look down and don't step on me" ... :lol3
  19. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sterbel Nautilus. Mine's mounted split from the compressor. Sounder lives in the tail next to the indicator relay and the compressor lives forward of the cross spar in the pillion underseat storage.
  20. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    On my Scram, I straightened out the bracket and mounted it on the mirror clamp.
    [​IMG]

Now, on the 800, I've put it on the end of the Renthal cross brace.
    [​IMG]