Subaru Forester tires?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Duckworth, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    I know a bunch of you also drive Subarus, so I could use some advice on some all-season tires. It's a 2003 Forester. Money is tight and I'd like to get away under $500.
  2. Pro_Marinero

Pro_Marinero Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer:
    If you've got a tight budget figure out what sizes will reasonably work using an upsize calculator. Once you have your size range start scanning craigslist for a mildly used set. "All-season" is relative. What are your winters like?
  3. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    CL is a good idea - thanks.

Typical Southern New England winters, which means usually sloppy/wet with the occasional snow or ice storm.

I was under the impression that Soobs took only certain types of tires due to AWD, or is it only important that they all match (and are the proper size)?
  4. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Not sure if Impreza Outback uses the same size, but I have a one year old set of Nokia snows on aluminum rims. Sold the Subaru and the new car takes a different size. Was just getting ready to put them on CL for $300.
  5. Duckworth

Oddometer:
    Okay, so Boondox and I are trying to work out a deal. Does anybody know if 225/60 r16 tires on Outback rims will fit an 03 Forester okay? They seem a bit wider.
  6. Dexter!

Dexter! Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. stumpy-ktm

stumpy-ktm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i have had dozens of subarus ....what size does the forester come with ? ov er here its 15 inch or 16 inch... some add the 17s .... most of the time its 205 55 15 ..... or 205 60 16 ..... most 14 inch rims are 195 65 14 . .....
  8. Pro_Marinero

Pro_Marinero Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer:
    It's the only place I buy tires anymore. Just check the dates on the ones you look at. You don't want to buy a set that's been mouldering away in someone's garage since the Clinton administration.
  9. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Money tight? go eBay
  10. elementalg20

elementalg20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too have had good luck on CL, also had bad luck. Make sure they can give you specifics before you go up. I found one "matched set of 4" that was two entirely different brands, and one set that was 40% tread....not great to begin with but the edges weren't too far from showing cords.....

Discount tire runs some good deals once in a while, the 225/75-16 I was going to buy was going to be $375 minus a $50 mail in rebate on some yokohama's, not bad for new rubber. I got my 225/60-16 big-o premium touring tires for my outback for $150 and they probably had less than 5k miles on them!
  11. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. tire joe

tire joe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2156016 is stock size, 2256016 first oversize should fit with no problems.
  13. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    Goodrich AT-KO All Terrain.
  14. ktrout01

ktrout01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can do a set of four new all-season tires from tirerack.com and pick them up at the warehouse in Windsor Locks. I got a set of Blizzak snows mounted on black steel rims for $700.

2003 Forester 2.5X with a case of the uglies.
  15. Mangle

Mangle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know what to tell you, I run motorcycle tires on all my cars.

Just kidding, just kidding.

In all seriousness, it is pretty hard to beat the cheap tires at Walmart. With my high-mileage hulks the tires would last longer than the cars.
  16. KungPaoDog

KungPaoDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or try a local tire shop. My friend stopped in to get his tires balanced on his beater truck as he was trying to hunt down a death wobble that came up after he did wheel bearings. The guy at the local Discount Tire said "I'll balance those old tires, but I've got a set of 50% tread take-offs that will run you $100 for a balance and mount." Not $100 each, but $100 for all 4. Sold.