Onboard aluminum tool box for 1200GS/A

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Advdave, Sep 16, 2011.

1. LVGS

LVGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  2. Englishmatt

Englishmatt Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. SantaRosa

SantaRosa I'd rather be lost

Oddometer:
    AdvDave I have a request to build one that will strap to the Pillion where the rear and front rack bolt on. Maybe simple fix idea to meet any style of rack design. What do you think? I'm willing to buy one if you want to give it a try. That might be perfect for both Vario, Micatech and Jesse. PM me if you want to try this out.

Also you might conceder some kind of splash fender under it that will keep all that spray away from the rider and the tools. Maybe it's too much but seems like a logical evolution of the tool box.

I really can see this as being the must have box of the year. Ya' need to name it. AdvDave Box or Adv Box or maybe iToolBox 2 :D
  4. Advdave

Advdave jubilado

Oddometer:
    I've got enough people wanting these things right now that I'll be busy for a while building the 'standard' box.

As for a name for the box, it was 'hobby' but it's turning into 'work'...but so far, going ok. I should have a few to mail the the first names on the list next week sometime. More aluminum is on order.
  5. omeier

omeier Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just picked up my box at Dave's saturday. Looks great, and solid construction.
    Thanks for the install Dave!

For others asking him to modify it to fit other racks. While it's possible, it would take a fair amount of work as the box is optimized for the GS with the adventure case mounts. the box dimensions and shape, along with the mounting scheme are all optimized for the adventure rack...

Great guy! Good luck with catching up with the backlog Dave.
  6. _Harry_

_Harry_ Redneck Emeritus

Oddometer:
    Aw, heck. Just when I think I'm done farkling the GSA, something like this shows up :shog

PM Sent. Put me on the list. :wink:
  7. joints4sale

joints4sale No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer:
    Got mine yesterday. Looks great, I'll post some pics when I get a chance to install it.

Thanks Dave
  8. Advdave

Advdave jubilado

Oddometer:
    Slowin' it down here Boss.

I'm working my way through the list of those who have ordered a box. Beyond those, I'm not building any more to order right now. I may make a few more this winter, so if you're interested I'll put you on a waiting list and let you know if/when I have a few more available.

I really appreciate the positive response and comments. Email me if you want on the standby list: drpochoa at gmail dot com
  9. PanhandleChuck

PanhandleChuck 3rdRockAdvRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave, box arrived and installed. .:D

Attached Files:

10. Advdave

Advdave jubilado

Oddometer:
    Looks good. Keep an eye on the clearance between the crud catcher arm and the box. Mine was close, before I took the catcher off (it won't survive a really bumpy, washboard road for very long). I narrowed the box a bit, but some were the original wider version. It worked ok, but it was close. Nice bike!
  11. Advdave

Advdave jubilado

Oddometer:
    I've got another R1200GS/A toolbox done and ready if anyone is interested, let me know.
    Box is $120, paypal fee is $4, shipping is $15, so bottom line is $139 shipped in USA.

Mounts are set up for OEM pannier frames.

[​IMG]
  12. 3Putt

3Putt Long timer

Oddometer:
    PM sent, I'll take it.
  13. Advdave

Advdave jubilado

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Tom, in the mail on Monday.

I have one more that'll be done on Monday if there's any more interest.
  14. 3Putt

3Putt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I installed this the other day. It's the cats ass! Holds a lot more than I thought it would. Air pump, tire repair kit, tools, I just keep cramming stuff in there. Love the big wide door that it opens from the side.
  15. Advdave

Advdave jubilado

Oddometer:
    Know what you mean...here's the stuff I have in the tool box:

[​IMG]
  16. HD Steve

HD Steve Nonposer in Training Supporter

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  17. HunSolo

HunSolo Mad Monk Supporter

Oddometer:
    PM sent.
  18. ewbutler

ewbutler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  19. HD Steve

HD Steve Nonposer in Training Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks Dave. Got it today as promised. Looking forward to the install. Thanks for the instructions.
  20. Advdave

Advdave jubilado

Oddometer:
    I wondered about that other box's clearance. The tolerances are fairly close. On mine, I've cut the corner off to add room for the brake bleeder. It's worth watching to make sure it clears, but mine is working fine. I rode 2600 miles on the Continental Divide Route last summer and the box is still attached as solid as when it started. For mounting the top, I'm using a 1/2" conduit clamp (painted black on this installation) attached with a 1/4" stainless steel bolt with a flat washer and nyloc nut inside the box. The bolt goes through the box edge that's double thickness and so far, seems to be holding up just fine. Lower mounts have changed a bit, instead of 2 separate tabs on the box, I have started using one full width piece that's incorporated into the box and riveted on the bottom with L brackets and on the face with all the rivets in the lower part of the hinge as well (see post #31 pic).

[​IMG]

Here you can see the area given up for the brake bleeder clearance.

Tolerances for clearance to the crud catcher are close too, although usually the crud catcher will shear it's own mounting bolts and fall off with sustained bumpy riding, so I just removed it.

[​IMG]