Dog owners: What dog food do you feed them?

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by BHW, Jan 29, 2013.

1. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been feeding my dog Taste of the Wild for the last year or so now. I used to also have a boxer, and my boxer was a very picky eater. I started feeding him whatever crap the pet store sent me home with. Iams I think. He simply wasn't eating it. He wasn't putting on weight and just didn't seem to care for it. I then made the switch to Taste of the Wild and haven't looked back. He loved it. He would scarf it right up, which he never did before. He no longer had the constant terrible gas, and his coat became much softer and healthier feeling. Switching from the crap bulk pet feed to a quality dog food really made a world of difference.

My boxer died. When I got my Olde English Bulldogge I fed him TOTW from the get go. He was a rescue and was fed 'Ol Roy (I think was the name of that 'food'). Within about two weeks of getting him, his coat looked a hundred times better and his noxious gas was cut way down. To be fair, his gas could have been caused by the sudden change from his old dog food to TOTW. I didn't buy 'Ol Roy just to ween him off of it. I just immediately made the switch.

Bottom line, I can't recommend a real quality dog food highly enough.
  2. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    So as long as he runs a lot I can feed him propylene glycol,phosphoric acid,glyceryl monostearate and titanium dioxide?

I don't think so. I don't treat my friends that way.
  3. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    :nod

This serves the old saying "you are what you eat". I don't give a fuck how much the dog gets to run, they are still composed of whatever they ingest. Their lives are already too short and I care about them way too much to feed them anything less than the highest quality food.
  4. Nico

Nico ruff

Oddometer:
    Okay, so on the subject of dog food/what they are eating, how the hell can I get our new rescue to stop eating his own crap? His regular diet consists of Blue Buffalo Wilderness adult duck recipe, dry. He was eating Newman's Own organics when we got him from the rescue group and we weened him over a couple weeks. He gets fed three times a day, about 1 cup per serving. He's a 43-ish pound poodle mix.

[​IMG]
  5. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    Dogs often eat their own crap because they have nutritional deficiencies. With a good diet this may go away on its own as your dog 'fills' its body stores of whatever vitamin/mineral it may have been lacking prior to your rescue. There are a ton of other reasons why they do it, to include that some dogs just like to eat their own crap. :lol3

I'd give it a few weeks and see if it goes away. If it doesn't, ask your vet.
  6. Nico

Nico ruff

Oddometer:
    The vet's response during the initial post-adoption visit: "I'd love to have a dog that cleaned up after himself." :huh

I'm hoping it subsides in a few weeks. We'll see.
  7. seuadr

seuadr Wee-stromer

Oddometer:
    it's the circle of LIIFFFFFEEEEEEE :rofl
  8. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine have always been fond of deer pellets, left in the yard. They've been known to sniff out goose poop too!
  9. dfwscotty

dfwscotty Long timer

Oddometer:
    The vet can give you some stuff to sprinkle on their food. It worked for our dogs.
  10. Nico

Nico ruff

Oddometer:
    I've heard this but cannot get my head around anything making shit taste worse than it must already. :dunno
  11. Big Bird 928

Big Bird 928 Long timer

Oddometer:

You know how sometimes you fart and there is that awkward pause before you realize it didn't smell that bad, then there are those times that make you gag and vacate the room before you pass out? the process of the digestion is the same, it is just the ingredients that change the outcome. The stuff they sprinkle on the food is kindof like that except taste rather than smell.
  12. Nico

Nico ruff

Oddometer:
    I'm betting my plan will be more effective, and raucously fun.

This...

[​IMG]

plus one of these...

[​IMG]

every time he so much as leans into a loaf. Problem solved.

not really
  13. Big Bird 928

Big Bird 928 Long timer

Oddometer:

Yeah, I don't see that working with mine. I take her with me shooting, she will sleep 5 feet from me on the range while I am sending rounds down range... :D
  14. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    In that case, you've got to change your tactics...

[​IMG]

and a little

[​IMG]

:lol3:lol3:lol3
  15. Nico

Nico ruff

Oddometer:
    :lol3

My poor buddy scares at the clap of a hand. I fear he was abused by his prior human, but that's really a whole other thread. I'm working hard to convince him he's safe here and has no fear of harm.
  16. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    We use food from a well known grocery store chain known for its $2 wine.

The wife unit did a fair amount of research on the topic.

The dog tolerates the food very well. He's a 10 year old border collie flat coat cross.
    He gets a clean bill of health. And we can get his food when we are on the road, on Sundays.
  17. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ Trader Joes?

Which food?
  18. doxiedog

doxiedog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine is the dish washer,and a 1/2 cup of "one beyond"= 20 lb doxie!
    Not even 3 yrs old yet,and NOT fat,pretty sure there's 7 lbs. of fur.!
  19. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am still in the process of switching my dog from the bag of Iams Simple and Natural to Taste of the Wild Bison and Venison. I've been giving him a half and half mixture, trying to finish off the Iams. They got fed "whatever" in the shelter, and he's probably on his 3rd or 4th food in 2-3 months...so I doubt he's sensitive to changes. But he really seems to enjoy the TotW more than the Iams. And his gas has already decreased! He used to fart non-stop. I haven't noticed it in a while, but he's burping more now! At least those don't smell as bad! :lol3
  20. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    The chicken and rice food and the peanut butter treats.
    At least the food is better then the 2 buck chuck.