Possible May Ride/Camp Out?

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by Canuman, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    If there is interest in it, we have a leader for a small-bike hard-core technical ride. My friend Big E (not an inmate here) has a 100+ mile loop that he's offered to lead. He doesn't suggest anything much bigger than a 400 or 450. Rocks, mud, single-track, powerlines, and class 4 roads make up the route. There is a sand pit along the way for those who miss the desert, which is suited to hucking all sorts of idiotic acrobatics.

Evan is a mechanic and one of the more experienced trail riders around these parts. He highly recommends a small front sprocket for the terrain. If people are riding in on street gearing, he may be able to help out with impact wrenches and such to swap to more dirt-oriented gearing Saturday morning. Bring all the parts you will need.

This route will demand aggressive tires. No Tourances, Distanzias, or the like. The tire should look and hook like a knobby.

Evan is very good about keeping a group together. He won't abandon you if you're stuck in a mud hole somewhere. That being said, everyone should have appropriate tools and spares on hand. Some areas can be very difficult to access by anything but a bike or by foot.
  2. TuortoAM

TuortoAM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Long Island, Adventure Riding Capital of the World
    I am giving this some serious thought... will pm you for details after I check the calendar....

Um, just did... Sunday is Mothers Day, not married anymore, but that may impact attendance for others... just a heads up...
  3. NJGreg

NJGreg 8UP

Oddometer:
    sounds interesting, if theres enough strictly street riders gonna show. (krs here)

any lodging nearby? dont think the girl will be to pleased sharing a portapotty with you ff's
  4. loph917

loph917 Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    that weekend is free so far and i'd like to get back to vt for some riding. would probably strap the 570 onto the back of the vehicle - so if i make this it would be 'little' bike for me.

the last time i rode in vt (which was right after irene) we made 9 miles. it was a seriously fun 9 miles! lots of water! it wasn't fun to see the devastation that was left in her wake. sort of a dichotomy.

swimming was optional but some did it; unwittingly!
    [​IMG]
  5. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I think we may be able to scrape together a road bike or two. Mr. Bob (not yet an inmate) is interested. F800S, and he certainly won't want to get it dirty. A couple of other locals are on street wheels ranging from Jap Scrap to BMWs to Harleys. Fairly sure that we could put together a respectable showing.

Your best bet for motels is in Lyndonville, if you are on a budget. There's at least four. The Lynburke Motel (802) 626-5124 is popular with the snowmobile crowd in the winter, and motorcyclists in the summer. About 12 miles away. Good diner (The Miss Lyndonville) nearby, plus about seven other places ranging from sandwiches to pizza to Chinese.

If you are looking for upscale, I'd recommend The Village Inn in East Burke, VT, The Wildflower Inn, also in East Burke, or the Willoughvale Inn in Westmore. They are all quite good, in scenic locations, and have restaurants on premises or nearby.
  6. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Pretty Certain:

Canuman* VT KLR650
    Big E VT KLR250
    Mr. Bob VT F800S
    Therrin VT DRZ400
    VT-Stromer* VT DL650
    Cromoth* MA Christini
    Sailer* MA Something German
    Loph 917* NJ Blue and Mean
    BBQer* MA German, Ja,
    Pfunk* CT KLR sis-fitty
    Doc VT Potato Potato Shiny Thing
    Mrs. Doc VT Potato Potato Shiny Thing
    Barbsironbutt*VT K75S
    SixtyAte* NH NX125
    McDuff^ RI KLX300
    akarob* CT Dual-Sport Something
    Ryan M VT Former MX racer coming out of retirement. Likely on something nasty.
    Cattledog1969* MA KTM EXC525
    Dirt Missile* VT KTM300
    Baiku* NH WR250R

Working out details, but we'll beat them without mercy if they don't show for at least a day:

Scotty B VT KLX250
    Peter C VT DRZ400
    Marie C VT Kawly-Davidson Cruiser Thingy
    Jim N VT Potato Potato Shiny Thing
    Sylvia P VT Potato Potato Shiny Thing
    Border Rich VT Very Shiny Potato Potato Thing
    Cap'n Jay RI GS1200A
    alcontrast* CT F650GS

*inmates
  7. alcontrast

alcontrast at least I'm trying

Oddometer:
    as of now you can put me down for:

"Working out details, but we'll beat them without mercy if they don't show for at least a day:"

assuming I make it up there I'll be on an F650GS most likely, riding up.. Unless I feel ballsy and want to trailer up the DRZ400s and attempt the single track ride..
  8. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I worked up the routes for both the dual-sport ride and two versions of the road ride.

Dual-sport route looks like this:

[​IMG]

It's primarily gravel, with some scenic sections of pavement. I will pre-run this before the ride to make sure things are kosher and all the gates are open. It should be big-bike friendly, with a few sections that may require a little low gear-crawling. Some sections on class 4 roads may have to be rerouted if things are particularly wet. There is a short extension up to Dixville Notch that is optional. Although the road is paved, it's a fantastic ride.

A little over 205 miles through some very pretty and wild country.

I did the road ride in two sections. The first is a loop of about 230 miles through northern Vermont and New Hampshire. This is scenic, wild country with some of the best views I could find and some very tasty twisties. Expect plenty of lakes, rivers, a spectacular notch in the mountains and a waterfall or two. The first portion (left loop) makes a good day at a leisurely pace. The extension (right loop) adds another 100 miles up though the Rangeley Lakes of Maine, returning through Grafton Notch. This is a good day for quicker riders who get on the road early. It's a pretty full day. Be aware, this is moose season in moose country. Warp nine, particularly in the early morning or evening can be inadvisable.

[​IMG]

I'll post three GPX files soon.

The "down and dirty" small bike will not have a prepared map. Evan is not a GPS guy, and he feels that it's better to keep the group together rather than having riders spread out all over the place. You are of course welcome to log your own tracks.
  9. Canuman

Oddometer:
    The GPX tracks are ready. The easiest way to handle this would be to PM me with an email, and I'll send the files as an attachment.
  10. beemerjim

beemerjim Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just saw this thread. This looks like some of the best riding in the northeast. I'm gonna have to check and see if I can put my life on hold for a weekend. Jim .
  11. sailer

sailer trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer:
    fire wood, roster sheet, maps, GPS files, Guided tours, all with a money back gauranty

how can you go wrong :deal
  12. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Just to get people's juices flowing, here's some pics of places on the rides:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. BBQer

BBQer Who Me

Oddometer:
    Following this with great interest, the boss is having some kind of something that weekend (Tupperware party with no plastic) so it would be smart of me to vacate the place for the weekend.
    I guess that's a semi-firm commitment, as long as ya have space for another tent.
    About time to visit the Cow palace for an elk burger anyway.
  14. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I think that about 100 tents would be the limit -- we'll run out of naked hippies at that point.

Y'all come.
  15. Canuman

Oddometer:
    New update: if we have enough interest, inmate Barbsironbutt has offered to cater Sunday breakfast. She's got a spankin' catering cart with a griddle, grill, umbrella, and the lot. Likely be breakfast sandwiches of some sort, coffee, and cheerful service. I don't have pictures of the cart, but here's Ms. B on her K75S at Rangeley Overlook (a stop on the road loop.)

[​IMG]
  16. p_funk

p_funk Patfunk

Oddometer:
    In. Also, I can confirm that there's a pretty good chance this man isn't a serial killer...or I'm not his type - either one. I stayed with him last November for a night and was met with nothing but hospitality and delicious food. Good chance I'll be puttering around the area the week before if anyone wants to try and make plans.
  17. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Catering cart??? Count me in!.....as soon as I find a local with a trailer....anyone?
  18. barbsironbutt

barbsironbutt Bungee Rancher

Oddometer:
    All right, already, no beatings for me. It will be fun cooking for a crowd and the ride will be good training for the two-up Wyoming trip :)
  19. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Just to note, if anyone needs/wants to arrive early or depart late, even by several days, that would be no problem. Plenty of space.
  20. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I've been told it's de rigeur to offer a sticker, patch, or something else on these rides. OK, it's now the 2012 RedNEK Rendezvous. The one found most for the region looks like this:

[​IMG]

Now, we could have a custom sticker made up. That could take years and cost thousands of lives. I can lay in a stock of these, and a few Sharpies. Folks will be aware you've been to the New Woodstock.