Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:

Im pretty sure this was addressed a ways back. No correlation.
  2. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Incidently, my bike is a "staller. But yesterday, after a 250 mile ride, with a few stops where I turned the engine off (fuel, and lunch) and stops for red lights, photographs, etc. with the engine on, the bike did not stall once. It now has close to 3,000 miles.

My bike used to stall ONLY hen the engine was warm (normal operating temperature), after an idling period, or after I turned the engine off (for fuel, or for a photo op, or something like that) and turned it back on in about 5-10 minutes. It always stalled on the "blip the throttle" scenario.

Only one time it stalled in between gears (going from 2 to 1, and I was blipping the throttle at that time), and only one time it had that stall where the engine really did not want to run and was difficult to re-start. The last two scenarios, I repeat, occurred only once each in the 3,000 miles.

I have refused to get my bike to the dealers until I hear in official version from Triumph. But for now, based on yesterday's ride, I will consider it solved.

I always use 92 octane (American calculation method).

Lion
  3. SierraADV

SierraADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Took a nice ride from my place in the Bay Area down to Big Sur over the weekend. I hit some crazy traffic on Highway 1, but had a great time venturing out on the dirt roads. I really love this bike, I just wish I did not wait until I was 40 to take up the sport and get my first road bike. The weather and views were great, but too hot for my nice Triumph Adventure riding gear. My Rev'it ES Air mesh riding gear set is awesome, great ventilation & protection, quality stuff! I love that I can wear my motocross boots with this bike, makes me feel at home...

About 1,500 miles on the bike now.

POV video coming shortly, here are some highlights from the ride:

The old coast road:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Only when the engine was small? :ear Does yours have a big bore kit?:D
  5. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Sierra and welcome to the forum.
    A lot of coastal fog creeping over the hills. I remember that being at 55F :eek1 and when I turned in land, 30 miles later it was 95F :lol3.
  6. Lion BR

Oddometer:
    WTF did I write? :rofl
    Meant "warm" as in normal operating temperature.
  7. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    May I ask which dirt roads? There aren't too many that can legally be ridding in the Bay Area or close by that I know of. We've played around Mt. Madonna and took Summit Road one time (it's a private road - so we were looking for a property to buy there ... :deal). And actually - I'd love to have a property up there, so it isn't even a full excuse ...
  8. Lion BR

Oddometer:
    Great! Last month I did a 1,400 trip on Hwy 101 and Hwy 1 on my Tiger 800XC. My next goal is go south of San Francisco all the way to Big Sur.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. SierraADV

SierraADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're right, from what I'm learning there are not many dirt roads in the bay area. Everything seems to be private land and has a fence or gate. I did some research online last week and it appears the two main dirt roads in the Carmel - Big Sur area are:

There are some other areas (dirt roads?) too, but I did not have time check them out on this trip. I'm not sure if there are fences or how much is actually dirt roads:

• Palo Colorado road - which has a bunch of other roads that appear to be dirt which fork off
    • Forest Route 19S09/Milpitas rd (which also starts off of Nacimiento-Ferguson)
    • Cone Peak rd (which also starts off of Nacimiento-Ferguson)
    • Forest route 23S02/Plaskett Ridge road (about 20 miles south of the town Big Sur off of Highway 1)
    • USF Route 23S14 (about 20 miles south of the town Big Sur off of Highway 1)
    • South Coast Ridge Road with a few other roads leading off (about 20 miles south of the town Big Sur off of Highway 1)
    I'd like to get back down there again soon, and stay over at least one night so I can take my time exploring the area further...
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i use that same concept on my dr. works awesome.
    i have a 1520 pelican bolted on the rear rack and use a giant loop coyote sitting on the rear of my seat.

Attached Files:

11. SierraADV

SierraADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I'll have to check these two. At the moment I have pure road rubber on the GS (Conti Road Attack 2) but at some point I'll put something different on and will start exploring again.

Need to take a look at these, too. For now I have to decide how to do that as I don't want to ride there with the Road Attacks (or the big GS anyways), but we'll see. Thanks for the info!
  13. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    Just a little update on my stalling issue. The dealer installed the Arrow Tune to hopefully fix the stalling issue while Triumph works on a fix... So far I have about 1000 miles driven with the Arrow Tune and no stalling has occured. With that said it has been a lot cooler out than it has been so that could be helping. But for now Im happy! :clap

On a side note I still have the stock pipe, my gas mileage has decreased (46 mpg HWY running at average 70-75mph), the bike acts a little funny at low rpms (almost like its starving for fuel or gas). The bikes low end power is way less "jumpy".
  14. Jblk9695

Jblk9695 AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer:
  15. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    What pelican and quick release plate is that? I haven't seen a quick release available yet!
  16. Lion BR

Oddometer:
    The case is a Pelican Storm IM 2200

The quick release plate is this universal kit from caribou.

You will need longer screws and spacers to fit it on the Tiger rear rack. Easy to get from the appropriate hardware store.
    I made two sets of hole patterns in the quick release plate, so it works on both the Tiger and the Dakar.

[​IMG]
  17. Lion BR

Oddometer:
  18. Jblk9695

Jblk9695 AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer:
  19. SierraADV

SierraADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Are there any racks for the Tigger that are removable ? I believe the SW Motech racks are right ? Any others ? Anybody have any pics :ear

Cheers
    :freaky