Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I just use the OEM. Seems to work well enough.
  2. Jblk9695

Jblk9695 AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer:
    I made up a rear plate too, mine is for mounting a WolfTail bag but I may go with a hard case in the future.
    [​IMG]

Packed and heading out to meet my son in Columbia, Ca.--
    [​IMG]

Jerry
  3. easypeasy

easypeasy Why'me

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the detailed write up. My 2012 xc will be arriving next week. I like your set up. simple and practical. :1drink
  4. basepc

basepc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got an 800 street version that came with the Pirellis and at 9500 km I am seeing cracks in the front tire kind of like dry rot while the rear is fine. Anyone else noticing this? I recall some previous posts about head wobble (vertical wobble up front) and while I was looking for background on the Pirellis I found comments from F800gs riders with these tires, same cracking observed and comments about head shake. Can it be the tires?
  5. Mr noname

Mr noname Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    how are the 2 bikes compared?
  6. jimjim

jimjim Just another FF!

Oddometer:
    For my first oil change I used the Triumph filter but noticed it was identical to my Honda filters for my GL1800. I also use Honda crush washers because I have a bunch of them and they actually fit the drain bolt better than the Triumph washer. For the second oil change I used the Honda filter. A K & N filter KN-204 fits but they're expensive also Fram PH6017A along with many others. I'll probably continue to use the Honda filter since I already have a nice filter wrench for those.
  7. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    You might try getting your front up on a stand, and spinning the wheel to see if it is true. An out of true wheel can cause bobble.
  8. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info jimjim
  9. turboICE

turboICE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The preload is adjustable enough to comfortably handle the spec weight limit.
  10. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    I'm not so sure about the comfortably bit.
    To get the static sag right for me, solo, at 210lbs I've got to have the pre-load 15 clicks out from max. Me with full 3 bag luggage I've got it wound up to max.
    So, to answer the original question....
    I think it'll depend on how "smallish" you are and how much luggage you consider to be "full". IMO the Tiger800 is really a solo bike.
  11. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    150 per person in full gear, aluminum panniers full of camping accessories and a drybag with sleeping bags.

What is the GVWR? I can't seem to find it with Google.
  12. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    My handbook reads :-
    ............................Tiger800..................Tiger800XC
    Wet weight.............210kgs (463lbs)........215kgs (474lbs)
    maximum payload.....225kgs (496lbs)........223kgs (492lbs)
  13. RodT

RodT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife and i, have rode about 2500 miles 2-up with full luggage on my 800XC, and it handled great. I cranked both adjustments to the max, and our combined weight& luggage is 425lbs. it rode and handled great, no problems at all. the only complaint was about the pillon seat, we need a new seat, so my wife tells me.
  14. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
  15. motosickle2000

motosickle2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just installed these today::clap

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They are highway dirtbike handguards. I used the black anodized version and I also bought Triumph black bars. I really like the way the mirrors fold up when not in use. They also replace the clunky stock mirrors and are unbreakable. The rear view is very good because the view is totally unobstructed. I used them with Rox 2" risers.
    They are simple to install and all the cables, brake hoses, and wiring clear the handguards with no problems. They are extremely sturdy.
    Tom
  16. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Was there confusion on where the wind deflectors go? In your 1st pics the deflectors are OUTSIDE the guard ... then they appear on the INSIDE of the guard. Not sure which looks best .... can you go either way with them?
  17. motosickle2000

Oddometer:
    If you look closely you will see that the wind deflectors are all the same piece of plastic which attaches to the outside of the aluminum handguard frames. In the later frames, you are looking at the plastic handguard which has a recess for the handguard frames. The kit came with a set of white handguards also for no extra charge.

18. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    Could you please share what you ordered & how you communicated with HDB. I tried to get some advice before ordering over 4 months ago & there was zero communication from them.
  19. ButtonPushingMonkey

ButtonPushingMonkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone hear run the oxford heaterz? I am about to order a set but wanted to check here first
  20. motosickle2000

Oddometer:
    I ordered the 1-1/8" build your own kit. I used the 106mm 38/40 template. You MUST use the ROX risers for these to work. I already had mounted ROX risers on my bars, so that was no problem. I don't think HDB currently has a template that would work without the ROX.

The other problem I ran into is that the HDB build your own bar end attachments are meant to be tapped into the end of the bars. With Triumph bars, this is a PITA since the heated grips wires go through the bar ends. I solved this by drilling out the HDB handguards from 8mm to 10mm (13/32" for metrically challenged) and using the stock Triumph T800XC bar end hardware. It fits perfectly and is very rigid. I don't know about the T800 road version - you might have to buy XC bar end hardware.

The picture below shows the stock bar end hardware. As you can see - I am using Triumph heated grips (which work fantastic, by the way). The area between the stock screw and washer and the bar end is 10mm. The HDB guards are drilled for 8mm hardware, so I drilled it out to 10mm and everything bolted right on.

[​IMG]

This all sounds much more complicated than it is - Just use the stock build your own kit, drill two 10mm (13/32) holes and everthing fits perfectly. This is assuming that you are using ROX risers (which I think is one of the best aftermarket accessories I have added to my Triumph).

If you like the black look, you can just order the black anodized version for a little extra. I ordered the Triumph black bars because I think they look cool the stock bars would work perfectly. They are Triumph Tapered Black Handlebars product # T2041811