DR750 & DR800 owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MCmad, Jul 14, 2008.

1. yuvalbo1

yuvalbo1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greetings friends.
    from Africa Angola.
    This is their way on two wheels:rofl

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  2. HLK

HLK aka Hielke

Oddometer:
    Put more simple: I am convinced that CV-carbs need a source of "clean", non-turbulent air, which the airbox provides. I think of the airbox as a damper. Any external change in air pressure will have its effect on the slide and thus mixture at roughly 1/4--1/2 throttle. I guess a flat slide pumper carb or (Alpha-N based) fuel injection is less affected by this....but overall I'm very skeptical about modifying the stock airbox, let alone removing it completely.

If you modify the intake on a stock bike, you're also altering the mixture (due to the nature of CV carbs). I believe this is why my GPZ500s ran better with a 1" hole strategically drilled in the airbox. It was not an extra volume of air that could now reach the cylinder, it just simply leaned out the fat mixture at high rpm / large throttle openings. To compensate, I had to turn out the pilot screw. Et voila, 1000rpm extra powerband...which is pure gold when you're on a small twin chasing the big bikes in Germany's Black Forest. I didn't develop this mod myself....but it worked.

Most of the DIY tuning focusses on improving "flow", removing restrictions in the intake (cutting holes in airboxes, K&N filter) and outtake (bigger diameter exhaust) and adding fuel (bigger jets etc) to match the supposed larger volume of air that passes the engine.

But does it really work like that? This article makes a pretty good point of why air velocity is equally or even more important than flow: http://www.mototuneusa.com/think_fast.htm

What if Suzuki put in the "snorkles" to maintain velocity of the intake air?

I'm not trying to criticize anyone's particular approach to tuning here...I just think it's a really interesting subject, worth a healthy discussion.....especially if it leads to our DR's making even moooorrrrrree powerrrrr.

Power is nice. I like power :evil POWAAAH.

BTW I infected a friend with the DR BIG virus. He had a GSX-750F something (the ugly one)...and now rides a black DR800 SR43, just like mine.
  3. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    well, about snorkels - when they out and exhaust is stock it ran worse. At least my SR43 when I cut out filter ran worse. But that was pure experiment - since new exhaust have larger diameter and less restriction for flow to maintain "back pressure" I had to give it more air. And larger mains.

It is really tricky area...my other bike - Firestorm...owners of that model spent years trying to play with airbox. EVERYTHING made it only worse.
    The only working recipe developed by GURU who created BSB Moriwaki Firestorms included much more than just specific measurements of airbox cut....
  4. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have run my 750 without airbox and KN pods fitted onto the carbs via plastic tubes about 5cm wide and 10cm long. It run like stink on top with minimal loss at the bottom end.

The BIGs are blessed with small twin carbs which can maintain inflow velocity.
  5. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey there, hows it going in Angola,

PS, nice boots
  6. Brendan J

Brendan J Pfft

Oddometer:
    Has anybody ever thought of putting and modifing a Suzuki LT-A750 quad motor in a 2 wheel frame ???? Its liquid cooled DOHC 4 valve, fuel injected !!! And SINGLE cylinder !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. ausibatla

ausibatla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a picture I got in an email. Thought I would share it with you.
    Check this idiot out. Not only can he not do a mono, he can't do it without a helmet, gloves and decent boots, pants and top. Is he going to be sore. If he lived.

[​IMG]

Cheers.
    :clap:clap:clap
  8. ausibatla

ausibatla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 800 had vibrated since the day I got it. One day I started both the 750 and 800 to move them and the 750 was as smoothe as silk compared to the 800. I thought no more of it until I went for a long ride and thought the 800 was vibrating so badly it was going to blow. I stopped and it was idling and revving really well so I got going again and the vibrations were just as bad.
    Today I decided to check the engine mounting bolts and this is what I found. Sorry for the quality of the picture.

[​IMG]

Cheers.
    :clap:clap:clap
  9. nejauks

nejauks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking at their massive crankshafts and heavy engines will think no winnings
  10. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And got hydraulic transmisson, haven't they?
    Kind regards, Bambi
  11. Silent Hunter

Silent Hunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Oh this is the way in my neighbouring country too! :D
    Not so much here in Singapore, but plenty like this in Malaysia and Thailand! :clap

By the way, I got the new starter fitted into my DR800, starts on the first time everytime. Yipeee!:rayof :wings:rayof
  12. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Known problem I am afraid...Loctite it well every time and best to replace Suzuki stock nuts....and 2 top mount bolts.
  13. the_sad_punk

the_sad_punk Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Same experience here, when i went to remove the engine half the bolts were finger tight.
  14. hellicks hellmet

hellicks hellmet Prunc blastamat

Oddometer:
    Just finished the mount for the rear brake (remember I put the entire back side of a DR650 onto my Big).
    It's more GO than SHOW, but it's just fine for me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. jabroka

jabroka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey guys.. I wanted to share some pics I took yesterday, in the last stage of the DAKAR..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and some vids

<object width="400" height="224">

<embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/1764900209949" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="224"></object>

<embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/1764915810339" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="224"></object>

<embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/1764945611084" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="224"></object>

<embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/1764978491906" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="224"></object>

<embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/1764997412379" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="224"></object>
  16. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Awesome shots jobroka
    Woo those guys are committed, I suppose they are the equivalent of Formula I off road, I like to think I could have done that when I was young to (dreams are free Aye:D)

Great to see the Bigs out there and I recon we need to get some Big old time Dakar Shots up

My most recent Dakar impersonation (sorry about the Orange bike in the pic :evil)

[​IMG]

Found this one with a proper bike and some dust :wink:
    [​IMG]
  17. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice pic of the blue 800 do you have any others than the current 3 :lol3.
  18. spen

spen on my arse

Oddometer:
    Those guys do it with 2 feet on the pegs LOL:D
  19. jabroka

jabroka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. nejauks

nejauks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hellicks hellmet

Need protection plate from boots and crash.And back movement limiter.