Anybody updated to iOS 6 yet?

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by MrBob, Sep 22, 2012.

1. green hell

green hell yawning or snarling

Oddometer:
    i just back up to my computer.

but definitely back up to something.
  2. Daz-o-matic

Daz-o-matic HOT POOP

Oddometer:
    Installed it on my 3GS... two days before my 5 arrived at my door.

Ever so slightly faster (on the 3GS), panorama photo is neat, maps are faster but need more info. The Do Not Disturb function is interesting, but as I'm already in the habit of putting my phone on vibrate and setting it face down on my night table before going to sleep, I find it not necessary for me.

On the 5, everything is blazing fast and smooth as one would expect. Unless you need the Google maps, do the upgrade.
  3. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    http://www.zdnet.com/what-went-wrong-with-ios-6-wi-fi-7000004598/
  4. OaklandStrom

OaklandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was wondering how the TSA guy who looks at the boarding pass before you go through the metal detector deals with this? They don't fill me with confidence, and seem like they would over-react when faced with something new.
  5. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    I did my phone and iPad. The iPad seems to be an improvement in resolution (maybe I'm imagining it). I also subscribed to iCloud for my music hosting and I'm very impressed so far. It's $25 a year but I can stream my tunes/podcasts/videos to any enabled device. I like that feature.

The Facebook integration is a concern as I don't do Facebook and find their draconian hooks into contact lists fucking annoying. I have that part disabled but don't trust it yet.

I'm not much of a gamer but the few I have I use to play with friends over the Internet. There's been a growing trend of Facebook only Multi player functionality too, which royally pisses me off.
  6. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    I updated my iPad just to see if I'd like it. Problem is I wasn't able to get onto WiFi afterwards. It's a known issues with certain routers. Seems to really dislike Netgear. This is a separate from the Apple Web page issue that happened early on. I was able to fix it by flashing my router with an older firmware that allowed it to work.

I haven't done my phone but I'll probably do that in a few days. I don't really care for the 3D view. It's not something I'd use on a regular basis. The issues with the image have to do with the photo image not meshing up to the terrain map they have. It's never perfect. You run into the same issue when using a GPS and unlocking it from the roads.

A work around for Maps is to create a Bookmark though Safari. Go to maps.google.com, create a bookmark then Add to Home Screen.
  7. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if Google will be releasing a dedicated Map app for iOS...
  8. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    The press makes it appear so. Google wants that information stream.
  9. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I cannot imagine Google wouldn't want to. Hell, the "new" YouTube app now has ads in it, much to the chagrin of iOS users.

Whether or not Apple will "allow" a Google Maps app is another story (don't forget the Google Voice fiasco). I'm hoping they do release it.
  10. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
  11. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    I just discovered the native YouTube app gets deleted when you update. Apparently Jasmine is the new, better app. I just downloaded it. It's free and seems to work, that's all I can tell so far.
  12. koncha

koncha .

Oddometer:
    On a phone, TSA rarely sees the boarding pass. My phone always stays in my hand. I flash it to the TSA reviewer and then place it face down on the scanner. It beeps and goes back into my bag.

Visibly, the Passbook boarding pass is similar to the pass on the United app. The background is blue instead of white.
  13. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Did my research, and ios6 ain't gonna happen in this house. Besides the map thing, which is a deal breaker on its own, on our ip4's there just is no point. Add the facebook/contacts problem, and it equals no fucking way.

They keep going like this, and they're gonna lose us as customers. Not impressed.
  14. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I read a list what's offered by the update to i OS 6 and except for what Apple termed "bug fixes" I didn't see anything I wouldn't be happy to live without.
    I'll wait for more feedback but not feeling it right now.
  15. OaklandStrom

OaklandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I flew last week, and it was the same routine in both directions:

Stand is a line (I really like Southwest's treatment of frequent fliers that allows us to stand in the really short security line) and show the TSA guy a piece of paper, which he doodles on with a pen. He also looked at my ID, and asked me to say my name. I had no option to place my boarding pass on a scanner.

Does he give up the doodling when you show him an iPhone?

16. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    Based on the Map thing alone, I'm out. I was toying with upgrading my 4 to a 5 in November (when the contract runs out) but, I think I'll wait. Why do they have to screw up good things? Oh yeah, Jobs is dead.
  17. Daz-o-matic

Daz-o-matic HOT POOP

Oddometer:
    Not a problem if you toggle it off.
  18. koncha

koncha .

Oddometer:
    94 flights so far this year and all of them with digital boarding passes.

Yeah. No doodles on the iPhone. They never touch it and they usually never look at it. After they see me raise the phone, they kind of nod towards the scanner and I put it on there.

Passbook was the reason I updated. Boarding passes from the lock screen is pretty nice.

I am holding off on the iPhone 5. I don't want a larger phone than the 4 I have now. I don't want to carry around something the size of a soft-cover book in my front pocket.
  19. koncha

koncha .

Oddometer:
    Search appears to be better but the placement of addresses is off. Sometimes it isn't much but sometimes it is bad. My street address is more accurate in the new maps than the old one but the satellite image is from around 6 to 8 years ago.
  20. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    Supposedly, there are over 150 security 'fixes' in iOS 6.

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

Sent from my rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk