Big rides, little kids.....

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by B.E. Coyote, Aug 8, 2013.

1. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius)

Oddometer:
    So, my boy was 4 or 5 when I went to Alaska. My video, pictures and tales have had him absolutely hooked on going. I promised him one night I would take him.

Last year we rode two up to Yellowstone. Bunches of 600 mile plus days. Did Sturgis, Wall Drug, Rushmore etc. He was 10.

It gave him some scale knowing that living in Va. Beach that Yellowstone was about 1/2 way to AK. He was trooper. Never bitched once. I was thinking the trip would take the wind out of his sails to ride to AK. No dice.

This year we did a trip to the UP and Northern Minn. Cooler weather, some long days in bad weather. He was 11 I now feel he understands what the trip to Ak. would take and he wants to go next summer. He would be 12.

Possibility that this would be just the best thing that ever happened to us, but there is still this voice in my head that says I am pushing it and should put the kibosh on it.

Anybody else do big trips with young passengers?
  2. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    :scratch

He wants to go. Why are you discouraging him?

What's up with 600-mile days though? Sheesh. No wonder you don't want to go.

Jamie
  3. B.E. Coyote

Oddometer:
    Not discouraging him, just making sure he understands the scale of the trip. As a grown man I don't think I really understood how far away AK was from Va. Beach until I rode there.

The other part is knowing that I am doing something with him that is in fact more dangerous than the average kids' summer. The looks I get from people (non-riders) when they hear he goes on big rides with me sometimes make me feel as though they think it is borderline abuse.

I want him to experience life and see as much of the world as he can. I feel sorry for the kids who are home playing x-box but every so often the "what ifs" hit me.

Big mile days are just a fact of life when you have x number of miles and x number of days to do them in. Especially on a trip like this that would cover more than 10,000 miles. Less time in North Dakota = More time in AK etc, we take our time and smell the roses when appropriate.
  4. B.E. Coyote

Oddometer:
    Here is the video I did of my first trip. He is the little boy in the beginning. He watched this video over and over and over and is absolutely nuts about nature and animals.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SiKjnO9QGIU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  5. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Read that sentence again. You want him to understand how far it is, and you yourself admit that you didn't understand until you did it.

He'll understand when he does it. Same as you.

I don't have kids, I should point that out, but I just don't understand this thread. You have a kid who wants to go, you say he's hooked, that he's nuts... so, what's the question?

I'll be quiet and let someone else chime in. I'm half talking out of my ass. As I said, I don't have kids.

Jamie
  6. Falcon86

Falcon86 I just work here.

Oddometer:
    Said it before, and I'll say it again Brian, it's absolutely awesome what you do for your son as far as taking him on these trips. These will stay with him for a lifetime.

What's the name of this website?

I say absolutely take him. That'd be the adventure of a lifetime (for all parties involved).
  7. B.E. Coyote

Oddometer:
    Thanks Falcon, hoping to meet up with you next Sat.
    Not sure what website you are referring to. My video is on Youtube.

Jamie, thanks for the input. I do ramble a bit, I guess the point of my post was hoping to hear from others that have done big trips with young kids.
  8. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    When our daughter was 13 we took 2 months and rode to Panama and back. Did AK the next year. She's been to Baja on week long trips numerous times since she was 10 and longer trips since she was 11.

My advice is to go and have fun. We found that involving our daughter in the trip planning helped. That way she was able to look forward to some things she wanted to do. Also it helps if you can bring along something to help keep them occupied when they get bored. Our daughter had her own music player and brought a couple of books. We also put her in charge of setting up the tent. Make sure their gear fits well, keeps them dry / warm and is comfortable. Finally, pay attention to their needs and be willing to stop early, take a day off the bike or otherwise alter your plans if the need arises.

One other thought. Seems most people hit the attractions and/or take their time getting to the farthest destination and then rush home. We made the farthest point our first "stop" and then worked our way home with our last "stop" only a day or two from home.

Mark
  9. B.E. Coyote

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Great suggestions. He has been in charge of the tent, that is great. He loves it and I hate it so it works out. Looking at a sena Bluetooth setup for us. We were wired before but we didn't like listening to the same thing. Sena should allow us to talk and he can listen to his music via blurtooth through his headset and control it on it headset with the player stuck neatly away.

There is already an iPod touch laying out on the highway someplace.

What bike did you take your trips on?
  10. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
  11. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most on my R1200GS. The AK trip was done on my F650GS Dakar. That was a bit crowded 2up. :lol3
  12. Alleycatdad

Alleycatdad Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer:
    True Norcal, not that Bay Area/Sacto Crap...
    Apologies for the sidetrack if not outright hijack, but what gear have you had luck with for keeping kids warm dry and safe?

Thanks!

SA

(My will-be 13 yo is gonna meet me in AK next year after the Alcan 5000 and we are planning two weeks home. Not an idle interest above ...
  13. B.E. Coyote

Oddometer:
    The BMW Stoke suit with rain gear has been good for my boy. It is a little hot for summer though. He usually wears the pants and a womans small mesh jacket if it is hot.

Not a sidetrack, kids on tour is what I wanted to discuss.
  14. iBiker

iBiker ADV Pirate

Oddometer:
    West Virginia at the confluence of US Rt 50 & I-79
    I have finally gotten my wife interested in going 2UP with the purchase of a HD Road King this summer. We took some days and covered about 1300 miles one weekend. She was in love with being comfortable and staying warm was her priorities. No 600 miles/day but lengthy enough for her an I.

So warm and comfort would be my suggestions as priority and it is with everyone else. I would also encourage him to do his own documentary video and still photos of the trip. That would make one helluva science or social studies project when he returns to school. Seeing things from his perspective would also be interesting and a cherished memoir for years to come.

I would further suggest some high visibility over garments just for some added safety. Most Harley folks would cringe at that but my wife and I use a vest to cover our touring bag so we are seen more readily.

And lastly, have a contingency plan if you just cant finish the trip. Nothing wrong with that as being prepared to ship the bike or him back to VA Beach as a necessity would be a smart level of preparation should it become a requirement.

:thumb AND MOST LASTLY - GO FOR IT AND HAVE SOME FUN! :wink:
  15. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great topic! My wife and I are about to have our fist, a girl. We did the Stelvio on a 8 day trip in Northern Italy as well as another 8 day trip in the south. My wife loved it and is lanning on getting her own bike in the near future and natuaraly I would love to get our little one on bikes as soon as possible. Obviously we have some time before that becomes a reality:D

All the same, Im a huge fan of including kids into YOUR life and not the otherway around. After all we're all pretty cool and interesting people right??:rayof
    Why not introduce your kids to how awesome life can be...the way you see it. So I say give'er! If your boy is up for it, count yourself lucky and roll with it as long as he's cool with it.

And one last thing....never....EVER let the haters tell you or make you feel otherwise. Let the haters hate..... In my mind letting your kid zombie out on Xbox 24-7 while they shovel piles of junk food into their pie holes is more "Abuse" than expanding their horizons by travelling and getting out there to experience the world. Good for you and all the best on your trips!:thumb
  16. OsoADV

OsoADV Oso

Oddometer:
    This makes the prospect of having kids seem like a lot more fun. I hope I have a kid/kids that desire to go on rides like this.

If he made it to Yellowstone and loved it, he'll love AK.

Man, I really wish I had a dad that was into motorcyling. :freaky
  17. B.E. Coyote

Oddometer:
    Done deal, heading to AK in June. :evil

Bought the latest milepost and he has been checking it out hard.

I think much of the trip will be a repeat of my last trip there, which is mostly okay with me. I made two trips to Denali and never did see Mt. McKinley.

Ordered a pair of Sena headsets and starting to make my lists. Probably going to have to pull my small trailer with the FJR so warm and comfortable should be less of a problem.

When I went before my wife flew into Anchorage and then home from Anchorage. We toured AK together but she missed a lot in the Yukon. Very wild but not touristy like AK can be.

I'm going to have the boy ride the entire way up and around AK, but may fly him home from some point. He doesn't need the round trip, and without him I can really knock out serious miles and stealth camp.
  18. unknown stuntman

unknown stuntman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do it. My 9 yr old girl is my copilot on the back. Never complains, even in lightning storms. Take it easy, stop for lunch, answer lots of questions. You're a good dad.
  19. B.E. Coyote

Oddometer:
    ok, since I started this thread I sold the FJR and bought a Tenere. Got it set up for two up touring and we plan to leave for AK on June 20th!
  20. motoracer51

motoracer51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like an awesome trip. I wish I could do something like this with my dad.

I wish you guys luck and look forward to the ride report.