Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. rob748

rob748 resident alien !!!!

Oddometer:
    i have the big nut on my counter shaft sprocket, i think they changed it in 05 so no idea on the 03
    so a 39 fcr will give more bottom and a 41 will give more top, i think mine came out a YZF most and i had to make a custom boot to the airfilter
    i think the ktm 4 stroke ones fit
    one issue i had on hard landings, woops and bumpy hills the stock carb would bog down

after messing with mine a while a put a JD jet kit in it and it works good
  2. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Clutch.

:wink:
  3. MeanStreaker

MeanStreaker KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Oddometer:
    +2.

I had to bump my DL1000's idle up a little. It would stall 75% of the time after warm when I pulled in the clutch coming to a stop, exactly like you're describing.
  4. rxcrider

rxcrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you can remove the nearest screws in the swing arm - probably for a brake line bracket and a chain cover - bend the straw on the penetrating oil and insert it through the holes to spray where the tip of the adjuster bolt should be. Put dots on the straw on the side it is bent to at the distance that will line the straw up with the adjuster bolts. You can get water in the swing arm and corrode the bolts where they extend past the aluminum into the void making it a real pain to back them out. Be patient, keeping them lubed and slowly working them back and forth; they will come out eventually. It may help to clean and the exposed threads and hose them down with penetrating oil as you thread them in all the way to get the oil into the threads in the swingarm. Be cautious with the use of heat. It can help the process, but too much torch time = flowing aluminum.
  5. rxcrider

rxcrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The parts list shows a second smaller (maybe flat) washer between the sprocket and spring (bell) washer. I'm wondering if that smaller washer has deformed or corroded enough to lock the old assembly together and look like a collar to you. You may be missing a washer at the moment.

Update: from http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2472919&postcount=1

CS sprocket bolt and spring washer P/N 590.33.034.044 $4.25

I now note the parts diagram also shows a second washer between the spring washer and the CS sprocket, P/N 0125 100003, which I don't recall after the fact... :uhoh Never fear; a lil' birdy tells me that this washer at one time may have served the same purpose as the shoulder that is machined onto the OEM (not all the aftermarket folks get this essential part right...) CS sprocket, which the spring washer conforms to for the proper tension load - and give :evil - on all that hard-to-reach stuff on the other end of the shaft.
  6. rob748

rob748 resident alien !!!!

Oddometer:

you will miss that about the 525 :evil
    you just got to get good with clutch/throttle/preload/timing
  7. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    Anyone want to go to Peoria by way of Toledo?

Boredom is a powerful thing, so I will probably be running a bike from Toledo to Peoria Ill for a guy later tonight and overnight.

I'm trailering, not riding. If any of you are night owls and want to spend 13 hours cooped up in a Civic with yours truly, well now's your chance. I have cleaned out my PM box in anticipation of the deluge. I will cover one meal at the Denny's of your chosing.

:ear
  8. ScienceOfDirt

ScienceOfDirt U-Boat Rider

Oddometer:
    Are you trailering? If not, post pics of the bike packed in the civic. I hauled dirt bikes in the back seat of rentals before, but never as small as a civic.
  9. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    :deal
  10. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    It'll be okay :deal
    [​IMG]
  11. ScienceOfDirt

Oddometer:
    I read that, but some people use that terminology for hauling a bike in a pickup bed. That, and the fact that I don't see too many civics with hitches is why I asked. Have fun.
  12. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    I'm out the door, you fuckers blew your window! :lol3

SoD: here's my rig:

[​IMG]
  13. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    Are picking up a Buell? THe one going to Texas?
  14. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Shit! I missed the Peoria/Toledo expedition...and I so love that stretch of God's country....it's majestic how all the gas stations and trailer sales businesses dot the tabletop landscape.

I has a sad.
  15. ScienceOfDirt

Oddometer:
    Don't forget the thrilling arrow straight roads.
  16. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    I like road trips of any ilk, plus, not working until Sunday night has be going stir crazy. It's not too late, I can still swing through Fredonia and pick you up.

Correct, it is going 1/3 of the way to Peoria and then will catch a ride with some other ADV'er down to Houston.
  17. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    Is that considered NW OH and North Central IL or what? Your grasp of geography intrigues me :ear
  18. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    I was joking I have to work the next two nights, but I like road trips too and would go if I could. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I love truck stops and stop when there's no good reason to just love to check them out...and no it's not about the showers full of burly truckers (I know that joke was coming from someone, I just know it).

:lol3
  19. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    Can you run it by me again?
  20. Mr. 0

Mr. 0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Swing, I haven't yet tried anything with it. I was just gathering ideas and a possible parts list, since it seems to take about 6-8 weeks to get parts in. I will give that a try though.

mgorman, and MeanStreaker, I'll give that a try, since it should be easy enough to do, and sounds like a likely culprit.

Thanks all!