Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. ArmyJoe

ArmyJoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a 2008 with 224 miles last month. Blue Book was around $3750, but I paid $4000 for the bike and a Fly helmet. Finding one of the new design (2008 and up), with low milage, and hasn't been beat up, was a challenge.

There's a new 2008 and 2009 going for $5000 on cycletrader.com, so I think that used price is a little high and the seller needs to take a bigger hit on the depreciation.
  2. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Looks like the brace offered by Wolfman/Backroads is bolted on to a tab at the back of each rack. Don't see why Berg couldn't do something like that for a WRR as well--may just be a matter of getting our bike in his shop so he can do a takeoff for correct sizing.
  3. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Some pics from my recent trip... over 500GB of video and pictures will be compiled into a ride report eventually... :D

Taylor Pass near Aspen in Colorado:
    [​IMG]

Imogene Pass near Telluride In Colorado:
    [​IMG]

Corkscrew Pass in Colorado:
    [​IMG]

White Rim Trail near Moab Utah:
    [​IMG]

:freaky
  4. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    Beautiful photos! Thanks
  5. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
  6. onetravdown

onetravdown I can't ride where?

Oddometer:
    Awesome pic! So, did you get "Lost" ? :deal

7. Utah Bones

Utah Bones Gas X ready!

Oddometer:
    Great pics! :clap
  8. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks! :D Well... while we didn't get totally lost we sure tried! The sticker is from "Lost Rider" aka "Chitown" who does more F800GS riding. I take the philosophy more to be lost in life, finding your own direction instead of the literal lost on the trail. :rofl
  9. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:

+1 on the great pics! Tell me more about that luggage setup. Looks well thought out and functional.
  10. freetors

freetors Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like this?

[​IMG]

:evil
  11. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    the Ozark, Boston, Kiamichi and Ouachita Mnts
    And I took it to mean that I had been lost like those stickers that imply you've been to the OB.

I like Chitowns meaning but I've probably been really lost more often.:lol3
  12. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:

Thanks :D I like the luggage setup for my WR250R... We tackled some seriously difficult and narrow stuff (singletrack and huge rocks, etc) and it worked well.

I've got the Wolfman rack with dry expedition saddle bags on the sides (I removed the passenger pegs when I installed these). Surprisingly removing the passenger pegs was very difficult!!!! I had to use a blowtorch to help break the threadlocker they used on the factory bolts. :eek1

The top rack is the Pro Moto Billet aluminum rack. It is strong, stable and provides lots of attachment points. This rack mounts through the rear plastic into the subframe instead of using the wimpy mounting points on the sides. I stressed about getting the holes aligned so it wouldn't look like crap but it turned out alright in the end.

The tank bag is the Wolfman small expedition tank bag. I love these and have one for my F800GS as well. They are quick to open, can hold enough stuff and rain-proof. I've been through monsoon rains and left it outside in the rain overnight and nothing ever got wet. Being a soft tank bag you can nudge it out of the way with your hips if you have to maneuver over rough terrain... never really bothered me. :freaky

I also ride with a Camelbak MULE (3L)
  13. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Exactly like this.
  14. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Ha! Fair enough, luckily being lots is just as much an adventure as traveling to a destination :wink:

I've been wanting to apply more decals to my bike and I did slap on quite a few before I left on the trip. Halfway through the trip the decals on the tank were bubbling and peeling :eek1 I thought it had something to do with the high altitude but my friend commented it could be off-gassing from the plastic.

Have any of you experienced this with decals on the new tanks? You can see mine peeling below but this is after I tried to flatten it out and get some bubbles out. It literally looks like giant bubbles are forming under the decals (yes... I did apply them properly and squeeze all the air out).

[​IMG]
  15. joenuclear

Oddometer:
    If you put pin holes in the decal before you apply them they stay on longer but the gas WILL release them.
  16. joenuclear

Oddometer:
    Check that..... If you apply tank liner before you ever put gas in the tank they MIGHT stick.:D
  17. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... tank liner? I'm interested, do you have a specific product as an example? My google search came up nil.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing because I don't think the gasoline is the issue... rather the actual plastic tank releasing gasses during the early lifetime of the product. This is called offgassing or outgassing and is common among injection molded or thermo-formed plastics.
  18. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a YZ back in the day. The bumblebee decal was gone after a handful of races. Decals don't stick to those poly tanks very well. Vapor from your fuel seeps through. I think that's why the dirt shops sell those decal kits. They don't last long.

However, my Safari tank seems to be holding their small decal in the lower front wings. The tank is certainly not sealed! :scratch
  19. joenuclear

Oddometer:
  20. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer: