BaseCamp v4.2.1

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by DRTBYK, Jun 29, 2013.

1. bighopper

bighopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have played with the new BC & Trip Planner. So far I like this feature, and adding way-point to the route to make it go were I want works great.
    I even found that when I want to Insert (Lasso Tool) to drag the route were I want (have to exit Trip Planner) works so much better than in previous versions. As mentioned the search function actually works.
    Haven't loaded a Planed Route to the Montana yet, but don't expect any troubles......
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    The Mac version is finally up on the download page:

Updates & Downloads

BaseCamp for Mac software version 4.2.1

Changes made from version 4.1.2 to 4.2.1:
    Added Trip Planner
    Adds an easy way to plan multi-day trips
    Round trip support
    Can print a trip itinerary
    Can add destinations along a route
    Flying support (airport and flight number look-up)
    Supports traveling between different time zones
    Can add Adventures that you'd like to take as part of your trip
    Routing Improvements
    Added support for different route profiles for different legs of a route
    Added RV and Truck routing profiles with special route options
    Find Improvements
    Added support for UK postal code search
    Added support for Yelp search
    Added support for named POI search (far away POIs should be found if it's an exact name match)
    Added support for POI category search (you can type 'Hotels, Las Vegas, NV')
    Added quick search (hover over the map to invoke it)
    Added ability to display more search results
    Fixed various find issues
    Basestation Improvements
    Added support for displaying BirdsEye while in Basestation mode
    Added support for displaying and saving the track of the Basestation itself
    Added support for displaying the most recent update time for Basestation contacts
    Added support to have different folders and lists with the same name (as long as they have a different parent in the folder hierarchy)
    Added support for changing the location of BaseCamp's database
    Added Irish Transverse Mercator grid
    Fixed an issue where roads from the base map were displaying along with roads from the detailed map
    Fixed an issue where BaseCamp was not displaying properly localized map labels
    Fixed issue with Garmap Southern Africa Topo & Rec 2012.3 NT not being displayed in BaseCamp
    Fixed an issue with certain file names for Adventures and Garmin Cloud
  3. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone with a Mac been successful in downloading that latest 4.2.1 version? I have a MacBook Air (my only Mac) onto which I installed 4.1.2 about a week ago in order to compare it with the Windows version. And the fact that the Air is so easy to take along on trips made me want to convert my BaseCamp and mapping stuff to it instead of my desktop PC.

Anyway, I've been trying to download the new version without success.

From within BaseCamp, if I "Check for Updates" I'm told there is no update available. If I use the link Emmbeedee posted in his message above, I see the new 4.2.1 version but when I click on the download link, nothing happens. I tried it a few times yesterday and it just didn't work. I thought maybe Garmin pulled it temporarily to fix something last-minute, but I just tried again and the same thing (nothing) happened.

Anyone with a Mac have success?
  4. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Other folks have been experiencing difficulties with the link but try this one:

http://www8.garmin.com/software/BaseCampforMac_421.dmg
  5. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I was able to successfully download the file and install it from the page I linked.
  6. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    It is rather strange. I, like you, had no problem downloading from that link and continue to have no problem. Others are being redirected to the Garmin US main page. :huh

Maybe the direct link I posted will work for those that are having "issues". :lol3
  7. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Maybe it depends on which continent you're on, or something like that?
  8. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dan, that second link doesn't work for me either... got a "waiting for buy.garmin" message for maybe 15 seconds or so and then ended up at the same page the previous link sent me to... https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/index.ep

I was going to suggest that maybe it was because I'm in Canada but I see that Emmbeedee is also in Canada.

Weird.
  9. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    It would appear that this link is not being propagated very fast around the DNS world.
  10. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alas, it does NOT work for me. :cry
  11. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
  12. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Several folks have asked about routing in BaseCamp. Well, it's not your old MapSource any more. BaseCamp offers many iterations of the single MapSource routing algorithm. In fact the new BaseCamp is using the same routing algorithm as the current GPS units are using.

It is important that you understand BaseCamps Routing Activity profiles and how they effect Along-road routing calculations. Then there are the variabilities related to how you can modify the Activity.

Mac-BC:
    [​IMG]

Win-BC:
    [​IMG]

Also, keep in mind that these "activities" are really PROFILES in BaseCamp. They record/store how BaseCamp is configured so switching between Activities can change the Map Product displayed in BaseCamp as well as any of the other settings.

I find that setting the Motorcycle Activity to the variables seen in the Mac-BC screenshot above gives me the same routing as I was use to with MapSource and my older GPS units (example below).

If I want to use smaller (type 3) roads I created a custom Activity based upon Motorcycling:

[​IMG]

Here is a complex (multipoint) route I created using the above "Moto-Backroads" settings. It has nine points (including the Start/End). I created it using my Custom Profile in BaseCamp and then made a duplicate of it and changed the duplicate to Direct Routing. Now I transferred both to the Montana. I transfer Direct routes to the Montana if I think I might need to edit them on the unit - otherwise I just send the Along-road route.

Here are the screen shots of the two routes:

BaseCamp:

[​IMG]

Here is the Direct Route:

[​IMG]

Here is the Direct Route calculated using my custom routing profile on the Montana which I have configured to be the same as my custom profile in BaseCamp:

[​IMG]

Hope this helps a bit.
  13. Bill Murray

Bill Murray Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dan, your observations of how routing activities work is appreciated. Equally interesting (to me) was the small differences shown in your post for the user interface panels in the Windows BC and Mac BC products. Examples include Edit->Options (Win BC) versus Preferences (Win Mac), an Activity Profile tab with two tabs for General and Routing (Win BC) versus the General and Routing "tabs" being separate (Mac BC), to the subtle differences in the way Road Type Avoidances and Feature Type Avoidances are presented (sequences). I know there are more significant functional and workflow differences between the two products.

Hopefully the Garmin BaseCamp development team will start working on making the Win BC and Mac BC products more closely align. Providing this consistency between the two products would make it easier to document/explain, for end users, how to use the programs. I would think some of these user interface items should be relatively easy to fix (i.e, not require significant coding changes). I guess that I should send another suggestion to the BaseCamp development team (like they do not have enough on their plate).
  14. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great post, Dan. I wish I could have gotten that chunk of wisdom a few days ago! It would have significantly reduced my learning curve.

I've a question for you: When I did a route in Mapsource, it would post the mileage and travel time in the user tabs:

[​IMG]

Is there a way to get this besides right clicking on the route and pulling up Properties?

Mike
  15. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bill. I must admit I am Mac biassed. Working with both Windows and Mac, there is a "simplicity" to the Mac-BC interface once you have acquainted yourself with the features. If there are going to be UI/workflow changes I cast my vote for the Mac implementation.
  16. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Jon,

In BaseCamp you can take the Direct Route you imported (received from someone) and edit it so as to make it a "mixed-route". That is, a route that has segments that are routed along-roads and segments that are Direct (not on mapped roads).

To do this first you must make sure that any points in the route that "should be" on roads are truly "on roads". If any need to be moved, move them. Once you have done the above, then select the route in the List and open the properties for that route. Select the first point that is going to be an "on road" segment and change that point to the Driving activity. Continue to do this until you come to the first point that is the Direct route segment. Set that points Activity to Direct. Continue to set each point after this to Direct until you reach the next "on road" segment point. Repeat the above process until you have reached the end. Now recalculate the route. The result should be a "Mixed Travel" route. As long as your GPS supports "not recalculating imported routes" you can transfer the route and it will be just as you had it in BC.
  17. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Since you're using the Windows-BC there are three ways to see that info:
    1. Right-click on the Route and select "Open" or double-click on the route, then select Route Direction - the info is at the top of the list.
    2. Use Trip Planner.
    3. Swap the Data-Map panes and then filter the data view to Route (see below).

Example - Swapping Data-Map views:

[​IMG]

If you were using Mac-BC, you would only need to select the route and the info would be displayed on the Status Bar at the bottom of the screen.
  18. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're a scholar and gentleman, sir. Many thanks for the fast/accurate reply!

Mike
  19. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I think most people that have to work with both OS's are Mac biased. :lol3 I was a late comer to Macs but it didn't take long for me to embrace them.
  20. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just an update... The Mac version of 4.2.1 did finally download successfully for me late last night. (For those who were having trouble, give it another try.)