Anyone out there have the Sena SMH10?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by sixsevenfive, Mar 24, 2010.

1. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    Do the voice prompt while looking at the phone. I bet something will pop up on the phone screen asking "what program do you want to use?"

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
  2. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Per my wife's and my eyes, we must be going blind, as we don't see it in the manual. We did see the part about the raised ridge though.

Oh, and we fixed the "stereo" sound issue...works fine when you let the wife do the work installing it. :D
  3. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Some manuals say there's a triangle that should point towards your mouth, others note that there is a fin (I called a ridge, above) that goes away from your mouth.

I can't find it now either. Might be in the description of the part on-line somewhere, or some of the suplemental printed materials that came with the kit. I know I read it fairly recently coz until then I had not even noticed the covers in the kit.

:lol3
  4. danham

danham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check your mount very carefully. When mine did this it was because the mount clamp was too tight and it eventually cracked and failed.

The screws only need to be tight enough to prevent the clamp from moving easily. Too tight and they distort the mount, making it hard to click the SMH-10 into place, and put too much pressure on the clamp body, depending on helmet curvature.

With the mount tightened correctly, the radio snaps right in every time.

-dan
  5. klinquist

klinquist übergeek

Oddometer:
    Since this thread has so much visibility, could someone comment on this one I just started?

advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=965053

6. Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow Thread Ninja

Oddometer:
    My smh5 the battery life has been reduced down to an hour of use. It doesnt have user replacement batteries. I cant seem to find a solution googling it either

sent from the enigma encryption machine
  7. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    A solution would be to call SENA technical support. :wink:
  8. roger123

roger123 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone found a replacement wind sponge thing for the mic? Sena has them on their site but shipping is as much as the sponges.

I ordered some from Amazon but they were too small. I should have just gotten them from Sena in the first place but I'm stubborn like that.
  9. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    RadioShack used to sell replacement foam for ear-buds. That might work. Otherwise, might want to pop into a Guitar Center or other store that might sell studio gear. You might be able to find something there. Ask for 'microphone wind socks' or 'wind screens'.
  10. ts3doug

ts3doug Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe one for the Xbox head sets? Dunno if the size is comparable, but I imagine they'd be really available.
  11. crick

crick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sitting here in vegas now. two sena smh10 and a shark bt, all in conference intercom for about 13-14 hrs! battery life is amazing- even the shark bt!
  12. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking at that Shark BT kit, I'm wondering if SENA is the OEM. It looks alot like the SMH10R....
  13. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    My Sena unit is about 2.5 years old.
    For a while I've been noticing that one channel or the other seemed to be missing or not at full volume. I'd been kind of ignoring it, but this morning decided to take a look.

(Full disclosure: From time to time I have used Deoxit on the contacts in an effort to keep them clean and free of corrosion: http://www.all-spec.com/products/D100L-2C.html )

With the help of a magnifing glass I can see that several of the contact pads in the base place are pretty heavily pitted, it doesn't seem to be corrosion, but more like the plating flaked off or the substrate wasn't up to par. It happens to be the two contacts on the top row in the back.

Has anybody else seen anything like this?
  14. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I don't know if the Deoxit could be contributing but I would suggest you use dielectric grease on the contacts to prevent corrosion rather than chemicals to try and remove it. Also check that the mount is not overtight or otherwise distorted leading to poor contact with the pins.
  15. danham

danham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had very good luck with Deoxit on my Sena and Garmin gear and would be very skeptical that it caused problems.

I want to thank you for asking at this time because it caused me to go get my helmet (gathering dust in this wretched weather) and look at the clamp contacts. I did not find pitting, but did discover that the %^$$# thing is cracked -- again. I guarantee that this time I did not over-tighten the screws.

I'm out of warranty now, so I'm buying a replacement and may try to "weld" the broken one to keep as a spare.

-dan
  16. k1w1t1m

k1w1t1m Kiwi

Oddometer:
    The Scala windsocks fit the Sena units. The Scala windsocks are about double of the thickness of the Sena socks. They can be ordered online.
  17. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Dan:
    Back quite a few pages I posted a picture of the replacement base that I had to buy due to crack. Before I installed it I used some 2-component epoxy putty and filled in the backside and then wrapped some around the "nose" of the bracket in the front to improve the strength of the bracket. So far so good....
  18. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Having cracked one mount a while back I"m now "sensitive" to that issue (and reinforced my replacement bracket before installing it).

Only two of the pads are hosed up (and they are REALLY hosed up compared to the others ...), and the few times I've used deoxit I've always applied it to all the contacts, so I don't think it is the culprit but ... who knows.

Despite a few issues, the Sena is the best farkle I've ever bought - no contest! :clap
  19. danham

danham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reminder -- I vaguely recall that post and will go look for it.

What kind of helmet do you have? Mine is a Shoei RF-1000 that does not have extreme curvature, so I'm hoping some careful shimming or your epoxy idea might help.

But I'm also convinced that the design is faulty in a way that has little to do with helmet shape (unless you over-tighten the mounting screws). I think that when removing the SMH-10 from the mount, if you fail to disengage the latch completely, it is way too easy to apply sufficient torque to crack the mount, even if it were solidly mounted to a perfectly flat surface.

When I get my new mount I plan to carefully "dress" the latch lip with a nail file to remove roughness or high spots and make sure everything is clean and lightly lubed, to help prevent the problem. But the underlying issue is that the mount design allows too much leverage and concentrates the resulting force in a very bad spot.

-dan

EDIT 1: Sena customer service just got back to me and said they are extending my warranty and replacing the mount. More great customer service from Sena.

EDIT 2: For anyone searching for the putty fix: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18838096#post18838096
  20. TBickell

TBickell And away we GO !!

Oddometer:
    I just watched the "video" that is on the Sena site that has instructions to install the new 5.0 firmware upgrade. Wow... I needed to take a beer break just to watch that. I'm sorry.. I'm not that old or that computer lame but that is waaaaayy to complicated a process to upgrade a few items at the potential cost of it not working and making the old version obsolete. I love the product and use it daily but they have to improve that part of their business.. I have a 5 year old MAC and I believe it will not be a seam-less fix.. I just don't want to call a help desk and press 1 for this and 3 for that and well... you know the rest.