The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. cat

cat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. More teeth on front sprocket and less teeth on rear sprocket lowers the final gearing.
  2. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    This got me curious, so I leaned the right side bar of the bike against a tree, pulled the clutch, dropped to 1st, then proceeded to put the side stand down to see at what point the kill switch would kick in. Thinking about the minute hand on a clock, the up position is about 13 past the hour, while the switch kicks in at around 22-23 past. The spring seems pretty taught, so I doubt rough terrain could override the spring, and make the stand come down any. Still, having said that, I will remove the switch, and solder the wires together. Carry zip ties in case the spring breaks.
  3. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    You got that backwards. You go with fewer teeth on the front and/or more on the rear to lower gearing (higher numerical)... just like how in a truck, 4.10 is lower gearing than 3.73.

So by dropping a tooth up front, you will turn about 300 more RPMs than before.

Rob
  4. Vspec

Vspec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :y0!
  5. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Yeah, Rob is correct. A good easy way to think about this is how a bicycle with at least 10 speeds work or even better 15-18 speeds. Depending on your number of gears, you either had 2-3 sprockets up front and 5-7 sprockets on the rear.

If you went to the smaller sprockets on the front and/or larger sprockets on the back, it made it easier to climb hills, but your feet on the pedals turned many more revolutions to go the same speed. If you really wanted to go fast down hill, you went to the big gears up front and small gears in back and it became much harder to pedal, but you could go much faster with less revolutions of the pedals.

Sprocket changes on a motorcycle basically has the same "overall" affect to your final gearing on the bike.
  6. emreturkeli

emreturkeli "Ruzgarin Tersine"

Oddometer:
    anyone?
  7. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking that if anyone actually knew, they would have responded already. You can make anything work, with enough tinkering........
  8. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a DRC Edge tail light installed on one of my dual sport bikes. This unit has functioned flawlessly for over 40,000 miles of hard riding; it is a very rugged unit. Personally, I prefer the integrated turn signals; you never have to worry about damaging the turn signals when you drop the bike. :deal

Spud :beer
  9. Bighouse

Bighouse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool thanks for the info Spud. So these would be dot approved even if there is no yellow blinker?
  10. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    DRC is indeed lightweight/slick. Laws vary by state, some states require separate turn signals, nearby MA is one. I was told this by someone who does state inspections there. http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Rights/State-Laws.aspx
  11. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably not...for example California has a minimum center-to-center distance on rear turn signals...I seem to recall 9"....at one time Baja Designs had all that stuff on their website, but I haven't been there for years
  12. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is off topic and I humbly ask for forgivenss but, Bighouse, have you heard of Team Toys?
  13. Bighouse

Bighouse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No I have never heard of them...
  14. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with Ed. The integrated turn signals are probably not DOT approved. :deal As always, I suggest you check with your local DMV and state police to see if the integrated turn signals are legal in your state. :nod

I live in Idaho, where turn signals are not required for street-legal motorcycles. Therefore, the integrated turn signals are perfectly legal here. However, many states have more stringent laws than Idaho regarding motorcycle turn signals. In Idaho a motorcycle only needs a tail light, brake light, headlight, horn, and a single mirror to qualify for a license plate. For example, here are some photographs of my street-legal, Honda CRF250X.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spud :beer
  15. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice pics Spud, doesn't look like many LEO's out there!
  16. callison

callison Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brilliant, thank you for the link, I live in NC and this has been driving me crazy:

17. Dago52

Dago52 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
  18. Bob80

Bob80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Central NS here, Toy's for Big boys the Honda dealer there still? Haven't ever been there but thinking of heading up that way to Atlantic Motoplex to see what they got for riding gear. Congrats and I'm sure you'll love it for commuting round Moncton!! (such a well layed out area, compared to Halifax for a DS bike IMHO)
  19. Tnutt

Tnutt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I saw some where but was wanting to know how you and anyone else is mouting there aux. lights! Also is there a certain watt i shouldnt go above if i want to run heated gear?
  20. Bighouse

Bighouse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So nice to hear from other Maritimers! :-) Yes toys for big boys is where I am buying my Crf250l. Atlantic motoplex I haven't been there since last summer but they have lots of gear there. That is where I bought my Yamaha scooter. I agree about Halifax, not to dis on the city but I would find it very scary riding around there. Just have to be that much more aware. Pedestrians are getting run over quite a bit over there so drivers and walkers aren't being careful. Anyways I really like it around Moncton. I can't wait to head out to Albert County and Funny National Park. There is a nice trail that brings you down to Martin's head right on the beach for a bit of playing in the sand. :-)