PDX Off Pavement Ride

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by matloik, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Squishy

Squishy Elastically-kinematic.

Oddometer:
    See how many trees that you can rattle the roots of. :lol3

Have a great time Biped!
  2. RandomGuy

RandomGuy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Trying to see if I can go to this... Definitely a lack of info on the Mt. Scott page. Do they just hand you a map at the start? Is this timed and there's prizes? Is it a loop and you end up at the starting line? Any info from years past riders would be helpful.
    Thanks guys!
  3. Biped

Biped In the middle

Oddometer:
    This is navigated via roll chart. You will need a roll chart holder and an adjustable trip meter for mileage. If you don't have either you can team up and follow, that way you all get lost together :)

The event is not timed, but there is a generous cut-off time. This is not a race, folks ride at whatever pace they want while obeying the posted speed limits. There are prizes. They have games you play like hose shoes, darts, BB gun etc for points. this way even the slowest riders can get first place.

Yes, it is a loop. Saturday's ride will be 70 miles of B+ riding (10 miles of trails similar to what we have ridden there), starting at Browns Camp and ending there. Usually the loops are longer and include a gas stop as well as A and B course options.

4. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider Thought is free--WS

Oddometer:
    Have been to one, fantast organization, super nice folks, good route, (except for one small error we all got lost on, but quickly figured out)

I failed to remove my roll chart from the sherpa before I sold it, and haven't replaced on on the klx yet. But I like the idea of show up and follow.

Or if there was a gps route available, I'd upload to the garmin montana.:evil

(yes, I could get a new roll chart, but where is the challenge in that? :lol3 ) besides I'm running out of real estate on the bars for it. :wink:
  5. Biped

Biped In the middle

Oddometer:
    You guys are welcome to team up with me. I usually don't get lost, stop sometimes, but don't putter along either. I'll be riding a 650, so the pace will be reasonable. I'll probably trailer there so I have frosties available after. Mt Scott sometimes have GPS files available upon request. Bring your Garmin to sigh-up and ask.
  6. Oregon_KLR_Rider

Oregon_KLR_Rider Ripper McGee

Oddometer:
    I will be there on a KLR would love to hook up and ride with you guys. Will have my GPS but no roll chart holder either...
  7. Oregon_KLR_Rider

Oregon_KLR_Rider Ripper McGee

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info! sounds like it should be fun! you all going to be there rain or shine??
  8. Biped

Biped In the middle

Oddometer:
    I'll be there rain or shine. Look for black Xterra, orange bike and a somewhat surly guy :)
  9. RandomGuy

RandomGuy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dang it! This sounds like a fun event...wish it was on Sunday! Why is it that when there are too many things competing for time we always choose the option that isn't any fun?!? :-D Do a couple wheelies in my stead and I'll wait to see some pics!
  10. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Surly?....ack...his bark's worse than his bite :D. Just don't follow him too close or you'll end up in the trees.
  11. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    There is always the Poker run on Sunday. Same group.

http://www.mtscottmc.com/uploads/4/8/3/0/4830517/pokerrun.pdf
  12. Dragon Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm in, even got some cash today so I can pay the entry fee. I'll just follow (no roll chart) but if we get completely lost, I've got the 24k topo maps loaded in the garmin and have been testing out the turn by turn navigation features.

(edit) Found the Start time 7 am to 8:30, ]I figure I just look for the big group of campers at browns camp, but when are we meeting there? I'm good for any time, leader's choice.

I'm planning to gas up at the station on hwy 6 about 10 miles before browns camp, so I'll not need any gas till I'm halfway home.

I'll be on this

[​IMG]
  13. Biped

Biped In the middle

Oddometer:
    I'm going to try and be there by 7:45. Sign up ends at 8:30, but there is usually a riders briefing and staggered start, probably around 9:30. There should be a few RV's and easy-up canopies for the sign up. I'll try and park nearby.
  14. Dragon Rider

Oddometer:
    See ya then looking like perfect weather for it
  15. Dragon Rider

Oddometer:
    Good to meet you Tony, thanks for leading, I'm still trying to figure out how I lost you that one time.

I bailed at about the first check point, gave my card to a club member so they knew I wasn't lost.

A miscalculation on my part of 70 mile ride, leave at 8:30 = "back home at lunch honey" necessitated the early bail.

Hope that left on hwy 6 was the correct turn.

Anybody figure out what the mixup on the roll chart was that got everyone running here and there to find the route?

[​IMG]
  16. Biped

Biped In the middle

Oddometer:
    It was good to ride with you DR, we did the second ten miles about a tenth of the time as the first ten. Almost everyone got lost. The error was at the junction to Lyda Road, should have gone left and not right. We all had a blast even though some of us did a few more miles. I ended up at 97 miles for a 75 mile route :rofl but did come home with a 9th place trophy.
    Hope to see you on the trail again.
    I should have some vid later, once it's edited.
  17. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    bump

[​IMG]
  18. Loud Al

Loud Al .

Oddometer:
    Nice
  19. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    Very, very nice. It's the replacement for the good old Stick-in-the-nose.

Alex and I got denied (again) on my Tour de Trask. This was the consolation prize.
  20. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    So who's up for a dirt ride this weekend? It's going to be perfect weather. I can go either day.