Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. duanew1

duanew1 In my Pajama pants

Oddometer:
    This sucks. I bought my girlfriend a 1992 XT225 and replaced every oil seal that I can get to easily. I even replaced the countershaft seal after it popped out. I think that I finally got it to quit dripping oil. Now I find a drip under my WR250R. Are the drips contagious? :huh

I think that it is the countershaft seal. That is about the only thing that it could be as that is where the oil seems to be coming from. I guess I will have to pull the sprocket and take a better look. Oh yea, my chain is not tight and is on the loose end of the range. The only other person that I could find that has had this problem was Krabill and he said that his was only weeping a little bit.
  2. Stormy Weather

Stormy Weather skier turned bike nut

Oddometer:
    Just call it an automatic chain oiler and leave it at that....:D
  3. DiegoRomo

DiegoRomo Aka Disco

Oddometer:
    Your bike looks like mine! Here is a pic from last weekend, I also have red hubs but the dirt is kinda covering them :)

[​IMG]
  4. cozmo2312

cozmo2312 Canyon Carver

Oddometer:

wow :eek1 this makes me want dirt wheels for my X. looks slick
  5. herods_flu

herods_flu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After doing the tires the one time I probably won't anymore. I figured I needed to at least know how to do it in case I ever needed to. The Cycle Gear in my area used to do free mounting if you bought tires from them, I'll have to call them and find out if they still do cuz the X-wheels need tires too and I don't want to mess with the street tires.
  6. sTE610vE

sTE610vE First on the brakes, last on the gas... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's a couple of thoughts on mounting and fixing tires fwiw.

Using lube to mount the tires make a big difference, I use Ru-glyde rubber lube. You can use soapy water but I prefer true tire mounting lube. I carry it in a small travel style flip top shampoo bottle on the bike for flats on the trail.

When dismounting tires, rear tires especially, lever both beads out over the outside of the rim, so the rim is completely inside the tire. Then twist the wheel out of the tire. It's much easier that trying to pry the tire off of one side of the wheel. Reverse the process to mount the tire.

In your garage use a 5 gallon bucket to set the wheel on to make it easier to work on the tire. You can fill it half full of sand or water or whatever to make it more stable if you need too.
  7. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    I know the feeling, but its nice to be able to change out that tire at home and get back on the road. I know my Cycle gear charges $30 if you bring them a tire and $20 if you buy it from them. They also won't rush it, so if someone calls in sick and/or they're really busy, it could take a day or two before they get around to it. I had them change my GS's tires but I'm currently saving up for a No-Mar or similar to change them myself in the future.
  8. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    Dude, your avatar is gayer than a wall of dicks. I hope you're a chick cause I just can't help but put that out there.

9. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    the Ozark, Boston, Kiamichi and Ouachita Mnts
    :rofl
  10. DiegoRomo

DiegoRomo Aka Disco

Oddometer:
    Ive got a couple extra brand new black GPR V4 Steering Stabilizers left over from my Group Buy. If anyone is interested they are $389 + $12 shipping.
  11. herods_flu

herods_flu Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Don't be jealous.
  12. OSU

OSU Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey guys what tail rack should I get thats light and functional to strap on a duffle bag and what do you guys use to protect your aftermarket exhaust from damage I wish they had a plastic kit what wraps around the pipe like a mx bike. Also a little off topic but I cam across this new KTM E bike its interesting to see one in action.

<object width="1280" height="720"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/t5SqoyR8Ht0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/t5SqoyR8Ht0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1280" height="720" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  13. OSU

OSU Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hahaha
  14. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    *nerd alert* Is it just me, or does the Freeride E kinda sound like the dementors from Harry Potter?

Cool bikes, I'll keep my gasoline for now but very very cool bikes.
  15. jeickerman

jeickerman Full of it.

Oddometer:
    They sound like slot cars. No thank you. KTM 990s sound wonderful, however. :D

John
  16. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Tire mounting question again: Tonight I tried for the first time and got the front D606 on. What a f****** nightmare ... The tire irons I have are too short and I really wrestled the thing on. Nearly broke my fingers getting the valve stem through the rim hole.

Now, is the D606 bead supposed to "pop" on the rim when I put air in? I couldn't get it to pop with my (large) manual pump.

For now I only know this: I will bring rear rim and tire to the shop and have them mount the thing. I'm done trying this without proper tools. Spooning the front on was bad enough, I won't even try the rear with the tools I have.
  17. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    Did you make sure to have the bead of the tire in the dish of the rim? I've done all but one change with 8" irons, you really don't need all that much leverage, if the opposite part of the bead is down in the dish it should mostly slide on easy peazy . The valve stem you just get used to doing I guess. If anything the rear tire is easier imo...

My dirt tires sometimes popped and sometimes didn't but still snuck onto the bead seat just fine using a mountain bike pump.
  18. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Couldn't really get it there with no leverage as I had no real handle on the thing. Easy peazy is definitely not the word I would use. I was sweating like crazy when I had that thing on. Bad technique, I know.

Nevertheless, I'll go to the shop on the weekend and have them mount the rear and check the front. I'm not in the mood of trying the rear. There are so many other things I need to install to get ready for my trip that I don't want to waste another two hours to wrestle the rear on.
  19. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Practice makes perfect. My first tire change was also much tougher than I expected. But the experience paid off the day I had 3 flats on the same tire.
    This doodad makes it easier to get the valve stem in the hole.

I use a small compressor at home. You might have to over inflate the tires to get the bead to set right.

Make sure the tire is pushed into the depression on the center of the rim. Did you use tire lube (aka soapy water)?

You tube has many videos of guys changing dirt bike tires. The dunlop videos seem to be the best. Its about 4 minutes to get the old tire off and 4 minutes to get the new tire on.
  20. duanew1

duanew1 In my Pajama pants

Oddometer:
    Yes this works great to get the tire off but think that there is a better way to put on the first bead. I saw this in a video once and it works great. If the rim is elevated, put a little lube on the bead and hook one side in the well of the rim. Next alternate left and right pushing down and the tire usually slides on no irons required.