the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Thanks vfr. I'm probably missing it, but what sets the Cogent apart from the Racetech shock shaft assembly, and is it just different, better, or both?
  2. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve Every day is Saturday

Oddometer:

Not sure what the differences are other than the optional hard anodized coating. The Cogent was the only option I was aware of when I was looking to upgrade. There are a few more choices now. If you have access to nitrogen for the refill, the Race Tech option may save you a few bucks. I'm guessing the end result between the Cogent and the Race Tech assembly will be very similar.

Edit: Here's what sets them apart... :D

[​IMG]
  3. deathu

deathu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm currently searching for a rear luggage rack that also has some sort of "built-in" tool storage space under it. Up to this point I didn't find anything for sale or even custom built.

My idea is to have little tool boxes built under the sides of this rack, basically between the rack and the exhaust side panel, and similarly on the left side. I will have the rack fabricated by a local welder guy, but it's always better to see what others have done before designing your own rack/accessories, as you can improve the design or simply borrow neat ideas.
    So if anyone has built such a thing, or knows such a product, a few pictures would be more than welcome.
  4. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Knee pain consideration is what is stopping me right now from giving my DR company in the garage with a new Multi Strada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. rpet

rpet Awesometown

Oddometer:

Thanks for the tips!

Suspension will definitely happen for the "final build" on this bike for next summer. I'm weighing the options there too.

18" is for more clearance, better dirt tire selection, more offroad-ability. I'm fine with the DS tires available in 18", and it seems that the 18" upgrade is simple to do, with a few different source options (DR350 wheel, new wheel from procycle, re-lace original hub).

I was lead to believe the GSXR pipes were getting harder to source, and the overall cost could be more, with the header required, but I will look more into that.

My question was more about what a header upgrade (regardless of muffler) is even getting me on a stock engine. I'm just skeptical of header upgrades, I guess. FMF is partially responsible for that... various "bombs" that give you .3 HP of "seat of the pants grunt." heh
  6. PPCLI-Jim

PPCLI-Jim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the Rotopax company makes something like what you are asking about heres a link to all their products
    http://www.rotopax.com/All-Packs/
  7. Ridin'nFishin

Ridin'nFishin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Thanks Albie.

The seat feels much better for me and I am ready to put some time on the bike. I am sure I will like it a lot more than I do already. The KLR will be for sale (maybe) after I ride the DR some miles.
  8. Airvent

Airvent Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just want to give a shout out to a DR650 rider with a yellow ADV sticker on the back of his helmet cruising though CT and MA on interstate 84 and 90 last Sunday the 25th. Nice inverted fork set up! Kudos for riding in these temps, I guess I'm not the only one riding my DR on the highways this time of year. :D
  9. DRT

DRT Adventurer

Oddometer:

That must have been me!
    So funny you noticed. I turned a lot of heads that day.
    I was on my way home to Boston from visiting family in NJ.
    Does this bike look familiar?

[​IMG]
  10. doug s.

doug s. Long timer

Oddometer:
    kientech now also makes a mounting plate for the 'busa can which can be attached to their midpipe, and these are cheap. which means the gsxr can prices should come down, as they both seem to be pretty-much the same performance-wise and both need no re-packing. so, a used 'busa or gsxr can, and a kientech midpipe should cost no more than the fmf.

regarding performance, all i can say is when i got my bike, it had an open airbox, yosh can, stock header and stock carb adjusted to suit. it ran fine, but i only put ~100 miles on it before i installed the fcr39 carb, hi-flow midpipe, and tsukigi gsxr can. now, it really runs fine! :D but as i said, i don't really have much to compare to...

doug s.
  11. Airvent

Airvent Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats it! I saw you pull a few of these on the highway :evil
  12. dljocky

dljocky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good day all,
    I just got my DR back from the local shop, they replaced the steering bearings. I try to go over and check nuts/bolts when they do work on my bike. The pinch nuts were super tight along with the axle bolt. I'm talking WAY tighter than spec. Steering feels a little stiff, but it could be from the new bearings? When up on the center stand, steering seems smooth. Any tips or tricks that might help me have some confidence that the bearings were installed correctly?
    Also, I'm pretty much done with that shop.

Also, would anyone happen to know what size the nut is on top of the triple tree is?
    Thanks
  13. neo1piv014

neo1piv014 Garden Variety ADV

Oddometer:
    Wow...it's a damn small world out there, isn't it?
  14. SkunkWizard

SkunkWizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    i built the rack, pannier mounts, & tool tube,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Mongle

Mongle Cyberdos groupie

Oddometer:
    Always just two! :lol3

HP isn't really misleading...like I said; just math.

There has never been a 125cc two stroke bike that makes 40 ft-lbs of torque (that is why you have to twist their nuts to make them go!). A 125cc 2 stroke GP bike only made 55 hp at like 14K RPM which is only 20.6 ft lbs. I think KTM made the most HP in 125 dirt bikes= 37 HP @ 11K which is only 17ish ft-lbs. But, you are right in that the more rpm you have with a constant torque will always give more HP. That is why when building an engine a flat torque that doesn't fall off in higher rpm is more desirable.
  16. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Do you mean the pinch bolts on the fork tubes ... or the 4 pinch bolts at the front axle plate? NEITHER should be over torqued.

The Axle pinch bolts WILL SNAP OFF if over torqued. Lots of examples here. The Axle itself uses a high torque value ... not sure what it is but it's very tight. But NOT the 4 little clamp nuts ... be careful with those.

The Fork tube Pinch bolts on Upper and Lower triple clamps also should NOT be super tight? Why? Over tightening will Squash the delicate Alu fork tubes ... and ruin them. Follow Suzuki's torque numbers.

The Top Nut is 1 1/4" ... forgot MM equivalent. (inch and a quarter)

To test if steering head bearing tension are properly adjusted ... raise front of bike UP until front tire is clear. Try to keep bike more or less level.
    Steering should go full left to full right easily and freely with NO drag.
    You can also grab front wheel and pull on it and try to feel for any slack.

If steering is dragging, then Top Nut must come off and the adjuster below that needs to be carefully adjusted. Make sure the order of washers and adjuster nuts are all in correct order. Don't mix them up. You could also raise steering stem UP and check your shop put in enough grease. Don't over grease or over pack these bearings.

Good luck!
  17. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Skunkwizard - nicely done and very functional. Knowing your talents, you probably did that in your sleep.

Torque values - from memory - Axle: 47 lb ft "Pinch" bolts: 7 lb ft - My wrench doesn't go that low so I got an INCH lb one and do 84 in lbs.
  18. dljocky

dljocky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks fr the reply Grifter,
    yes, the axle pinch nuts, the four nuts down by the axle, they were super tight. A lot more than the 5 ft lbs I tighten them. I've read about these being snapped off! And the axle(47 ft lbs I believe) was so tight, I couldn't loosen it without stepping on it and bouncing. And I'm a big guy.

19. Dirtmonkey8

Dirtmonkey8 VA is for Riders

Oddometer:
    That stinks, dljocky. Did you go to Redline again? From my memory the upper and lower triple pinch bolts have different torque settings. You should check and re-tighten those to proper spec too. Sorry to hear about your shop visit. Freaks me out too when someone has been wrenching on my bike. An uneasy feeling about a bike is stressful.
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    go with the wide man rack and mount a tool tube on the underside of the rack.
    i replaced my stock tool tube with a larger one.