2012 KTM 350 freeride

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bikeaddict, Oct 18, 2011.

1. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    whoa there, simmer down...
  2. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    Acording to my local big box store dealer we should start seeing these in showrooms come fall...
  3. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    Ask him if they will be plated for street. :deal
  4. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. milzispete

milzispete is it supposed to look like that?

Oddometer:

Glad you're enjoying it. When can we expect to see the 20 litre evo kit for it? :D
  6. goof

goof n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey, Austrian Dude, how's 'bout releasing the Freeride 350 to us undeserving yanks? THEN, directed injected Husky next year. Attaboy:clap
  7. One67

One67 Tell 'em the captain sent ya.

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a weekend away camping and trail riding with mates, and I've got to say that this bike is blowing my mind, it's that good.

I feel like I'm a better rider now than I was in my 20's, I have a mate who's similar vintage to me (late 40's) ,similar experience and skill ,on a CRF450, and I'm leaving him behind on the trails.

This has got nothing to do with me becoming a better rider and everthing to do with the Freeride being so easy to ride, I'm having a go at gnarlier hill climbs than I ever have before (it helps when you've got 7 mates pushing you to go harder ).

It is almost as much fun sitting around the fire at night re-telling the day's stories (and embelishing them with much laughter)

I'm bloody sore, but I'm stoked.:D
  8. NVTS

NVTS Arrivee Secteur Special

Oddometer:
    When is theU.S. dealer meeting? We should know about the free ride shortly thereafter. Street legal in the USA and I'm a buyer, I'll put my deposit down sight unseen. NVTS
  9. 250kicker

250kicker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The dealer meeting last year was June 26th. I posted last year (pg.23 post#344). The dealers I've talked to in the U.S. seem to say fat chance of it ever coming here, too environmentally friendly. It just doesn't dig deep enough ruts or make enough noise for consumers.
  10. error cooled

error cooled anything but asphalt

Oddometer:
    :huh
  11. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    So anyone manage to rack up some serious miles on them? I'm starting to see them everywhere thanks to the 5,000+ Duke 200's sold last year.

I'm wondering how reliable they've been for guys who do LOTS of miles. I'd be thrilled if it came close to the reliability of my KLX351 (250cc with 351cc big bore). My 351 has got close to 50K KM now, (90,ooo on the whole bike). It's only had 1 valve check and about 7 oil changes in that time and no problems. It's got more power/torque than the "detuned" freeride though probably weighs a few kg more...

I'm just throwing those numbers out there as a reference point: cheap 350 engine, producing 30 rwhp, massively long service intervals and no issues in 50K KM.
  12. MexMex

MexMex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have 110 hours on mine, 65 hours on my wife bike, and another 40 hours on last year Romaniacs rental bike.
    No problems what so ever.

But they are NOT dual purpose bikes like your KLX!
    Those are play bike that can go to the hardest trails with ease. They are not designed to go fire roads or highway for more than few miles. They are not comfortable in "high" speed of over 50 mph.

If you like single tracks, hills, slopes, rocks these bike is for you. Get it modified to your needs and start loughing on your friends :D
  13. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    Touluca would be a fun place to ride!

Of course I'm a rider and as riders we love the ride but there are times when I'm considering this bike I'm wondering if it's the best "destination" bike as in the most likeliest to be able to get from point A to point B?

There's an amazingly beautiful camping/fishing/hunting spot only 20 miles NE of Kuala Lumpur by the way the crow flies (35 on the trail) BUT few guys can get there on their own with a 125cc MX bike. It's insanely thick jungle. The locals tend to go there in groups no less than 30 and spend 2 days doing the 35 miles though can make it back in one. With 30 guys they can easily carry/lift bikes over obstacles and are constantly hacking stuff with machetes (one guy will often have a chainsaw) and building bamboo bridges over gorges etc. In a few weeks the jungle reclaims everything that was hacked and bamboo bridges rot, so that makes the return trip much quicker but a trip in 2 weeks is like you are starting over again.
    However the destination is worth it... insanely beautiful! I can make it out in a few hours IF there is no rain BUT if it rains while I'm out there alone I'm kind of screwed! I carry a "micro winch", machete/saw, micro shovel on my 130 kg KLX....

I haven't ridden the Freeride but the question I wonder when I see them is would that be the one of the best bikes for getting from point A to point B? I fantasize about this bike with:

- Christini 2WD
    - Rekluse
    - Custom electric start that can be used to rock the bike forward OR reverse when stuck
    - Ability to use left or right grips as throttles (for hacking with a machete while riding :lol3)
    - A kickstand that extends/contracts and has a pivoting base for those tight turn arounds
    - Having a winch built into the starter with micro kevlar rope that can run out the front/back or side and finally...
    - A quickly detachable radiator fan that can from my hammock when I arrive!
  14. milzispete

milzispete is it supposed to look like that?

Oddometer:
    It sounds like a helicopter or a combine harvester is what you need rather than a Freeride :1drink
    They are good but they ain't that good
  15. guns&coffee

guns&coffee Long timer

Oddometer:
    If they aren't going to be available here.....how difficult would it be to purchase one in UK and have it shipped? Are they available in Canada?
  16. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Expensive more than difficult. Buying and shipping one over here would be relatively easy, and if you search you'll find a lot of helpful information as to the expenses associated with shipping bikes around the world.
  17. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Would getting it plated not be the biggest challenge?
  18. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This question has been asked many, many times here and on other forums. Once again, it is no longer possible to license ANY motor vehicle in the United States without EPA certification. You might be able to get it through Customs, but you won't be able to register it and license it for street use in any State. The rules tightened up over 10 years ago. Some try to bring a vehile into the country in pieces and license them as "one-off", "home-built", but noone has actually proven this successful either. "Off-road only" is a different story. Most imported race cars and motorcycles, for "track use only" are imported under this status. But you still can't (legally) get a street license.
  19. MexMex

MexMex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What happened if you bring into the states a vehicle that is already licensed in other country? like Mexico for example?
  20. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, no good. If the vehicle does not have USEPA approval (for emissions and safety compliance - lights, [bumpers, ABS and air bags for cars], etc.) you can't get it licensed. Even Ford & GM cars made in Canada have to undergo inspection before they can cross the border - and their speedometers must be changed from kph to mph - before they can be licensed in the USA.

Foreign tourists, with the right VISA, can bring a vehicle in for the duration of their stay under certain circumstances. But the vehicle MUST leave the country when the the owners leave.

In the past, US service men and women could bring a vehicle back after living abroad for a certain period of time. But that rule has been changed, too. Only vehicles made for the US import market can be brought in, and they must be inspected / certified for USEPA compliance.

The fly/drive vacation purchase of European cars, where you drive Europe and then ship the car home, has been updated. Only cars built for US import qualify.

The rules are very strict. You might be able to get it here, but getting it licensed requires breaking the law.